Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Vendor Row > Sponsor Forums > Mumau Diesel
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2019, 09:34 AM   #21
Snedge
 
Snedge's Avatar

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Western Pa.
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 16,034
I don't usually get sentimental, or even think about buying these older trucks.
This one is not special because it's the first Dodge I ever worked on, nor does it belong to a family member. I was here long before Dodges had a Cummins in them.
This truck belonged to a customer/neighbor/friend whom I've known since he walked in our door 24 years ago looking for information about his new truck.
He had recently retired from the mines and purchased this Dodge to tour America. Like Johnny Cash, this trucks been everywhere. He and his wife's first goal was Alaska.
I set him up with a box of consumables like filters, oil and fuel additives, an extra belt and tensioner, and misc other stuff. I also gave him a directory of Cummins dealers so he could find service anywhere he'd go. This was the early days of the internet, so it's not like he could take a google machine and tomtom along. We installed a set of ride rite air bags on the rear, and spend a couple minutes with the injection pump.
Long story short, we cared for his truck while he enjoyed his retired life.
He is 90 now and in poor heath. Old buddy rarely leaves his house anymore. He called me the other day and asked if I could come to the farm to pick up the Dodge. He no longer had a use for it and wanted to make sure it was still decent as it had sat in the barn for a couple years .
We sat at his kitchen table and had a long conversation. Nothing specific, just taking about his travels, his life my life, and all the other stuff men talk about. He's a Godly man. Not the type that beats you over the head with it, the type that walks it. I'm not going to get deep here. I'll just say he's nearing the end of a life well lived.
He handed the title over to me, and said that he'd like to get enough out of the truck to facilitate his final arrangements on the hill behind the church. His thinking was the truck served it's purpose and it may as well finish the job. The plan was for me to clean it up a little, and sell it for him.
I sold it for him on the spot.

Last edited by Snedge; 09-16-2019 at 09:38 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:52 AM   #22
SmokeShow
 
SmokeShow's Avatar

Name: SmokeShow
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Apr 2006
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 4,612
__________________
Mitch

IG: @_mitch_ratliff_

'14 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew, w/ 3.5L EcoBoost, bone stock

83 GMC K30 CC SB 4WD awaiting D/A chassis swap
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:59 AM   #23
bracker8040

Name: bracker8040
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jan 2007
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedge View Post
I don't usually get sentimental, or even think about buying these older trucks.
This one is not special because it's the first Dodge I ever worked on, nor does it belong to a family member. I was here long before Dodges had a Cummins in them.
This truck belonged to a customer/neighbor/friend whom I've known since he walked in our door 24 years ago looking for information about his new truck.
He had recently retired from the mines and purchased this Dodge to tour America. Like Johnny Cash, this trucks been everywhere. He and his wife's first goal was Alaska.
I set him up with a box of consumables like filters, oil and fuel additives, an extra belt and tensioner, and misc other stuff. I also gave him a directory of Cummins dealers so he could find service anywhere he'd go. This was the early days of the internet, so it's not like he could take a google machine and tomtom along. We installed a set of ride rite air bags on the rear, and spend a couple minutes with the injection pump.
Long story short, we cared for his truck while he enjoyed his retired life.
He is 90 now and in poor heath. Old buddy rarely leaves his house anymore. He called me the other day and asked if I could come to the farm to pick up the Dodge. He no longer had a use for it and wanted to make sure it was still decent as it had sat in the barn for a couple years .
We sat at his kitchen table and had a long conversation. Nothing specific, just taking about his travels, his life my life, and all the other stuff men talk about. He's a Godly man. Not the type that beats you over the head with it, the type that walks it. I'm not going to get deep here. I'll just say he's nearing the end of a life well lived.
He handed the title over to me, and said that he'd like to get enough out of the truck to facilitate his final arrangements on the hill behind the church. His thinking was the truck served it's purpose and it may as well finish the job. The plan was for me to clean it up a little, and sell it for him.
I sold it for him on the spot.

I got tears in my eyes reading that.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:02 AM   #24
Snedge
 
Snedge's Avatar

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Western Pa.
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 16,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracker8040 View Post
I got tears in my eyes reading that.
Sissy...
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:16 AM   #25
bracker8040

Name: bracker8040
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jan 2007
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedge View Post
Sissy...
I know.....
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 01:43 PM   #26
Snedge
 
Snedge's Avatar

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Western Pa.
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 16,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracker8040 View Post
I know.....
It's okay.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:27 PM   #27
Timbeaux3hirty8ight
 
