Dana 80 3.54 spool?

Smoke'm

I have an 02 dodge 2500 I'm making into a puller. I have 3.54 gears and I'm looking to put a spool in the rear. I found a smoking deal on a Yukon 35 spline spool (4.10 and up). My question is there anyway to make this work?

Thanks,
Paul

Well I have a 6 speed and I read that running 4th 4Lo with 3.54s was the same as running a NV4500 5th 4Lo with 4.88s. Like I say I read that and I'm not sure if that's right or not.

You're gonna break stuff if you're running that steep of a gear in the rear and you're making halfway decent power. That being said if you're just looking to go have some fun for a couple hooks here and there, you'll be fine. But I certainly wouldn't waste my money on a spool for a couple hooks here and there.

To answer your question, there is no way the 4.10-up spool won't work with 3.54's

Okay thanks guys! Well this is pretty much going to be a dedicated puller. So what gears would be best for my NV5600?

you would need to know what hp your making and where in the curve your making it, add some tire size and desired wheel speed and shazam! the R/P that will work best for you.

I'm in the middle of the a p pump swap 5k gsk. I should be around 800-850 hp. 33 12.50 on 16x10s.

If it's like anyone around where I'm located . Swap that nv5600 for a nv4500. Loose 200lbs. Pick a ratio where you can pull in low 4th direct. Then you won't be pulling through the countershaft and it will live a lot longer. Not to mention if u break something in the tranny, easier to pull and a lot cheaper to repair much less finding someone to do it. And I've been told that the mainshaft in the 5 speed is stronger ? Have a buddy that could snap a mainshaft on his nv5600 almost every weekend. Went to a nv4500 and been 2 years no issues. 1000+ hp 2.6 truck.

Okay thank you for the input. I pulled low 4th with this truck with a stock vp and 3.54s last year so really have no idea which way to go! lol

4500 is definatly the way to go, if your 6 speed is good you could sell it, buy a 4500, and have a few dollars left over for a real good clutch. There is a handy gear ratio calculator excel file in one of the pinned threads in the sled pulling forum. Generally, an NV4500 in 4th with a 241 in low range works well with a 4.88, though I pulled for years with 5.13's with no problem, and some guys try 4.56. Any one of those should put you in the happy zone!

If its a dedicated puller you can save some coin and buy an open carrier for the 4.10 and up gears, then weld the spider gears in it. Cheaper than a spool and just as strong. Stay away from the factory trac-lock or posi carriers, they will break in half!!

Then get on the track and break some sh!t!!! You'll find your weak spots quick enough!!! :rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

Haha alright thanks bigstacks95! What's a NV5600 with 0 issues and 114k original miles on it worth? lol

A lot. They are worth a lot. I have seen them go as high as $4k by themselves and as low as $1500.

At that power 4:56 and 4th low on nv4500 should put you in the perfect spot with that power around our parts. What kind of material are your tracks? A sandy track vs a sticky track are two different animals obviously.

Haha alright thanks bigstacks95! What's a NV5600 with 0 issues and 114k original miles on it worth? lol
When I swapped transmissions with the makin' bacon truck, I gave him my 5spd+ $800 or $900, can't remember exactly. 6spd had little over 100k miles if I remember correctly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

A lot. They are worth a lot. I have seen them go as high as $4k by themselves and as low as $1500.

At that power 4:56 and 4th low on nv4500 should put you in the perfect spot with that power around our parts. What kind of material are your tracks? A sandy track vs a sticky track are two different animals obviously.

They are red clay mostly. Some places we run add sand to them.

Back