External oil pump ??

cjreckart

Im building a new pulling motor and wanna do external wet sump setup. Have done some searching and came up with a few diff pumps. So my question is which pump is the best? Ive also seen tractor pullers run hydralic pumps as oil pumps. Is there a down fall to the hydralic pump other than not being able to run the turbo oil seperatly? Also looki g for a oil cooler block off like keating make but he doesnt make one for the 6.7 block. Any info would b appreciated.

Basically what im looking to do is run external oil pump as a lil extra insurance.

I'm guessing the difference in dry and wet is that wet continues to use the standard oil pan as oil storage, and the dry sump would also add a scavenge pump to pull oil out of pan to an external tank?

What is the biggest issue, getting the pressurized oil back where it needs to be to feed the engine from the external pump?

The big benefit is having the extra scavenge stages to suck the aerated oil out of the crank case and keep it away from the crank. This is usually more important in something like a drag racing engine or an offshore marine racing engine that is subject to high G side loads that pushes the oil to the corners or back of the pan and away from the pickup and into the crank throws. The other benefit is the high capacity of the systems and tank design allow the air to separate from the oil before it is pumped back into the engine. These benefits combined together to maintain proper oil pressure and reduce erosion at the bearings and can greatly increase bottom end reliability in certain applications.

Just spoke w another guy around home here. He has a 4 stage peterson dry sump pump. Am i able to use this pump in a wet sump setup. Basically told me i cld have it.

Back