Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > EFI Live Tuning Discussion (Cummins)
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 08:07 AM   #1
tgrshk19

Name: tgrshk19
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Efi live purchase

Ok so i just had new injectors put in and the shop talked me into adding efi live for tuning because i was looking for a little extra to tow with. I need some advice however i had assumed that i would get the programmer/scanner with this purchase ao that i could change tunes if i wanted to later and be able to use for diagnosis. The shop however is saying that he only has one tool and uses it on everybodys. Is this correct? Doesn't seem right by what i get off of efilive site. Had the csp 5 put in with 5 tunes, Bosch reman injectors, edge insight with egt for a guage and airdog 150 he charged me $5300 is that about right i know i could have purchased all alot cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Old 06-15-2015, 08:10 AM   #2
Scooter's Roofing

Name: Scooter's Roofing
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
tell him that you want the CSP5 setup or he can shove his single tune up his ass

Old 06-15-2015, 08:11 AM   #3
DirtyMaxx03

Name: DirtyMaxx03
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter's Roofing View Post
tell him that you want the CSP5 setup or he can shove his single tune up his ass
says he had the csp5 put in with 5 tunes...

OP, were you wanting an Autocal (the handheld tuner/diagnostic tool for efi live)? If so you maybe able to purchase on and have it licensed to his computer/your VIN license.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:12 AM   #4
tgrshk19

Member`s Gallery
I did get the csp5 not the single tune but i don't necessarily want to go through him if i want to update someday

Old 06-15-2015, 08:14 AM   #5
DirtyMaxx03

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrshk19 View Post
I did get the csp5 not the single tune but i don't necessarily want to go through him if i want to update someday

Then you can purchase an Autocal with different csp5 tunes from an onlinbe vendor of your choice whenever you want.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:14 AM   #6
tgrshk19

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyMaxx03 View Post
says he had the csp5 put in with 5 tunes...

OP, were you wanting an Autocal (the handheld tuner/diagnostic tool for efi live)? If so you maybe able to purchase on and have it licensed to his computer/your VIN license.
I don't know i thought thats what i purchased wss the v2 tool with tunes

Old 06-15-2015, 08:15 AM   #7
DirtyMaxx03

Member`s Gallery
The v2 is the complete tuning tool that you need to alter/create tunes

This is the autocal
http://www.efilive.com/product-info-autocal

Old 06-15-2015, 08:16 AM   #8
tgrshk19

Member`s Gallery
So thats normal then always going back to original purchaser?

Old 06-15-2015, 08:18 AM   #9
tgrshk19

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I don't know i thought thats what i purchased wss the v2 tool with tunes

I mean original shop

Old 06-15-2015, 08:18 AM   #10
Scooter's Roofing

Name: Scooter's Roofing
Member`s Gallery
it's normal if they structure it that way

Old 06-15-2015, 08:21 AM   #11
DirtyMaxx03

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
So thats normal then always going back to original purchaser?

What?

i have tunes from like 4 different tuners.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:23 AM   #12
tgrshk19

Member`s Gallery
Ok my misunderstanding then i thought it was like my pcv dynojet on my bike and you would be able to take it to a dyno shop and really get it right if needed

Old 06-15-2015, 08:24 AM   #13
tgrshk19

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyMaxx03 View Post
What?

i have tunes from like 4 different tuners.
But how you flash them without the tool

Old 06-15-2015, 08:42 AM   #14
LAmiller

Name: LAmiller
Title: THE KT-BOUNDARY
Member`s Gallery
With EFI Live, you either need to flash the ECM with a Flashscan V2 or an Autocal handheld tuner. What your shop did was used their V2, purchased an additional Vin Liscence for your ECM and burned your CSP5 tunes into the ECM with his V2. (you can tune 200 trucks per V2) This process is usually around $550 for the tunes, vin license and the flash.

An Autocal with tunes is usually around $700. and is still linked to the original tuner's Flashscan V2 so you will need to send the Autocal back to the original tuner to have it unlinked from their V2, then you can send it to the next shop who would need to link it to their V2 to flash their tunes into it.

Now if you purchased a Flashscan V2 yourself ($900,includes two VIN licenses, but no tunes) you can purchase tunes from any tuner in the country and receive tunes via email or go have it dyno tuned and the tuner would just use your FlashScan V2.

