Piston Rings

I may have misread but I do believe that I have heard of a few instances of cylinder wall galling with the Monotherm pistons. I'm sure the aluminum has to be easier on the cylinder walls at high rpms especially if things get hot and the oil film breaks down.

So aside from everyone talking about a piston, does anyone have any info for the original question asked?

I'm assuming your using a gapless 2nd ring .. To try get best leak done in OEM rings.. I have great luck with total seals rings on 2nd ring .. As per OEM style piston no keystone is only option .. Unless u machine oem piston ring gland .. Custom forged pistons all use a common gas style top ring ..don't expect great leak down on them .. Cyl Wall finish and ring end gap will affect leak down as much as ring style ..

Last edited:
What are we calling a street truck here? Sounds like most of these trucks being discussed are HIGH horsepower, and if they really are "street" trucks, they are more of the weekend warrior type. Not too many people doing what Lavon is doing, so the thought of testing those pistons for 100k miles in 100 engines just isn't possible. Plus, how many engines at that level have you seen last 100k miles before something catastrophic happens LOL I know this is hypothetical, just my 2 cents.

Anyone have any experience with using a piston ring other than the Keystone style. I am not happy with the leak down numbers I am getting.

The idea of a keystone ring is better ring seal under cylinder pressure. A leak down test of keystone vs conventional is not a apples to apples comparison.

Back