Some trailer restoration action

TooMuchBoost

Comp Diesel Sponsor
You know your bored when you want to sandblast anything of size simply because your bored. I stayed up here in the mtns this weekend where our plant is located and it was either sit on the porch and drink beer and watch football yesterday or be productive and for some reason I chose to be productive. LOL

Be that as it may this trailer put us in business in 1997 as I used it to haul raw materials to my home garage and finished product to our wholesaler until we graduated to a big tandem trailer and I bought my first PSD which was a 99.5. Its been all over but the crying since.

This trailer obviously has some age on it and since it was most likely painted originally with an industrial DTM (direct to metal) enamel so it never had a long term chance of fighting corrosion or having prolonged holdout.

I blasted it inside and out using a 5 gallon sized UniRam sandblaster pushed by 22 cfm IR compressor (if you have never sandblasted before they require a lot of CFM to do things quickly). I then applied 2 wet coats of our SPI grey epoxy primer and let it sit 1 hour then I applied 2 wet coats of polyurethane single stage dad and I whipped up Friday.

The cool thing about this single stage is it is geeked up on anti-graffiti/anti-scratch additive.LOL We've been testing this additive in our clears since about June but at a much smaller percentage by weight.

This additive allows you to hold a big screwdriver by the shaft and strike the panel at angle with the intention of striking the panel with the handle so it skips off the panel leaving a mark in the process. The cool part is when you rub the pad of your finger across the mark the mark goes away!

Anyway this what I did via phone camera:

rusted.jpg

blasted.jpg

epoxy2.jpg

epoxy3.jpg

side2.jpg

front-1.jpg

I've not seen a new one look that good yet. I have one that needs the same thing but I'm afraid it would collapse if the rust was blasted away

Back