>3000lb 12v

TheBullRoars

<3000lb 12v

This is a budget build and i can only tinker with it on the weekends, so it will take some time.

At full race weight of 3400 (fuel, driver, cage, etc) 560 hp would be enough power to run 9.99, thats the initial goal.

I found a low mileage 12v for a great deal, then a stock 47rh complete w torque converter a couple days later for a steal.

I grabbed a 98 s10 reg cab short box 2wd (my trans is 4wd for now) and got to work tearing it down.

Heres the 350 dollar truck from the rust belt when I got it.

Attachments

• 20150709_172314.jpg
    20150709_172314.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Got to work tearing it down. Wheeling and dealing on parts, i have almost no money into the whole project so far.

Now I need to plan things out and could use ideas. I have a buddy thats very familiar w s10s and that will help but im looking to go outside the box on this one

Attachments

• CAM00043.jpg
    CAM00043.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 0
  • CAM00080.jpg
    CAM00080.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 0
  • CAM00085.jpg
    CAM00085.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 0
  • CAM00087.jpg
    CAM00087.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 0
  • CAM00092.jpg
    CAM00092.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 0
I ****ed up the title of the thread lol can somebody change it? I have been drinking but yes this seems like a good idea sober.

Goal weight sans driver is under 3k

The 20 year old rust belt frame needs to be blasted and painted. As well as resealing the engine.

Chassis and body plans first.. i dont know if i want to stick w the s10 truck or do a clean rat rod.

S10- nose heavy, lots of body panels but widely available and the biggest work would be the firewall and trans tunnel.

Rod - can mount engine further back, can chop the existing cab or find a senior truck or car body, and build a truck box to fit.

Another idea was to mount the engine where the cab sat, move the cab back into the bed space, and fab up a very short box. With no fenders, hood, or production short box it would be crazy light and possibly hook better w ideal weight distribution?

all the real thought needs to be focused on the chassis

Ideas and advice much appreciated

Last edited:
Definitely try and move the engine back, but keep the hood and front end in tact as well. Just cut the firewall, and build a removable panel so you can work on it easy.

Look at Joefarmer's Cummins S10 for inspiration.
Chris

I have joefarmer's links and pictures saved. Very clean truck. Did he ever get traction and power to the ground?

I didnt see the ram50 thread so now i have some reading to do

I guess my problem w the s10 configuration is that with the engine moved back or not, its nearly inside the cab. Comically i think of trying to mount seats and controls around the back of the head and valve cover.

And the removable firewall section is a great idea that i wouldn't have thought of if i didnt make this thread. Thanks

What ever happened w joefarmers truck? End up getting down?

Keep all the body in the factory locations. Back half it, and gut it. No reason you can't get it close to or under 3000lbs

Im thinking thats best. With a back half and fiberglass bed sides wouldnt it be extremely front heavy or is it not a huge deal? It is a short wheelbase and the extra trans weight would help. Obviously battery and fuel cell in back. Possibly intercooler as well. Thought about radiator in back as well but that would be a lot of plumbing

What did that thing end up weighing? I know my Dmax street rod is ~3500lbs with me in it.

I think he was somewhere in the 2700-2900lb range...with a 4x4 :Cheer: He did a lot of things other people might be leery of doing though, like swiss cheesing the frame.

I guess my problem w the s10 configuration is that with the engine moved back or not, its nearly inside the cab. Comically i think of trying to mount seats and controls around the back of the head and valve cover.

There was some thread around here where Jeff Dean (Stingpuller) said he was able to get the firewall another 4 inches back on an old S10 drag truck he had just by moving the bed back a little, then the cab right against the bed. Having it be a short wheelbase will help with with a lot of weight on the nose, my buddy's Ramcharger had to be tied down onto the lift when the rearend was out of it, so it wouldn't fall off forward he had so much weight on the front. He's got big tires though, hits it hard off the line, and has lots of uptravel in the front end. Those are the things I would look to do if I were you.

ramcharger1.jpg

Had arranged to buy a 9" rear complete for 100 bones but the guy sold it from under me. Had 3.55 gears. That seems about right but figure Id ask. No idea what wheel or tire size yet. Thinking 30"+

Last edited:
Back