14 mil head studs?

swamp_ratt

Snootchie Bootchies
Looking at getting the socal 14mm head studs and wondering if the drilling and tapping is something safe i could do myself? Im not a novice in engines and know a fair amount. Just need a yay or nay and some tips to doing it. Motor is sitting in the truck so i would have to use a magnetized drill bit obviously and be careful. Heads are not on motor. I do not want arp studs unless i absolutely have to. Just dont like them and knowing there is something better thats what im after. Thanks!

SoCal Diesel Custom 14mm Head Stud Kit For LB7-LLY-LBZ-LMM

· The ultimate fastener for Duramax cylinder head sealing.

· Requires that the block be drilled, tapped and counter bored for 14mm threads.

· Requires cylinder heads to be reamed to for 14mm studs.

· Torque to 190 FtLbs using ARP Ultra-Torque lube

# SCD14MMHS $735.00
The specs on these for anyone else viewing.

I am asking for honest insight. I dont need the crap im getting on DF! Just a simple, its something you can do yourself with some advice, or a simple no, it needs to be done by a machine shop

Who do you think makes the 14mm for socal?
It would be best to do it in a mill. If you have access to a mill, I would say go for it.

One with quite a bit of Z travel, maybe 30+ inches...it would also require some custom fixturing to get the deck surface perpendicular to the spindle since its a V motor...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

This seems like a **** ton of work just for bigger studs. Cnc would be best with a tap cycle but im not familiar enough with powertapping on a manual mill to say yes or no. That's a lot of holes to be hand tapping 2x each hole.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Back