F250 Dt360 Swap

Hey, I am new to the forum and still figuring it out. I am working on gathering the parts I need to swap a Dt360 into my 99 F250 (v10, extended cab, welding rig in progress). 1992 engine out of a school bus, I already have a rebuild kit for it, going to send the head off to a local diesel performance shop to have the head o-ringed. I have the p-pump off a 210hp dt466, will be using a 6.7 Powerstroke intercooler, 4r100 that I am still looking for a good upgrade rebuild kit for. I have most of all the big parts I need but still, need all the little things and I plan on posting project updates.
Would love any advice or ideas I might have not thought about.

Minor update

Practically disassembled the fuel systems. Compared difference between the injection pumps and discovered new obstacles. I knew the intake manifold would be an issue but not to this scale. Already have considered possible solutions for that, including the AG manifold (so hard to find). Fuel connections are different but not the worst case, i can make it happen. Shouldn't need the hand primer since I have a lift pump I got off a powerstroke 6.7. So it is just a simple fuel feed and fuel return. Not going to run a fuel heater or cooler, shouldn't need one. Will be ordering the injection pump CSD adapter and turbo rebuild kit this weekend.
Also pulled the valve cover just to check tolerances, play and cleanliness. Everything had good gapping and no excessive play. Really impressed by how damn clean it is but also a little unsettling. The front cover area around the injection pump gear looked extremely clean as well.
Won't touch anything too much more until I send the head off the machine shop, probably wont do that until mid February or so.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1450808398.jpg
    Snapchat-1450808398.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220108_161251_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220108_161251_HDR.jpg
    505.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220108_161628_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220108_161628_HDR.jpg
    470.5 KB · Views: 0
Welcome! What are your plans for hp?

The DT360 is one beefy 5.9L engine.
I

I dont really have a power goal per say. I"d be happy with 1200 ft/lbs; a compound dt360 with the right fueling,1200 ft/lbs isn't the most uncommon or out there thing for something like this. I know a stock dt360 is capable of ubsurd amounts of power.

I have really decided on a color yet, i have considered trying to have a valve cover chrome. I don't know, i'll think of something.

Carson Stauffer has a been really helpful with advise and sharing there experience. They're great. As for the serpentine belt kit, i do want to do that. I am just going to get the crank balancer pulley and water pump pulley. I am going to use the alternator from my V10 and make a mount for it where the air compressor was.

I dont really have a power goal per say. I"d be happy with 1200 ft/lbs; a compound dt360 with the right fueling,1200 ft/lbs isn't the most uncommon or out there thing for something like this. I know a stock dt360 is capable of ubsurd amounts of power.

1200ftlb will be simple for the DT360.

What about dark blue. Like Ford blue for the engine paint? I think that color goes good with chrome or polished aluminum.

Good idea

1200ftlb will be simple for the DT360.

What about dark blue. Like Ford blue for the engine paint? I think that color goes good with chrome or polished aluminum.

The dark ford blue would look nice with the chrome cover, i didnt think about polished aluminum thou. If I can clean up and polish the intake, that wouldn't look half bad. Not a bad idea Cowboy:thankyou2:

Got "new parts"

I got back from a local u-pull it yard. Grabbed a intake horn, chared air tubes, alternator, de-gas bottle and various hose clamps & v-bands; all of a 6.0 ambulance. Also just ordered the injection pump adapter for CSD so I will soon share the plan for the intake manifold.

Sounds like your parts needed are getting rounded up. Think about polished compressor housings as well. And silver ceramic coat for exhaust housings and manifolds.

You said you are going 4r100 right? Did you chose that because it's a original Ford part? Are you setting this up for towing as well as a welding rig?

Last edited:
Sounds like your parts needed are getting rounded up. Think about polished compressor housings as well. And silver ceramic coat for exhaust housings and manifolds.

You said you are going 4r100 right? Did you chose that because it's a original Ford part? Are you setting this up for towing as well as a welding rig?

I chose a 4R100 for simplicity. I have a very good understanding of them and experience with working on them.
My ultimate plan for the truck is to be my welding rig.
4r100 can be a good transmission just with a simple trans cooler upgrade and a good shift kit. If you want a 4r100 to handle high power; McLeod Racing rebuild kit, good shift kit, 6.0 trans cooler, and a appropriate torque converter; you have a good build of a transmission. The base level rebuild kit from McLeod can handle up to 1400ft/lbs safely.
What are you thinking Cowboy?

