looking at an '87 Ford F250 6.9L idi non turbo

dirt-trackin

Found a truck for $750 its an '87 F250 6.9L idi non turbo, the guy i spoke with said it has a bad relay for the glow plugs and im wanting to find out how hard or how much i should expect to pay to replace this? or if its something to stay away from.. any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

-Swanson Mod #23

not sure how much it is to replace the relay, but you can bypass it quite easily, which is a fairly common mod for the IDI trucks.

Here is a diagram for it,
Glow%20plug%20controller%20bypass%20diagram.jpg

I am pretty sure the 87 6.9's used the updated 7.3L style GP controller on them which was far less prone to failure than the previous 6.9L style controller. Looks like $100 for the controller, MidWest Fuel Injection

If the controller is bad I would also look into at least inspecting the glowplugs themselves and make sure non are swollen or broken off.

-old thread-

Stay away from the Standard brand glow plug controller selection for a 91 7.3L. Standard RY316

-shudder- I replaced my orig equip controller last month with the Standard one. Burned out two glow plugs and then 3-4 harness connectors. Grrrr. Over three days! Had an entire harness that saved me.

Vendor gave my money back with nary a quibble, so they knew it was built to the wrong spec.

Found a truck for $750 its an '87 F250 6.9L idi non turbo, the guy i spoke with said it has a bad relay for the glow plugs and im wanting to find out how hard or how much i should expect to pay to replace this? or if its something to stay away from.. any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

-Swanson Mod #23

i had an 87 6.9 straight cab long box and i had to replace a relay and i wanta say it cost me about $15 but. but it shouldnt be more than $30 to $40 at most but prices change. i personnaly think that if you found it for $750 and its a fairly straight truck its worth buying, cause mine was pretty much rotted and i paid $2,600 and i had a bad altinator, missing break pad, a leaky injector, bad relay, bad trans, horrible exhaust leak, but still ran like a champ when i had to pull trailers. and the more you can get that truck to breath the better economy you'll get, i wanta say i was get around 20mpg with it to the floor all day, and do burnouts. its a good investment i think

Didn't the 87 have the updated glow plug controller located on the back of the intake? The drawing looks like the one in my 86 mounted on the passenger inner fender by the battery. Also expect to replace all the glow plugs at the same time with motorcraft glow plugs.

these wirings looks really confusing, do they have any harness or a complete wiring set that is easy to replace

It all looks like a rats nest till you deal with it a time or two, then its old hat.. Its actually pretty easy to decipher and make work the proper way and/or through a custom switch

I just bought a glow plug controller and a set of good glow plugs for 140 shipped or so. I wouldn't personally go to manual gp because if your on the phone or not paying attention, you can fry the gp's all at once, and there goes a hundred bucks

Back