Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 2013+ 6.7L 385
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 08:15 AM   #1
Dbordenb

Name: Dbordenb
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Front axle u-joint replacement

Last night on an evening drive the wife heard a strange clicking coming from the passenger side front wheel area. Almost like a rock stuck in the tire because it would change frequency with the speed of the tire. After getting home and investigating I found the front axle u-joint has a good amount of play in it.
So my question would be, do I replace it with an OEM joint or a NAPA grease-able joint? Has anyone used the NAPA u-joints?
And when I am changing it do I need to put it in 4 wheel drive before I pull out the axle shaft? One YouTube video talked about with the vacuum lock hubs you need to place it in 4 wheel and I wasn’t sure if that applied to the 2014 2500 pickups.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:12 AM   #2
RD TRCTR

Name: RD TRCTR
Title: Diesels, Burn Outs & Tits
Member`s Gallery
I just did this job on my 14.

Yes, put it in 4wd or you will have to pull the actuator to reinstall the right axle shaft.

I used the Spicer sealed u joint, available from O'Reilly's. 5-3212X is the part number.

Last edited by RD TRCTR; 09-23-2019 at 10:14 AM. Reason: grammar

Old 09-23-2019, 11:29 AM   #3
Dbordenb

Member`s Gallery
Thank you. I’ll use those u-joints then. How did everything come apart for you? I’ve read the worst part of this job is taking everything apart.

Old 09-23-2019, 02:13 PM   #4
RD TRCTR

Member`s Gallery
Honestly, I did wheel bearings not long ago, so removing the axle shafts wasn't bad.

I have a 50 ton shop press, pressing out the old u joints took a lot of force. I wouldn't try removing the axle u joints with a Tiger tool or SnapOn BJP1 style press as it won't be able to do it.

Old 09-23-2019, 02:56 PM   #5
Dbordenb

Member`s Gallery
I’ve got a 20 ton shop press. Think that will be enough? And I’m hoping the power steering trick will get the wheel bearings off.

Old 09-24-2019, 06:50 AM   #6
RD TRCTR

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbordenb View Post
I’ve got a 20 ton shop press. Think that will be enough? And I’m hoping the power steering trick will get the wheel bearings off.
Only one way to find out... As with any shop press, I recommend standing the the side to miss any shrapnel...

That trick has always worked well for me also.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:00 AM   #7
Dbordenb

Member`s Gallery
I’m still doing research on removing the old u joint and I’m reading using a press may be a bad idea because it could bend the ears on the yoke. Has anyone replaced their front axle u joints with the vice and hammer method?

Old 09-25-2019, 11:41 AM   #8
bracker8040

Name: bracker8040
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I’m still doing research on removing the old u joint and I’m reading using a press may be a bad idea because it could bend the ears on the yoke. Has anyone replaced their front axle u joints with the vice and hammer method?
I’d be more inclined to use a press if available, than trying to beat it out with a hammer.
Also, I second the vote for Spicer u-joints. I’ve never used an SKF/Napa I joint that fit correctly and didn’t vibrate. Every time I’ve used one, I’ve ended up changing it shortly for a Spicer.

Old 09-25-2019, 12:26 PM   #9
Dbordenb

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracker8040 View Post
I’d be more inclined to use a press if available, than trying to beat it out with a hammer.
Also, I second the vote for Spicer u-joints. I’ve never used an SKF/Napa I joint that fit correctly and didn’t vibrate. Every time I’ve used one, I’ve ended up changing it shortly for a Spicer.
Ok, thanks. I picked up the spicer u-joint mentioned above. I will just try to use the yoke ears for the support point when I’m using the press to get the old joint out. I don’t want to bend the ears together and make a bigger problem.

Old 09-26-2019, 05:55 AM   #10
Red Sleeper

Name: Red Sleeper
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Has anyone replaced their front axle u joints with the vice and hammer method?

I’ve always used the vice and hammer, or setup some metal plates and bessy clamps on the metal table. Then hammer away. Yes I’ve snapped a few yoke ears but felt the same would have happened in a press due to rust on the joint and cup.

Sometimes a sharp, blunt strike with the hammer breaks the cup loose in the ear easier than a constantly increasing force that a press would offer. Sometimes not. It’s all part of wrenching.

To each their own.
'91 Cummins w350 5spd

Old 09-26-2019, 06:32 AM   #11
bracker8040

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sleeper View Post
I’ve always used the vice and hammer, or setup some metal plates and bessy clamps on the metal table. Then hammer away. Yes I’ve snapped a few yoke ears but felt the same would have happened in a press due to rust on the joint and cup.

Sometimes a sharp, blunt strike with the hammer breaks the cup loose in the ear easier than a constantly increasing force that a press would offer. Sometimes not. It’s all part of wrenching.

To each their own.
You’ve got a good point there, especially what you said about the shock from hitting it with a hammer versus just pushing on it.

On some really ugly ujoints I’ve cut the cross out, then knocked each cup out (with a hammer) individually. By cutting the cross out you only have to move one cup at a time (obviously).

Old 09-26-2019, 04:42 PM   #12
Dbordenb

Member`s Gallery
I was able to press them out pretty easily. I tapped each cap with a hammer before trying to press them to try and give each one a little shock. The job must have been done before because everything came apart easily.

I am worried that I messed up when putting the new u-joint in. I made sure everything was straight and that all the needle bearings didn’t fall but after getting it all pressed in and the clips put into place it was very stiff. I figured it should move a little more freely so maybe I did something wrong.

Old 09-26-2019, 05:12 PM   #13
bracker8040

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I was able to press them out pretty easily. I tapped each cap with a hammer before trying to press them to try and give each one a little shock. The job must have been done before because everything came apart easily.

I am worried that I messed up when putting the new u-joint in. I made sure everything was straight and that all the needle bearings didn’t fall but after getting it all pressed in and the clips put into place it was very stiff. I figured it should move a little more freely so maybe I did something wrong.
No, a good ujoint should be stiff to move by hand. If it just flops around easily, it will vibrate. Ask me how I know......SKF/Napa every time.

Old 09-26-2019, 05:19 PM   #14
regcanfan

Name: regcanfan
Member`s Gallery
If its extremely tight (have to pry it to get it to move) put all the clips in and tap the ears just a bit it will loosen it up some.

Old 09-26-2019, 05:55 PM   #15
ironmax

Name: ironmax
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by regcanfan View Post
If its extremely tight (have to pry it to get it to move) put all the clips in and tap the ears just a bit it will loosen it up some.
A good wack on the ear always straightens chit out! You won't believe it after you hit that yoke. It's almost always guaranteed to get them seated and working smoothly

Sent from my SM-J260A using Tapatalk

Old 09-26-2019, 07:54 PM   #16
Dbordenb

Member`s Gallery
That’s good to hear. I did it all correct then, it moved around but was stiff to move by hand.

Old 09-27-2019, 06:16 AM   #17
Red Sleeper

Name: Red Sleeper
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
That’s good to hear. I did it all correct then, it moved around but was stiff to move by hand.

As they should be. Good job.
'91 Cummins w350 5spd

Closed Thread