Super Stock Diesel 2012

wrongway

I feel that the Inaugural Super Stock Diesel event we just had in Bradenton, FL. was a HUGE success! I want to go ahead and open a discussion about the 2012 Super Stock race. The original idea of this race was to move it to various location's throughout the country. From talking to racer's and fan's I have learned that they want to continue to hold the BIG in Bradenton, FL. in February. I currently don't have any plan's to change ANY rules, but would like some input for consideration. When you give your opinion's it would help me if you would tell me if you are a current competitor, vendor, sponsor, or even fans. Or if you will be a future vendor, competitor, sponsor and so on. Please keep them short and sweet and don't forget to let me know what part of diesel motorsports that you represent. Thank you all

I'm only a spectator, but from what I seen I would like to see the rules change over to a standard 66MM turbo instead of teh high dollar clipped wheel ones being allowed. If your gonna have a super stock class, then try and make it so that the guy who can't afford the super high dollar billet turbo with the clipped wheel can still be competitive. This should also help to open teh category up to more racers as was said earlier there are alot of sled pullers in teh Bradenton area with regular 66MM chargers tah twanted to run but knew they wouldn't be able to be competitive against those with deep pockets who could afford the high dollar fancy turbos. Try and even it up some so you can increase the number of people who want to run in it. I REALLY enjoyed watching this race in my backyard, just thought that maybe it could be opened up to more entries is all.

Just my $.02 on it.

Last edited:
i live a little south of bradenton and came as a spectator. brought a buddy who is just an average car fan and my gf and they both said it was good time. the only thing i noticed is the buzz around town was redneck yacht club was having a big event that weekend and not many people knew about the event locally the only way i even heard about it was on the boards. i know of about 10 friends right off the bat that would have came if they knew earlier or were not going to redneck yacht club. i thought it was a great event just want publicized locally

It will be easier to consider for next year. Living in an area where the strip is closed by October it would have been pretty difficult for us to put something together that we could feel confident in for this race that early in the year. There is zero opportunity for test and tune other than dyno and some street time in our climate.
I am glad it went well and I am sure it will continue to grow.

I'd like to see the weight moved up to 6600lbsLOL.........then I could keep my hood on.

You guys put a race on Gary, and I'll be there!

I loved this class and with more tuning time these trucks are going to get even quicker. I vote to keep it in FL at the same times as this past weekends event. LEAVE THE RULES ALONE SO THE CLASS CAN GROW

I'm only a spectator, but from what I seen I would like to see the rules change over to a standard 66MM turbo instead of teh high dollar clipped wheel ones being allowed. If your gonna have a super stock class, then try and make it so that the guy who can't afford the super high dollar billet turbo with the clipped wheel can still be competitive. This should also help to open teh category up to more racers as was said earlier there are alot of sled pullers in teh Bradenton area with regular 66MM chargers tah twanted to run but knew they wouldn't be able to be competitive against those with deep pockets who could afford the high dollar fancy turbos. Try and even it up some so you can increase the number of people who want to run in it. I REALLY enjoyed watching this race in my backyard, just thought that maybe it could be opened up to more entries is all.

Just my $.02 on it.

This would be nice but whatever the case, I plan to now turn my truck into a drag truck...I got a drag strip here in Lakeland, then Bradenton and Orlando to run at and it isn't as hard on parts as sled pulling...

i live a little south of bradenton and came as a spectator. brought a buddy who is just an average car fan and my gf and they both said it was good time. the only thing i noticed is the buzz around town was redneck yacht club was having a big event that weekend and not many people knew about the event locally the only way i even heard about it was on the boards. i know of about 10 friends right off the bat that would have came if they knew earlier or were not going to redneck yacht club. i thought it was a great event just want publicized locally

I agree with this...

It will be easier to consider for next year. Living in an area where the strip is closed by October it would have been pretty difficult for us to put something together that we could feel confident in for this race that early in the year. There is zero opportunity for test and tune other than dyno and some street time in our climate.
I am glad it went well and I am sure it will continue to grow.

I think that is what hurt it for alot of the guys up north. That is why the EEP guys were thrashing on their 2wd, being from Ohio, the weather has been **** and even the roads are wet and nasty so you can't stage it on a open road somewhere...

As for the turbos, I'm kinda leaning toward the reg. S300 style 66 spec turbo Idea.

Another thing I'm pretty passionate about towards keeping / making this more affordable and keeping it geared more towards the "avarage guy" , is NO Standalone controllers!

I think the sponsors / aftermarket guys that cater to the Stock ECM's should be the benefactors here.. I.E. Smarty, EFI Live, Bully Dog, PPE, Diablo Sport, etc.

The standalones are cool and are wonderful for the NOT so avarage guy thats really serious and into BIG money builds...

Aron just proved that with basic mods, you can go really quick and not spend huge amounts of money.

As for the turbos, I'm kinda leaning toward the reg. S300 style 66 spec turbo Idea.

Another thing I'm pretty passionate about towards keeping / making this more affordable and keeping it geared more towards the "avarage guy" , is NO Standalone controllers!

X2, I'm also against allowing danco and lenco transmissions in. I don't see much of a point to allow them in the class for the "average guy". At a point it will turn into another pro street class.

I think the sponsors / aftermarket guys that cater to the Stock ECM's should be the benefactors here.. I.E. Smarty, EFI Live, Bully Dog, PPE, Diablo Sport, etc.

The standalones are cool and are wonderful for the NOT so avarage guy thats really serious and into BIG money builds...

Aron just proved that with basic mods, you can go really quick and not spend huge amounts of money.

What about standalone transmission controllers?:poke:

I'd say leave programming category wide open. Stand-alones are becoming more affordable, and are going to become more popular. If you're gonna keep the 'big money' programming out for the average joe, then why not limit chargers to box stock chargers, no custom stuff there either.

Let sport progress, pick your turbo size, pick your min weight, and let the rest be decided by the guys building the trucks.

I agree with standard 66 turbo to make it a true race for the customer and average Joe like it started out to be originally... At that point it doesn't matter what trans you are running everyone is at a level field

Limiting to a true 66mm will not make the class more affordable. Due to the competitive nature of motorsports, people will begin using billet 66mm charges and then it will come down to who has the best wheel design. This r&d is not cheap, nor will those chargers be. The more limits you put on the class the more money it costs to be at the top.

My 2 cents....

We need to know it now if the rules are going to change for the class at TS and SDX or anyother place that plans to have the SS class. I say no Danco or Lenco it will put the average guy out of the race. Guys have already spent a lot of money on turbos to change.

We made it to the race and were only a tenth off of making the quick 16 and I only had a 64.

Keep it 2.6" it'll make the drag racers feel like sledpullers since they are normally left out of most 2.6" threads.

I agree with the advertising/promotion aspect. The advertising will need to be pushed harder next time. I had some friends and family attend that live close by, only because I made them aware of it. Word of mouth (or internet) will only travel to those in our small circle. My brother got the impression it was a "by invite" only type of event due to the atmosphere. Apparently some of his friends were racing at that same track a week or two prior and knew nothing about the big race.

Other than that---the beer was cold and the food was hot!

Weight break the chargers then...66's get less weight or 2.6 gets more weight...either way...

I got a question about the 6K pounds...Most of these trucks had alot of weight bolted onto them in the form of tractor weights...

How is this going to be resolved in the future?

Maybe lower the entry fee to try and get more trucks?
Maybe add a pro street class or something?

Make it another outlaw race.

I had a blast at this race Gary! I'd love to see it keep going. Glad I can say I was there for the first one.

Back