I chose a 4R100 for simplicity. I have a very good understanding of them and experience with working on them.
My ultimate plan for the truck is to be my welding rig.
4r100 can be a good transmission just with a simple trans cooler upgrade and a good shift kit. If you want a 4r100 to handle high power; McLeod Racing rebuild kit, good shift kit, 6.0 trans cooler, and a appropriate torque converter; you have a good build of a transmission. The base level rebuild kit from McLeod can handle up to 1400ft/lbs safely.
What are you thinking Cowboy?

I agree, the 4R100 is a very good transmission. You can also get parts all over for it. Since you already have one from your current pickup you are set other than conversion/adaptor parts and controller. It can be built as you said to handle all the power you plan to make easy.

I was just thinking since you have a salvage yard you might be able to find all the adaptors you would need to bolt a 6 speed allison 1000 up to the DT360. It would make a great towing combo. Since your not planning to use it as a tow rig as well. The 6 gears would be a little overkill. But it would help your setup be more efficient on the highway.

Just a thought.

David

Last edited:
I agree, the 4R100 is a very good transmission. You can also get parts all over for it. Since you already have one from your current pickup you are set other than conversion/adaptor parts and controller. It can be built as you said to handle all the power you plan to make easy.

I was just thinking since you have a salvage yard you might be able to find all the adaptors you would need to bolt a 6 speed allison 1000 up to the DT360. It would make a great towing combo. Since your not planning to use it as a tow rig as well. The 6 gears would be a little overkill. But it would help your setup be more efficient on the highway.

Just a thought.

David

I dont know a whole lot about Allison 1000's. I did consider it at one point but could never find a controller for one. The extra 2 gears would be nice. What kind of work would a A1000 need to handle what I am doing?? I might need to do more research myself and see cost comparisons. Also what sae pattern is a A1000?

I dont know a whole lot about Allison 1000's. I did consider it at one point but could never find a controller for one. The extra 2 gears would be nice. What kind of work would a A1000 need to handle what I am doing?? I might need to do more research myself and see cost comparisons. Also what sae pattern is a A1000?

You would definitely want to build the transmission. I would not trust it t the power level you are looking at.

As for the bell housing, I am not positive what GMs bell housing is. But you can change it out to a a SAE #2 or SAE #3 to match what you would have for a Allison bell housing adapter for the DT360.

You can by controllers for the allison. But you cal also make it yourself and use EFI live to program it.
I am looking into this end right now for a swap.

You would definitely want to build the transmission. I would not trust it t the power level you are looking at.

As for the bell housing, I am not positive what GMs bell housing is. But you can change it out to a a SAE #2 or SAE #3 to match what you would have for a Allison bell housing adapter for the DT360.

You can by controllers for the allison. But you cal also make it yourself and use EFI live to program it.
I am looking into this end right now for a swap.

Keep us posted would ya? I'm looking to do this on my 08 fummins. I'm past rowing gears.

Hey adaniel, how you doing? I've got a dt360 swap Planned into an old dodge crew. I've got my motor and have been working on a serpentine belt conversion of my own. Already got the crank and waterpump pulleys, and figuring the rest out. I plan on running a mechanical fan. I've got a factory p-pumped dt466 in another truck, as well as another dt360 truck (both ih's). My understanding is that the p-pumps out of the factory originals rotated in the opposite direction, as these motors were revised and were called ngd. So double check what you've got going on with your p-pump. Did you pull it yourself? If so you may have noticed the motor had a serp belt, no intake manifold (intake is in the valve cover). Those are a couple easy identifiers of the ngd motors.

Damn it

Hey adaniel, how you doing? I've got a dt360 swap Planned into an old dodge crew. I've got my motor and have been working on a serpentine belt conversion of my own. Already got the crank and waterpump pulleys, and figuring the rest out. I plan on running a mechanical fan. I've got a factory p-pumped dt466 in another truck, as well as another dt360 truck (both ih's). My understanding is that the p-pumps out of the factory originals rotated in the opposite direction, as these motors were revised and were called ngd. So double check what you've got going on with your p-pump. Did you pull it yourself? If so you may have noticed the motor had a serp belt, no intake manifold (intake is in the valve cover). Those are a couple easy identifiers of the ngd motors.

Man, I sure am glad (and pissed) you said something. I never in a million years would have thought to check that. It turns out the p-pump i got is a left hand pump. So now, i have a pump i cant use. Glad you said something though, i really didn't think to check that. So, anyone want a left hand p-pump, $600, lol.
Old pump has an R in the model number and the p-pump has a L. Time to find a new pump and sell this one.

Back