Dana 60 rebuild help

cumminspwrd02

Locomotive Superhero
Ok, I think my front axle is in need of a rebuild. The symptoms are when going about 65-75 mph in 2HI the truck has a whirring noise and vibration coming from under my feet. Noise doesn't happen at any other speed of RPM. I double checked to make sure it was not the rear end by jacking it up and running the truck to 75 rpm. Now in 4Hi my truck will make the same noise at about 45-40 mph and then again at 60-65 mph. I try not to go faster than 65 mph in 4wd. I can say it is not the wheel bearings as they are new, the ujoints in the axles and both drive shafts are less than a year old, plus when I had changed all these parts the noise never went away. I do have new tires so I can rule out a out of round, out of balanced, or bad tire. The wheels are not bent. I am guesing its the front axle because i can feel it under my feet. I'm thinking it is in the carrier. I have an early 2002 with the CAD axle if that helps.

Now, to my question. What all do I need to rebuild the front axle? What parts, special tools,pullers, or presses? I've never rebuilt a dana axle, done a couple eaton semi axles but never a dana pick up axle. How much would it be roughly if a 4x4 shop did the rebuild? I feel I could rebuild this on my own, I am a diesel mechanic but I work on locomotives now. They don't have differentials and I have had limit experience on diffs when i worked on semis.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any help!

Should be roughly the same as any other diff, the only specific to Dana issue I know of is setting the preload on the carrier. I think it's .015 that you have to spread the case, but I could be wrong, have been before, will be again LOL If the original gears are used you shouldn't be looking at all that much in parts.

Check out quad 4x4.com for your parts, pretty good guy to deal with and his prices are reasonable and the advice is top notch.

Thanks Billysgoat, I'm not having much luck on the other site getting info about my problems or tool I might need. I will check out quad4x4 for the parts if it turns out the noise I am hearing is indeed the front diff and not something else.

Back