Dimming? LED gauge lights

BigPapa

Truckless
I’ve read several threads on using LED’s in the cluster but I have some questions from those that have done it.

• Can you dim the LED’s?
  • What angle works best?
  • What lumen works best?

Thanks.

I’ve read several threads on using LED’s in the cluster but I have some questions from those that have done it.

• Can you dim the LED’s?
  • What angle works best?
  • What lumen works best?

Thanks.
What vehicle? Insert bulbs or SMT (solder in) diodes?

Something to consider is color. The different wave lengths appear brighter or darker. The blue I switched to are much brighter than the green diodes from the OEM, which means I run with them dimmed quite a bit. This means the digital display is darker than I would like a lot of the time.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk
66695f4f9a441cdf89e9daa507f2c14b.jpg

Last edited:
It’s my ‘98 Dodge. I have a few lights out and figured I’d go back with LED’s. Just the ones for illumination, not the warning lights, turn signal indicators, etc.

Are they soldered to the circuit board? I thought they were 194’s in a socket you turn and remove. If they’re soldered in, I’ll just have to live with data gauges....

Last edited:
What vehicle? Insert bulbs or SMT (solder in) diodes?

Something to consider is color. The different wave lengths appear brighter or darker. The blue I switched to are much brighter than the green diodes from the OEM, which means I run with them dimmed quite a bit. This means the digital display is darker than I would like a lot of the time.

66695f4f9a441cdf89e9daa507f2c14b.jpg
Assuming you were going for the newer Ford dash gauge look? I like the blue a lot better than the green also

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

It’s my ‘98 Dodge. I have a few lights out and figured I’d go back with LED’s. Just the ones for illumination, not the warning lights, turn signal indicators, etc.

Are they soldered to the circuit board? I thought they were 194’s in a socket you turn and remove. If they’re soldered in, I’ll just have to live with data gauges....
No sir, I think they are 194's.

Assuming you were going for the newer Ford dash gauge look? I like the blue a lot better than the green also

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
I was off on my own path before I found out the newer clusters are blue. I need a set of blue needles from a newer model.

as far as i know, the best way to dim LED is though PWM effective voltage versus trying send a lower voltage. Do not know who makes a PWM dimmer especially for your truck.

Back