(1) D2700 vs (2) Stock Batteries in '95 12v Cummins

Byron@XSPower

For those of you asking how 1 XSPower battery would perform in a diesel application:

I recently replaced my 2 stock flooded style batteries with 1 used D2700 battery (stock size, group 27) The truck is a '95 Dodge 2500 with the 12v Cummins engine.

Voltage drop on start up with 2 stock batteries:

[ame="http://s1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/1slowhatch3/XSPower/?action=view&current=SledPull076.mp4"]XSPower :: SledPull076.mp4 video by 1slowhatch3 - Photobucket[/ame]

After replacing them with 1 D2700:

[ame="http://s1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/1slowhatch3/XSPower/?action=view&current=SledPull090.mp4"]XSPower :: SledPull090.mp4 video by 1slowhatch3 - Photobucket[/ame]

Notice that the (2) stock batteries performed worse than (1) D2700. The single D2700 did .6-.8 volts better on cranking!

Showing it is a direct replacement, even works with the stock hold down:

SledPull092.jpg

Stay tuned, I will update this thread as time goes on. It will be a long term, daily driver test, including sub-freezing starts...

Last edited:
Wow. I would like to swap my truck to one battery so I'm gonna be watching your test for sure. Heck I may stop in one day and check ya'll out.

Is there a special charger required? How about jumping a vehicle with an XSPower battery?

No problems jumping them.

You can charge the XSPower batteries with your stock alternator. If you need to charge the battery out of the vehicle, they do require a charger recommended for AGM use.

Do you have any dealers in Northern IN? My Truck is going to need to have the passenger side battery relocated to the drivers side, but if I could get away with one battery, that would be great!

I've got a dealer in Hammond, IN.

Vehicle Specialties, Inc.

(219)-845-4473

I've also got somebody in Chicago, depending on how Northern you are in Indiana...

Can you do a long term -30*F test?

I need a battery that isn't ruined after every winter. This is 2 winters in a row now I've had to replace both batteries due to freezing.

Last edited:
Can you do a long term -30*F test?

I need a battery that isn't ruined after every winter. This is 2 winters in a row now I've had to replace both batteries due to freezing.

I'd run (2) D2700 in your truck. The battery problems would disappear.

I'll get some good videos of cold starts in my truck when winter hits.

Extreme cold won't ruin these? Are they dry?

Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM). They don't contain the "flooded electrolyte" that often damages conventional batteries in extreme cold weather. The glass mat absorbs the electrolyte, so it can't freeze/expand and damage the battery.

Back