1st Gen 1/2 Ton build?

BigPapa

Truckless
I just acquired a '92 Extended Cab that has some bad rust in the front corners of the roof. The passenger side is actually leaking water and there were flakes in the passenger seat when I picked it up. The driver side is rusted too but I think the fellow that painted it a few years back filled it, possibly with bondo, and it's not leaking.

IMG_9060_zpsuch6se2k.jpg

IMG_20161116_194259_zpslatwtvm9.jpg

I've been thinking about this trucks future and I really don't want to deal with the body work on the roof. I'm considering putting the engine, tranny, and rear axle in a 1985 D150 RC SB I found on Craiglist for a sweet little DD. What modifications will need to be made to the frame and suspension?

1985%20Ram2_zpsgx3czw1o.jpg

I will warn you that the engine will sit higher in the 1/2 ton, than in the 3/4 ton.
It's high enough that the shroud may not quite clear, and it will be noticeably tipped to the rear.
I did the conversion into a 1992 Ramcharger, with the same results.

Mark.

I just know what I saw on my 4wd Ramcharger, it was definite and hard to miss once you realized it.
Thinking back, I ended up using a 1 ton 4wd cross member (these have @ an additional 1" riser) to raise the back up.
The drop was still noticeable and I still had to shim the radiator up some to get the shroud on without the fan eating it.

I believe I read somewhere that Dodge used a different engine cross member on the 3/4 and 1 ton 4wds, due to the frame height in that area.

Realize, I AM speaking of 4wds in my assertions.

My old carhauler went right together with no height issues, but it was a 1 ton 2wd.
So did the 1974 1 ton I did back in 2005, which was 2wd, also.

Soooo, I may or may not be helping you, here. :D

Mark.

Hey Andy, I tried to register for 1stgen.org and it said they were going to send me an email but I haven't received one yet. You have any connections with the admin there?

Why even bother going there, anyway?
They chase all the decent people away, in favor of the clique-ish ones.

Mark.

The only one who had left in the last couple of years was you Mark. There is tons of good info over there also.
Great info, for sure, but lots of schmoozing up, too.
If that's your thing, have at it.

Thing of it is, I can't think of any ONE reason I have ever had to look for anything there, which is so strange, because I put a lot of it there.

Mark.

I'll let BC know did you use the same name?

Yes, BigPapa.

Why even bother going there, anyway?

I mainly wanted to look at Andy's build thread since he did the same thing I want to do with the same trucks. We'll see how it goes with anything else. And as far as that goes, CompD has a pretty bad web rep with all the drama most newbies go through but I like it here, too. Just sayin'.....

Back