One wire alternator

Red Sleeper

My 91 has recently eaten two voltage regulators. What I believe was the OEM regulator lasted up until two months ago, Made in USA was printed on the body. Two china regulators later I was advised to switch to a GM style one wire alternator by PA Performance. Symptom is the voltage creeps up to 16-17 volts and warms up the yellow top battery. For now I have unplugged the alternator charging wire when driving the truck.

PA Performance states a lifetime warranty, not sure if that includes wear items such as brushes and bearings. Plan to call them Monday before placing the order and ask a few more questions. Anyone else switch to a one wire setup on their 1st gen? Seems this is a common problem, and a one wire setup is the fix.

Recently built new battery cables with new ends thinking my issue was there. Problem still exist.

136A Denso Style Alternator 5.9 Cummins 1-Wire (2227SE)

I just went thru this same issue with my boat, which has Twin cummins. It would charge up to 17v and cause problems with the chart plotter.
All I did was change to a pair of regular deep cycle batts and it stays at 14.5v, no other changes.

I can also say I've seen over charge issues with late model Yamaha 4strokes that run optima's.

For a lot less money you can put a transpo internal voltage regulator in your stock alternator. Want to say they’re about $20. I’ve installed them on 3 or 4 trucks now without issue. Cheers

Jason, I’ve been running this one (massive) yellow top for about 3 years now. From my research, poor grounding between body and chassis or body and engine causes issues with these regulators. I’ll likely add dedicated ground strap from old rusty body to chassis.

j.fondler, I found the add on internal regulator. Think I’m going to order one and try that route first. Much less than the entire one wire alternator from PA. Which I’m sure is an outstanding unit, I’m just looking for a better mouse trap.

Links to ones I found.

https://farfromstockstore.com/products/cummins-internal-voltage-regulator

Transpo IN 8315 Dodge Ram Cummins 1-wire Alternator Regulator conversion 1993 92 | eBay

I’ve had the same luck with the transpo regulator both of mine is going on 5 years old now with no problems.

I installed the transpo internal regulator yesterday. Followed the directions included in the box and bent back the terminal not supplying 12v power with key on. In my case it was the upper terminal going to the green wire from the transpo. Unplugged the external voltage regulator and verified voltage before firing up.
All checked out good and is charging as it should. Sure glad I found this $25 upgrade thanks to the CompD members.

e309401711f2592ca33a13c41cb75983.jpg
56e8556c58e9a890d377ccfde7752b75.jpg
e3f4dad439241e3d58cdec330309f807.jpg

Back