2.6 Pullers

cumins01

For you 2.6 pullers, what or how are you guys/gals keeping the transfer case in low and transmission in direct drive (manual)? I've seen some "pop" out and cause massive damage. Just don't want it to happen to me.
Thanks

You have to hold the shifter with one hand, the transfer case lever with the other hand and drive with your knee!!! :thumbup:

Really though I haven't seen a transfer come out of low. You can just keep your hand on the shifter holding it in 4th gear.

from phone

Last edited:
If it pops out of gear, I would venture to say there is something worn in the Tcase. If I would do anything I would put just a spring of something to assist holding it in gear.

X2 I wouldn't make any solid mount to keep it into gear. Bad things could happen. Chances are if it isn't staying in gear or 4wd something is broke or worn out.

Best thing is to make sure it is fully engaged and lots of clearance around the linkage to keep it from being restricted. If u have had one apart, you can see the pieces on the low side that can break.

Heres what happens to the low range planetary when its not fully engaged due to a sticking motor on an E shift case!!

Attachments

• 256099_468553523179130_656514833_o.jpg
    256099_468553523179130_656514833_o.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 0
Detents hold my Tcase in low range. I don't even have a linkage going to it so it stays in 4LO all the time. Trans pulls in 5th and stays in with no pressure needed. Which is good since I run a hand throttle as well.

I guess while in the off season, I should tear down the case and transmission and see it I have any worn parts. Dan what wears in the low side of the case? I had mine apart 3 years ago to reseal and then everything looked okay, but who's to say now.

Detents hold my Tcase in low range. I don't even have a linkage going to it so it stays in 4LO all the time. Trans pulls in 5th and stays in with no pressure needed. Which is good since I run a hand throttle as well.

Did you just remove the rod from the shift lever to the case? or is your range selector for the case electric?

I guess while in the off season, I should tear down the case and transmission and see it I have any worn parts. Dan what wears in the low side of the case? I had mine apart 3 years ago to reseal and then everything looked okay, but who's to say now.

Some nylon pieces on the shifter forks is the most common.

i would take it apart before you order any parts. Some shifter forks have three replacable pieces and some you have to replace the whole fork.

Back