Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- GM > EFI Live Tuning Discussion (GM/Allison)
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
kauser44

Name: kauser44
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Pilot injection? Pulling tune

On an all out pulling tune do you guys run any pilot injection? So far this year Ive ran with my pilot tables zeroed out. The truck runs fairly well but always looking to gain feet. This weekend im going to try to run with some pilot injection put back in. Whats your thoughts on this?

Old 08-18-2012, 10:21 PM   #2
Bondurch

Name: Bondurch
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauser44 View Post
On an all out pulling tune do you guys run any pilot injection? So far this year Ive ran with my pilot tables zeroed out. The truck runs fairly well but always looking to gain feet. This weekend im going to try to run with some pilot injection put back in. Whats your thoughts on this?
From what I have read the pilot injection should be over shadowed by the big fuel your dumping through the main injection. That being said I am running a little pilot injection on the bigger tune. Let me know if the bump gave you a foot or three.

1995 Dodge 5.9L - project build

Old 08-24-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
ikeG

Name: ikeG
Title: Oughta Know Better
Member`s Gallery
I believe pilot injection shuts off over 2500ish rpm, so if you have it matted, its not a factor!

Old 08-31-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
kauser44

Member`s Gallery
Im not sure if it really makes a difference but it felt like the truck ran stronger with no pilot. Also not real sure how the torque limited injection quantity and base torque tables come into play. Max them out or zero them out thoughts? Thanks for the input.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
phale

Name: phale
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
torque limited injection quantity has everything to do with the defuel during shifts on the lb7/lly trucks. The base torque is a reference value that determines the quantity of fuel delivered to the engine. Both need to be changed to give the best possible results, but you cannot just max or zero them out. That would give some really bad results.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:32 AM   #6
kauser44

Member`s Gallery
So if the truck is set up only to have 4th gear than torque limited injection quantity should not even come into play since the truck doesn't shift correct?
I understand you could have a driveability issue with just maxing out the base torque table but is it still a bad idea if all your concerned about is wot operation? I'm refering to pure pulling trucks with no street use.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
phale

Member`s Gallery
if you are only using one gear, then yes the torque limited injection could theoretically be maxed out with no ill effects. If you max out base torque then you would have a throttle that was either on or off, so spooling or even getting to the line would be very difficult. Something like this would likely work pretty well though. Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

Old 09-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
kauser44

Member`s Gallery
I use a dsp2 and set the dsp side of the switch to factory like configurations and the base side is the pulling tune. This way i can drive around the pits with no surging as you describe or the on off effect. I thank you for your input and knowledge. Another table i'm not sure i fully understand is the injection timing after pilot. If I zero out the pilot table is the injection timing after pilot table effected? Or does it just go off of were pilot injection would have taken place?

Old 09-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
phale

Member`s Gallery
If you zero out the pilot pulse table then the injection timing after pilot essentially becomes inactive since there is no pilot to wait to finish.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:34 AM   #10
KB3MMX

Name: KB3MMX
Title: Diesel Addict
Member`s Gallery
I usually only kill pilot at higher load and rpm. You're safe to kill pilot quantity from 2100rpm/100mm3 up(or 80mm3 up on a LB7/LLY)... Keeping it active down lower will burn cleaner and have less cyl pressure spikes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by KB3MMX; 06-26-2013 at 03:35 AM.

Closed Thread