Ford 9"

Which ARB's are you referring to? I have one that is about 4 or 5 years old, and the gear sets are the same. When did they change?

You have an ARB for what axle?

Here's a good thread that shows the difference between the newer style design and the older style design:

ARB RD36 has been discontinued? - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

The specific parts shown in that thread are for the d60. The old style 9" vs the new style 9" ARB design is very similar though. There is much speculation on the durability of the new style D60 and 14 bolt ARBs based on how poorly the new style 9" design has performed. Time will tell how well they fare I guess, but in my opinion it was a poor design that they went with to cut costs and increase part commonality between units.

***This is simply my opinion based on what I've seen.***

Don't know, I thought the high pinions were weaker than the standard 9".

We currently have well over 1500 hp and have never hurt our dana 70.
Nice, what are you guys running for a diff.?

Guessing i haven't what ! ? ....seen that a 9" NEEDS the other bearing from the poor design of the extremely close 2 pinion bearing being on top of each other....
What else do you think i haven't seen..... I bet you think that's a great design...

I build rears, im telling you, the 9" is not stronger then the D-60, let alone the D-70... The 9" isn't much lighter then the D-60
The D-70's only issues is the cross bar in the spider assembly...so you can do 2 things, a spool for the 70 or a detroit

Saying the hp loss is a mute point....is incredibly INSANE, any hp loss in a performance vehicle is not a moot point....years ago we dyoned 4 rears, and the 9" was more than 10hp loss, (im going to try and find that) and you don't want to lose any HP in the driveline in any vehicle, let alone a heavy one.

AS for the high pin 9", you are now racing on the coast side of a ring gear, not a good idea at all...

Everyone runs a 9" for the story of there is more available... and everyone that says that, doesn't change there gear ratios like they should if that is what there worried about...

Many rears are stronger and don't soak up as much hp......
Well, I dont think its as good as the 14bff its not bad, better IMO then the small pinion in the d70u.

I can tell you weight wise theres a huge difference up 250lbs, the 9" Ive installed I could handle by myself fairly ease, a full floater d60 I struggled with, and as for the high pinion that was my rock crawler coming out, I honestly have no idea what they can hold HP wise.

The reason I say it's a mute point, b/c if I lose a tenth b/c of it, I really dont care this isnt a purpose built drag truck. There's always :nos: if I need to go faster.

But I guess now its more of a mute point b/c it looks like my assumptions about the d70 were wrong about drag racing, I let some sled pullers get in my head. :charger::badidea:

Nice, what are you guys running for a diff.?

Well, I dont think its as good as the 14bff its not bad, better IMO then the small pinion in the d70u.

I can tell you weight wise theres a huge difference up 250lbs, the 9" Ive installed I could handle by myself fairly ease, a full floater d60 I struggled with, and as for the high pinion that was my rock crawler coming out, I honestly have no idea what they can hold HP wise.

The reason I say it's a mute point, b/c if I lose a tenth b/c of it, I really dont care this isnt a purpose built drag truck. There's always :nos: if I need to go faster.

But I guess now its more of a mute point b/c it looks like my assumptions about the d70 were wrong about drag racing, I let some sled pullers get in my head. :charger::badidea:

Is this a sled truck or drag or street and strip or ?

It is a stock dana 70 with drum brakes and it is a dedicated drag truck.

Not that i have beaten on my 9in too much yet, I am very happy with my slicked drag strip toy. Locker and 31 spline Moser.

It is a stock dana 70 with drum brakes and it is a dedicated drag truck.

Then your after all the hp and gains you can get....

Stay with the 70, get the spool, you could even lighten that a little more, shave the ring a little and use a lighter oil go from a 90 to 50....

You would be surprised at what you can gain with lighter oil and or getting the oil to temp 1st before making your pass....

If this is a drag only truck.....

i have to agree on the 9" being junk unless you run a circle track car and go to a new track every weekend.

stay with a 60 or 70

The 9" is far from junk. They cost more to build to suit big torque in a heavy vehicle. But they are no where near junk.

They have their advantages, but IMHO the main reason that they aren't junk is because of how much aftermarket support there is for them. If there weren't aftermarket thirds, larger diameter shafts, improved gear sets, etc. I don't think we would even have a thread like this.

I would think that if the "built" variations of the 9" Ford will withstand 8000 hp in a Nitro fuel dragster, that the weenie little 1200 or so ft lbs from a diesel would be a non issue

;o)

We are going to try a 9" in a sheet metal housing, 40 spline shafts, spool, ect... I will report back at the end of the season and let you know how it went. First pass isn't planned till end of May ish. It will be running in NHRDA Pro Street @ ~ 4500lbs.

9 inch rears are far from junk, there were plenty of 3500hp doorslammers running high 6's in the 1/4 running Mark Williams fabed 9 inch rears, and they have been proven over the years way before the 2 words diesel & performance were even concieved.

There is a Super Mod 4x4 gasser up here Cut tired truck, running a custom Ford 9inch front axle...seems to be holding up the couple of times I saw it run last year. I belive he is running D60 outer spindles.

Ryan

I have seen guys around here running the custom 9" fronts in boggers and rock climbers and the owners love them. One guy even had 44's on his rig. I was really surprised it lives with those huge tires. He has a 450hp LS1 and he isn't light on the throttle. Apparently they are pretty strong.

i just think if you are going to the expense of buying everything in the axle aftermarket,why not use something more efficent with less hp loss.

its like saying you will only run a 350 chevy because they are cheap and popular when there are better things out there.

Back