Smoked light - lens spray paint!!!

wpeschel

Psyko
I know that this has nothing to do with comp and performance so if it needs to be moved mods feel free... I couldnt think of a better place to put it... Has anyone used this spray to smoke lenses on there truck??? I have smoked recon cab, fender lights.. I have many other led lights in the bumpers that I want to be smoked... Has anyone used this product??? I had a friend take his to a proffessional paint and body man and they did his factory tail lights and they look very good but I think they used some clear coat mixed with black paint.. Wesley

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car...hash=item250266486266&_trksid=p3756.m14.l1318

i've never used that stuff, but i did my 3rd brake light and taillights w/ VHT nightshades paint. 2 coats and it's good.

VHT nightshades. couple coats and you're good, may need to touch up about once a year but thats about all.

Tinting tailights

I have the lens sprayed with black lacquer and then cleared. you treat them just like the body paint and whoever sprays them can vary the darkness with how many coats they apply. The ones in the picture are 2 coats.

Attachments

• 03ram3.jpg
    03ram3.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 85
I am in the process of ditching all chrome and color, everything is body color (dark blue) or black.

i am gonna do some tail lights pretty dark with this stuff since it still shines through bright red, and hopefully the few times i take the truck on the street i dont get hassled. but has anyone done this to stock headlights.

how much will it affect my headlight color? i dont want my headlights to look all dim when i turn them on at night, but still look smoked out during the day

14975.jpg

One more thing you can do is have the local body shop order in some body paint, add tons of clear, and "dust" your tail light with body color. Don't need too much...

I did the walmart tint (krylon I think?) and it doesn't last. I have tried it strait, with clear, adhesion promoter, etc.
Just an fyi for those looking to do this. It does look good and is easy to do though.

The clearance lights in my pic. has them done. Didn't last.

my bro did the tail lights on his xb with something similar turned out great. he plans on doing his side markers in it too.... stuff works great.

Here is a up close of mine. I used a PPG mid coat and clear with bull dog adhesion promoter.

IMG_3444.jpg

Here is a up close of mine. I used a PPG mid coat and clear with bull dog adhesion promoter.

IMG_3444.jpg

That looks very nice.. Could you point me in the right direction to getting the supplies to do mine?? Its not for my tail lights its for all my LED's I have..

That looks very nice.. Could you point me in the right direction to getting the supplies to do mine?? Its not for my tail lights its for all my LED's I have..

Sure can. I used a PPG line of products so I will use them as a reference even though most paint brands will be the same. First off you need to de-gloss any part that you will be refinishing, scotch bright works very well. Once there is 100% of the gloss gone, clean with a good plastic cleaner. BE SURE it is not a plastic cleaner that will make it brittle on contact. Ask the local paint store for the correct kind that they sell. Next spray with a good adhesion promoter. I have tried many and the easiest and best working by far is bull dog. It comes in a rattle can. Should be available at any automotive paint store along with all the products you will need. Next after the adhesion promoter has dried it is time for the base coat (mid coat) to be applied. You can get the paint store to custom mix the mid coat your need. In PPG it is a 649 clear mixed 1-1 with 1689 clear I think. It has been a wile since I have done it, but I know it is a 1-1 just the numbers I am not sure. Then use a strong black and add as needed. The weak black takes way to much and almost makes it brown. I didn't measure or anything. I did it by eye and what it looked like running off the paint stick. You want a very dark tint but still transparent because as you spray it, the color will lighten up as it is laid on thin. spray as many coats as needed to get the darkness desired. Then come back over it with a clear coat that is for the paint system you used. In my case it was a PPG 2002 clear or a 2021 clear. If you don't cover the base coat within 24 hours it will need to be sanded and re shot due to all the solvents have evaporated. Plus if you have to sand a transparent base coat it will look blotchy and bad. Once done you can color sand and buff if needed after the clear has dried and your done. This should last just as long as the paint on the vehicle, if done right even longer. Also you can wax them at the same time as the truck. I hope this was helpful. If you have any questions or need any help let me know.

Back