7.3 idi white smoke

darmaley94

Hey everyone, I'm new on here and hopefully someone can help me. I have a 91 F-250. Completely stock. As soon as I start it, sometimes it will make this loud thud 3 times and quit(before I bump the throttle to kick on the high idle). After it does that, it will white smoke and the exhaust will pop(sounds like a back fire) until about 45 seconds to a minute before the high idle shuts off. What would make this do that?

It fires up rather quickly. Just that trucks never done that before and i don't know if i should be worried about it

get a vid of it. might be inj or not warmed up cyl. does it sound like this?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mpZD5-mRnM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mpZD5-mRnM[/ame]

I'll upload a vid when i can. The exhaust sounds like that but the engine has a loud thud only 3 times and quits I'll start recording vids and post it when it does it. It don't do it all the time just sometimes

that white smoke for this engine is injectors i believe. i dont know how many miles are on this since its engine was swapped before us. it has a 90s idi in a 88 body.

Well there's a lil bit of a story behind how I got mine. My grandfather bought it brand new in 91. He passed away in january. A few months after he passed away I got it. About the time I replaced the o rings on the injectors it started doin that. I don't know a whole lot about diesel

Ive never really looked into it but my buddy has one that will kinda thump sometimes and I thought it sounded like motor mounts.

Im gettin the injectors changed Monday and hopefully that will take care of the problem. Does anyone know if the smoke could be cause from it bein really cold? Or cold natured?

Well it has a lil more power and don't white smoke anymore but doesn't have the power I expected to get back. I was told my injector will need to be replaced but will last for a lil while. Which brings up my next question. Will a 7.3 idi turbo injector pump work on a 7.3 non turbo? What's the difference?

Back