Another Rig

'Powerstroke7.3

Hearing Impaired
Well I decided to pick up another toy and found a 1995 12v to mess around with. I need to know a few things as I am a die hard Ford guy and have been for the past 6 yrs that I have owned diesels. How much HP over stock is safe for a stock setup as far as tranny and whatnot and how do I get there? Fuel? I will be adding stacks right off the bat 5 in miters and I will also probably be getting an intake. Any suggestions for a poor guy would be greatly appreciated. I know that later on I will get this bullet proof motor to do some nice tricks. Thanks in advance guys.

Daniel

till you decide more what you want to do you can get alittle more out of it.

First put a boost elbow on the turbo or the cheaper route pinch the wastegate hose shut.
Then take the afc housing off, if it has never been messed with you will have to take the one break off screw out. I have found that a small chisel tapped into the head of the break off screw a few taps, then use a standard screwdriver and tap it in to the groove made from the chisel, works easiest for me to take that bolt out. Then remove the other three bolts two are 8mm head that go though the shut solenoid bracket, and the other is just a standard screwdriver headed bolt. Then push the shut off solenoid away from the afc and lift the afc out.
Then loosen the two screws holding the fuel plate in place and slide the plate forward, then retighten it down and put afc housing on and slide it all the way forward, and tighten it back down and replace the break off screw you removed form the housing with a philips head or standard head bolt, the same length ect.
Then remove the allen headed cap that is on the top of the afc. Inside is a star wheel spin it all the way till it stops moving. Use a standard screwdriver, and spin the wheel in the direction toward the motor, once it stops spinning in that direction, spin it the opposite way but go slow and count the clicks I have found that on my truck when it was lower HP and on my dad truck that if u count the click, till you get to 75 seams to work the best for the star wheel setting and then have the timing set to at least 14 or 14.5 that will get you for a bit then once you get a converter and valve body at least in the trans, (HTS is a great choice for this) Then change to a #5 plate the #5 has the same amount of fuel on top as a 0 but with way better low rpm control on fuel hope that helps you some and have fun.

Oh yes I forgot to add in you will have to take off the air intake and remove the injection line holder that is above the afc in order to do this.

Bad A$$ man. Thanks for the advice to get started. Im sure Ill be looking to you guys for a bit more help in the future. Thanks again.

Daniel

I sold my 2002 7.3Litre to get my 12 valve so I think you're going to really like the power and how easy these motors make it! On the cheap: take the fuel plate out, do afc mods or remove it all together like i've done, and put the 2095 rack plug in via some careful die grinding to the timing housing. ABSOLUTELY DO THE KDP FIX!!!!!! Those things right there will cost you $15 and it will be a new truck!!! You will have more power then the tranny can begin to hold but drive it like a sain man and you'll be fine. Get yourself some govenor springs next. That's a good start! Good luck man!!!:)

Also, if money permits definitely get some gauges and a $35 boost elbow for the hx35!

Thanks Phil, and thanks for the advice Nick but I am still holding on to a 7.3. I just cant get rid of a good rig. I am getting an excursion 7.3 with all the usual stuff. Intake, exhaust, dp tuner, gauges. Ya know. But Anyway, thanks again guys.

Daniel

Thanks Phil, and thanks for the advice Nick but I am still holding on to a 7.3. I just cant get rid of a good rig. I am getting an excursion 7.3 with all the usual stuff. Intake, exhaust, dp tuner, gauges. Ya know. But Anyway, thanks again guys.

Daniel

Hey man, I loved my 7.3, it was a really nice truck albeit it road like a tank! Dead nuts reliable and a fun truck to drive with more or less the same mods you say you're going to put on the Excursion. But the cost of making one really run is what caused me to trade off, that and the thought of shattered powdered metal rods lol. The mods I suggested to you will put a 12 v above a 7.3 with the typical bolt ons too for hardly any money at all vs. the $1000-$2000 it takes a 7.3 to get to 300hp/700ftlbs at the tire! Good luck man:st::Cheer:

Shell out the money for a transmission and throw some inejectors and do the mods I've got...I love the power my truck has and it's barely anything compared to most guys on here. Add a lockup switch to it if it's got the auto and it will make it come alive. Great choice on what should be a great truck for you.

Bryce

Do the KDP like yesterday.
Grind the plate to a 0 or 100.
Throw a 4k in it
Set the timing at 16*
Then baby it till you can get a tranny

That will be about a 300hp truck. Then some injectors, and DV's and it will be a 400hp truck.

Alright. Timing set to about 18 deg, Fuel plate removed, and gonna do the KDP when I find out what and where it is. LOL. Thanks again for the suggestions.

KDP it one of the alignment pins for the timing case, on the front of the motor you have to take the serpentine belt off, then fan and shroud out, then take the bracket the fan is mounted to off, then remove the oil filler tube and take the timing cover off. The KDP (killer dowel Pin) is right inside the timing case to the right of where you took the mount that held the fan on. You will need to buy a tab kit to fix it.

More on the KDP. The dowel pin described just above pins the timing case
to the block <?>, and it's not quite a tight enough press fit. It can work it's way forward and fall out into the timing case - like between gear teeth or between a gear and the timing case. Any of which will result in a hole in the timing case or worse busted. That's why it called a Killer Dowel Pin! The fix is to bolt a tab over the end of the pin so it can't come out, or you can use a jig and drill & tap the side of the timing case and screw a bolt into the new hole so it blocks the pin from vibrating out.

Had the Dowel pin explained in person but I have a question. If I just JB weld the thing there would that work. I have heard a bunch of different fixes from coat hangers to the actual cover that goes over it. What would you guys suggest. I dont know for sure if its been done. 275 k and still runnin strong though.

it would work but just as easy to get the tab kit because it comes with the gasket and new crank seal that you will need any way.

And as for millage don't go by that I have alittle over 280,000 on mine and my KDP just fell out at 278,000.

I heard of a guy just using part of an old reciprocating saw blade to cover the pin. I think anything you can use will work just fine.

Modify your AFC for full travel, grind the AFC foot to a #0 or #100 shape and take the plate out. Adjust the govenor arm to ride the AFC foot, shim the front plug or install a "Mack" version.

Modify your AFC for full travel, grind the AFC foot to a #0 or #100 shape and take the plate out. Adjust the govenor arm to ride the AFC foot, shim the front plug or install a "Mack" version.

I have never heard of grinding the AFC foot to a #0 or #100??? Can you explain please?? I am going to be modding my AFC in the next couple of days on the new pump...

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...ad.php?t=11047

Look there for a better description. I used to be an advocate of taking the afc and the plate out but if you're running big fuel I like the AFC back in with these mods. I put mine back in yesterday and have been very happy thus far although I haven't had a chance to full with the preload screw or starwheel yet.

Fuel Plate? Get that thing out of there and don't waste your money on one!!!

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...ad.php?t=11047

Look there for a better description. I used to be an advocate of taking the afc and the plate out but if you're running big fuel I like the AFC back in with these mods. I put mine back in yesterday and have been very happy thus far although I haven't had a chance to full with the preload screw or starwheel yet.

Fuel Plate? Get that thing out of there and don't waste your money on one!!!

The link is no good...

I have never heard of grinding the AFC foot to a #0 or #100??? Can you explain please?? I am going to be modding my AFC in the next couple of days on the new pump...

Basically your are making that your fuel plate and if you turn it to that shape you can still have a nice fueling curve in valet mode.

Back