Lavon
http://www.shop.firepunk.com

Last edited by LAmiller; 06-15-2015 at 08:52 AM.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:19 AM   #15
tgrshk19

Member`s Gallery
Thanks for the info appreciate it

Old 12-21-2016, 10:09 PM   #16
1weldit

Name: 1weldit
Member`s Gallery
Sounds like you're pretty knowledgeable about EFI Live tuning. I'm about do this and have been doing some pricing on complete packages for injectors, pump, compounds, & EFI Live along with a few other items. What sparked my interest in researching EFI Live is that I've gotten quotes on a switch with pass through plug and 5 tunes but the tunes were listed from different people. How much difference could a particular person writing the tunes for my setup being these are custom tunes? Is there any one particular person or company that is recommended over others? Once I get my tunes, is it necessary to update them after a few years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-21-2016, 10:36 PM   #17
Ackerdiesel

Name: Ackerdiesel
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1weldit View Post
Sounds like you're pretty knowledgeable about EFI Live tuning. I'm about do this and have been doing some pricing on complete packages for injectors, pump, compounds, & EFI Live along with a few other items. What sparked my interest in researching EFI Live is that I've gotten quotes on a switch with pass through plug and 5 tunes but the tunes were listed from different people. How much difference could a particular person writing the tunes for my setup being these are custom tunes? Is there any one particular person or company that is recommended over others? Once I get my tunes, is it necessary to update them after a few years?

There's a ton of different reputable tuners out there. I suggest using one that is constantly R&Ding files and sending updates. That ensures that you're buying from someone who actually cares about their customers

BD Diesel Performance
Diesel Performance Converters
Pro Street Diesel
Drivelines Plus
Done Right Diesel Performance
Firepunk

Old 01-01-2017, 10:01 AM   #18
RandomHero

Name: RandomHero
Title: Unstoppable Diesel
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAmiller View Post
With EFI Live, you either need to flash the ECM with a Flashscan V2 or an Autocal handheld tuner. What your shop did was used their V2, purchased an additional Vin Liscence for your ECM and burned your CSP5 tunes into the ECM with his V2. (you can tune 200 trucks per V2) This process is usually around $550 for the tunes, vin license and the flash.

An Autocal with tunes is usually around $700. and is still linked to the original tuner's Flashscan V2 so you will need to send the Autocal back to the original tuner to have it unlinked from their V2, then you can send it to the next shop who would need to link it to their V2 to flash their tunes into it.

Now if you purchased a Flashscan V2 yourself ($900,includes two VIN licenses, but no tunes) you can purchase tunes from any tuner in the country and receive tunes via email or go have it dyno tuned and the tuner would just use your FlashScan V2.

Lavon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackerdiesel View Post
There's a ton of different reputable tuners out there. I suggest using one that is constantly R&Ding files and sending updates. That ensures that you're buying from someone who actually cares about their customers

Both of these posts have good info, but please don't forget to do the leg work yourself either. A lot of tuners handle multiple customers and potentially thousands of emails daily, so patience is important. If you have a concern with your truck, or there is something you feel that its lacking, good communication with your chosen tuner and good log files will go a long way into getting your issues resolved.

I've seen and heard of numerous people, who aren't happy with something, make minimal efforts to contact the tuner to remedy the issue. Then just waste money and switch to another tuner, and bad mouth the original guy. Little do they know that a lot of the bigger name guys who are heavy into tuning, all know each other and probably talk on a somewhat regular basis. They have also worked with each other and helped with different tuning issues, and even shared their opinion of said customer.

Now to be clear, I'm not saying you're that guy. I'm just sharing my experiences that I've seen/heard while being friends with who I believe is one of the better tuners out there. I would recommend purchasing your own Autocal and data log your truck, whether its some good hard pulls on the street, or getting in on a dyno. Getting those log files to your tuner will help you get the most out of your investment.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:11 AM   #19
RandomHero

Name: RandomHero
Title: Unstoppable Diesel
Member`s Gallery
Reading > Me, Just realized how old this thread was....

Old 01-03-2017, 09:29 AM   #20
3brorce

Name: 3brorce
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomHero View Post
Both of these posts have good info, but please don't forget to do the leg work yourself either. A lot of tuners handle multiple customers and potentially thousands of emails daily, so patience is important. If you have a concern with your truck, or there is something you feel that its lacking, good communication with your chosen tuner and good log files will go a long way into getting your issues resolved.

I've seen and heard of numerous people, who aren't happy with something, make minimal efforts to contact the tuner to remedy the issue. Then just waste money and switch to another tuner, and bad mouth the original guy. Little do they know that a lot of the bigger name guys who are heavy into tuning, all know each other and probably talk on a somewhat regular basis. They have also worked with each other and helped with different tuning issues, and even shared their opinion of said customer.

Now to be clear, I'm not saying you're that guy. I'm just sharing my experiences that I've seen/heard while being friends with who I believe is one of the better tuners out there. I would recommend purchasing your own Autocal and data log your truck, whether its some good hard pulls on the street, or getting in on a dyno. Getting those log files to your tuner will help you get the most out of your investment.

Intelligent post here for sure.

Closed Thread