Best Oil for High HP 06 Cummins 2500

Bayou Boy

Hey Guys,

I was wondering what the best oil for a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 with 1147hp would be in your opinion? I just purchased my truck from a gentlemen and I'm going through and fixing up a few things. Now, I'm working on all the fluids.

Thanks.

~RLTW

I would shoot for three more horsepower.

Also, as far as engine oil goes, it's going to depend on how you plan on using the ponies.
Welcome to the forum

What ratio of snake oil to regular oil do you recommend? LOL

I’ve used enough of their stuff on my own garbage and others to see their products do as advertised typically. I’ve just started running their oil, so I haven’t pulled samples on it yet, so no scientific proof yet.

Everyone gonna have an opinion or favorite. I’ve seen the real fast guys using hot shots. Power driven has one. Driven has one. Pick your flavor and bust out your wallet for the $50 a gallon price.

Would be nice to know the whole setup, like what cam and springs? Might not need anything special, just run any 15/40. Cheapest higher zinc on the shelf option would be Lucas Magnum HD 15/40, usually under $20/gal here at China King

If it wouldn’t jeopardize my job I would be blending up some home brew here at work or possibly adding some extra additives to my rotella haha. I’ve seen plenty of people making more power than I will ever have the money for and they use name brand oil off the shelf and they change it often.

$50 bucks a gallon? Holy hell. I guess it'd be ok if you changed it every 15,000 miles. LOL

No shit my whole oil change barely cost more than that. $55 or so with a filter.

I also don’t even make half of a thousand horsepower haha

I recently bought 2 barrels of the prior high zinc Rotella and considering the chances are your truck will be primarily a daily driver just keep regular 15w40 and run added zinc.

If racing then 20w50 and change more frequently.

My summer daily 07 Dodge with an 1100hp 6.7 gets Joe Gibbs Driven DP40 and oil changes every 2-3000 miles.
My 4BT Dakota that made 600hp and was raced every weekend got Comp Cams 15w-50 break in oil and oil changes every 25-30 passes. If I made any more passes I would start to see the oil pressure drop 5-10psi when the engine was hot.
My 12v and 24v tow rigs get Lucas Magnum 15w-40 conventional and oil changes every 3000miles.

Hahahaha. I wish. It's the fastest truck that I've ever owned. I love driving it. But I'm leaving the Army and need to sell it now to pay for a house.

Back