Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 06:58 AM   #1
floridabob

Name: floridabob
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Suspension rebuild in order, Vendor suggestions?

It is passed time to rebuild the front end on my 2wd.

Not sure there is any part I will skip from the steering wheel to the wheels. Steering shaft, gear box, pump, lines, tie rod ends, control arms, blah, blah.

I'm not rich but I will be doing the work at my shop so the labor part is negligible. So I want to invest in good parts for what may be the last time I redo the front end on my truck.

I want to have a vendor that sells whatever it is I need and get it from one source for a financial advantage and I would prefer it not be Amazon.

Keep the money local, so to speak.

Suggestions of who to use? My local parts houses here in Tampa cant get the Borgeson stuff.

Thanks in advance,
Bob
robert.beckner@gmail.com

Old 09-11-2018, 04:27 PM   #2
Tate

Name: Tate
Title: What?
Member`s Gallery
I did a Carli suspension about 5 years ago, as well as a Borgeson box and steering shaft. I ditched the carli springs in favour of air bags, but I will say the control arms have stayed tight, and the steering was probably the biggest difference I noticed when I did it.

Borgeson Box
Borgeson Steering shaft
Carli Control Arms
Carli 3rd gen track bar
Dodge 08+ tie rods and drag link (they had a real cheap price on this vs. 98 style parts)
01 Pitman arm for the 08 upgrade
DSS
Bilstein Shocks

Not to say this is the only or even the best way, but its whats in mine and I've been pretty happy with it.

If you do go for the borgeson box and a 3rd gen trackbar conversion, one of the bolts that goes through the new bracket will be too short to properly torque the steering box and I ended up pulling the threads out of the box. Ended up putting in a NF9/16" helicoil as the price of a 14mm helicoil kit was beyond ridiculous. Just an FYI.

My p-pump conversion pics

Old 09-11-2018, 06:17 PM   #3
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Being it's a 2wd, just good quality stock moog parts are all that's needed. Will last over 100k miles, and a stock 2wd second gen actually drives good.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:06 PM   #4
95cummins5.9

Name: 95cummins5.9
Title: Old man ***** gossiper
Member`s Gallery
I will second Jason.

I don't own anything stock, from engines to boobies I've modded them all. Life is too short to live with mediocre chit.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:01 AM   #5
floridabob

Name: floridabob
Member`s Gallery
Ok. Other than the other than the few Borgeson bits, I was planning on Moog.

Looking for a vendor that has all of this and I can get it in one place.

I put it all in my cart on Amazon including a fluid dampener and then I figured I should check here, throw some money at a vendor.
Vendor suggestions? There's a thousand of them listed and I don't feel like sorting through everyone. I'm sure you guys have some favorites?

Old 09-12-2018, 07:06 AM   #6
Red Sleeper

Name: Red Sleeper
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Agree with Jason.

I did a buddies 02 2wd front end for him as a favor. He bought all moog parts from my local AC Delco parts house (per my recommendation). I had to remove the factory riveted ball joints which was a pain, even with a torch and air tools. Better off buying an entire A-arm if possible.

I’d just find a local parts store to buy from. Won’t have to pay shipping and you can probably negotiate the price down. Moog has lifetime replacement warranty also. So buying local will make replacement procedures easier.
'91 Cummins w350 5spd

Old 10-05-2018, 12:56 PM   #7
gman99

Name: gman99
Member`s Gallery
I never had to do anything to my old 2wd front end other than standard moog parts to keep it driving well. Much less of a hassle to maintain those front ends vs the 4wd I have now.
98 QCLB 4x4 12V, ARP625+ Studs, 14mm mains NonIC pistons, Ported head, Marine Cam, Hamilton Pushrods and Tappets, BeeHive springs HE351cw over Billet S475, 4KGSK, 5X.018's, 7mm DV's, 24 Degrees Timing, 5" Exhaust, TCS Input, DPC Converter, Firepunk Competition Rebuild Kit

Old 11-21-2018, 03:01 PM   #8
legendman

Name: legendman
Title: Noob to CompD
Member`s Gallery
Good info in this thread, I have a 97 2wd 3500 with 205k on it that has some clunks when going over bumps. Looking to possibly source eveyrthing from one place.
Also tossing around the idea of looking up all the part #'s on Rockauto and going to fleabay to order. Not impressed with RockAuto's shipping prices.

Closed Thread