Silver Bullet vs HTT 66/16 vs Turbonetics

sleepin-sport

I'm basically looking for the ultimate single. Would like for the turbo to support 600hp on #2 only and also able to squeeze 700hp with some giggle gas. I like the Silver Bullet but have heard of several blown chargers. My truck is a daily driver and turbo lag doesn't bother me. Is there any ball bearing turbos from Turbonetics or Garrett that will perform similar to the SB and can also be daily driven?
Thanks

02, HRVP, mach 6, Fass 150

I ran the SB for awhile loved it! If I was going back to a 66 I am going to look into Turbonetics. I know Tom and Garrett run their locomotive singles and have yet to here them complain?
Brandon

I've got a HT 64/14 @ 620 on a dialy driver/worktruck. Lag isn't bad at all, however with my torque converter it is a little much for towing. Had it on the truck for over two years with no troubles.

Slowpoke said:
I've got a HT 64/14 @ 620 on a dialy driver/worktruck. Lag isn't bad at all, however with my torque converter it is a little much for towing. Had it on the truck for over two years with no troubles.
Slowpoke,
What are you running for injectors and timing ? I have a set of believed to be Garmons' 370's and am at 18* but will probably dyno at around 25-30.

Jim Fulmer said:
I've got a T-66 P trim with a .81 A/R housing that should be for sale in the near future.

Jim

Are you still running the Silver Bullet in your signature. Just curious as to why you would sell the T-66 and still run the SB....?

sleepin-sport said:
Are you still running the Silver Bullet in your signature. Just curious as to why you would sell the T-66 and still run the SB....?

Yes I still run the bullet and will continue to do so but it may get a big turbo added to the bottom.

The T-66, T-88 and T-106 along with a liquid to air intercooler and a 13mm pump are all parts I have that I'm going to be selling one at a time.

First is the 88, it's at the turbo shop as we speak for a complete check-up, once it sells I'll go to another part as I'm not going to put huge amounts of money into parts and hope they all sell.

Jim

Yeah I'm kinda curious why you dont see a lot of turbonetics chargers on Cummins, and Garretts for that matter. Is the s300 frame just a better all around base charger?

I don't know about Turbonetics, but every Garrett that I've touched has melted the turbine wheel. I don't think they were designed for the continuous heat and exhaust flow our engines put out.

joefarmer said:
I don't know about Turbonetics, but every Garrett that I've touched has melted the turbine wheel. I don't think they were designed for the continuous heat and exhaust flow our engines put out.

Interesting, cause I have heard of someone else melting the turbine wheel.
I have seen 1800-1900 on my egt and all of the borgs I have taken off have looked great.

With the exception of snapping one shaft and destroying the fins, BorgWarner turbines that I've dealt with have all looked great.

I'm thinking of going with a SB for now and when the time comes for *nx* I'll be in the market for an external wastegate. Which size would be best for a dual stage kit? 38mm.....? Or how about a 50mm blow off valve? would this work just as effectively as a external wastegate? I'm just trying to save the SB while it's under the squeeze

Last edited:
sleepin-sport said:
I'm thinking of going with a SB for now and when the time comes for *nx* I'll be in the market for an external wastegate. Which size would be best for a dual stage kit? 38mm.....? Or how about a 50mm blow off valve? would this work just as effectively as a external wastegate? I'm just trying to save the SB while it's under the squeeze

I think the SB will work fine with nitrous check with some of the guys on here. I do have a SB for sale for a second gen.

I've heard from other guys on here that they have blown on the giggle gas (700+hp dyno runs). How much do you want for the SB? I'm kind of weary of buying a used one incase it breaks and have no warrantee.

sleepin-sport said:

The wastegate is a much better idea. The blow-off valve will only limit boost pressures seen in the manifold, not the speed of the turbine.....so the wastegate is what i would go with!!

Ramtd02 said:
The wastegate is a much better idea. The blow-off valve will only limit boost pressures seen in the manifold, not the speed of the turbine.....so the wastegate is what i would go with!!

The idea behind the blowoff valve is if you have something in the intake after the turbo that can block airflow. It lets the boost dump when the butterfly is shut.

There have been several guys hit 800 with this charger.

Charger for sale here.

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22498

i did 1289.3 HP on my single and it was a daily dragster, oh i meen daily driver. It was a Turbnetics. They have the best warrenty. It wasn't a perfect fit, but after some mods it looked stock. Also it takes time figuring out the correct size. As for the best bolt in turbo, minus the warrenty, the ATS 5000 (k31) was real nice. ATS had there wheels CNC'd and it spooled real well. I,m really looking forward to trying the NEW WASTEGATED 71 that Industrial has. This looks to be one of the best bolt units out, in my opinion.

Thanks for the opinions guys but I ordered a gray bullet 66 from industrial yesterday. I spoke with Brady and they had some kind of turbo special going on and he got me a pretty good deal.

Nitrous VOIDS your warranty on all except Turbonetics units. I wish someone would have told me that before I bought the turbo with the warranty.

Back