Timbeaux3hirty8ight's Avatar

Name: Timbeaux3hirty8ight
Title: Administrator and Head Thread Derailer
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Heart of Dixie
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 16,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedge View Post
I don't usually get sentimental, or even think about buying these older trucks.
This one is not special because it's the first Dodge I ever worked on, nor does it belong to a family member. I was here long before Dodges had a Cummins in them.
This truck belonged to a customer/neighbor/friend whom I've known since he walked in our door 24 years ago looking for information about his new truck.
He had recently retired from the mines and purchased this Dodge to tour America. Like Johnny Cash, this trucks been everywhere. He and his wife's first goal was Alaska.
I set him up with a box of consumables like filters, oil and fuel additives, an extra belt and tensioner, and misc other stuff. I also gave him a directory of Cummins dealers so he could find service anywhere he'd go. This was the early days of the internet, so it's not like he could take a google machine and tomtom along. We installed a set of ride rite air bags on the rear, and spend a couple minutes with the injection pump.
Long story short, we cared for his truck while he enjoyed his retired life.
He is 90 now and in poor heath. Old buddy rarely leaves his house anymore. He called me the other day and asked if I could come to the farm to pick up the Dodge. He no longer had a use for it and wanted to make sure it was still decent as it had sat in the barn for a couple years .
We sat at his kitchen table and had a long conversation. Nothing specific, just taking about his travels, his life my life, and all the other stuff men talk about. He's a Godly man. Not the type that beats you over the head with it, the type that walks it. I'm not going to get deep here. I'll just say he's nearing the end of a life well lived.
He handed the title over to me, and said that he'd like to get enough out of the truck to facilitate his final arrangements on the hill behind the church. His thinking was the truck served it's purpose and it may as well finish the job. The plan was for me to clean it up a little, and sell it for him.
I sold it for him on the spot.

That is a great story, and you are an awesome fella for helping him out. Well done Jeff.
__________________
COMPETITIONDIESEL.COM
BRINGING THE BEST TOGETHER
F250(DD) ANOTHER TRUCK (PROGRAM)
NO LIMIT FAB, DIESEL SOUTH, DC CUSTOMS
Quote:
"I just love everything about racing. I wanna race every single day. Its nothing for me to be cutting grass and the neighbor hoss the gas on his mower, and there we are, lined up in the the middle of the street." - Stevie KillinTime Jackson
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves fight unvictorious."



  Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:51 PM   #28
TheBac
 
TheBac's Avatar

Name: TheBac
Title: UPS guy
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mid Michigan
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 2,100
Jeff, I dont really even know you but can tell you are one heck of a "good egg". Wonderful story.
__________________
Tom
"BBT" 2003 GMC CC/SB 4x4
12.14@111.15
2014 Cruze Diesel -- the daily driver
2000 C5 Corvette -- the toy
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:42 AM   #29
Highfinance97
 
Highfinance97's Avatar

Name: Highfinance97
Title: Garofalo Enterprises
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lake Ariel, PA.
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 5,128
Nice, Jeff!
Two-tone, too!
__________________
Michael Garofalo
Garofalo Enterprises
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:54 AM   #30
Snedge
 
Snedge's Avatar

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Western Pa.
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 16,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highfinance97 View Post
Nice, Jeff!
Two-tone, too!

Right on. Green and Silver to the front !!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:39 PM   #31
Red Sleeper
 
Red Sleeper's Avatar

Name: Red Sleeper
Title: So God Made a Farmer
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lone Star State
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 3,591
Thatís a great story Jeff. Will the olí truck outlast its second owner?

Time will tell.
__________________
Nick J
14' Silverado 4x4 5.3, Long Tubes, Cat-less, Tuned, Daily Driver
05' Cummins QCSB. Fully Restored.
91' Cummins w350 5spd, Rough Rider, Pump Mods, 625's, Valve Springs, Valair Single
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:10 PM   #32
Snedge
 
Snedge's Avatar

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Western Pa.
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 16,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sleeper View Post
That’s a great story Jeff. Will the ol’ truck outlast its second owner?

Time will tell.
I can't imagine myself at 90, but the older I get, the older I want to get. lol
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:14 PM   #33
Timbeaux3hirty8ight
 
Timbeaux3hirty8ight's Avatar

Name: Timbeaux3hirty8ight
Title: Administrator and Head Thread Derailer
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Heart of Dixie
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 16,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedge View Post
I can't imagine myself at 90, but the older I get, the older I want to get. lol



So you are saying no stretched tires and 1/2 lift kit for this one?
__________________
COMPETITIONDIESEL.COM
BRINGING THE BEST TOGETHER
F250(DD) ANOTHER TRUCK (PROGRAM)
NO LIMIT FAB, DIESEL SOUTH, DC CUSTOMS
Quote:
"I just love everything about racing. I wanna race every single day. Its nothing for me to be cutting grass and the neighbor hoss the gas on his mower, and there we are, lined up in the the middle of the street." - Stevie KillinTime Jackson
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves fight unvictorious."



  Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:33 PM   #34
Bob Wagner
 
Bob Wagner's Avatar

Name: Bob Wagner
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jun 2006
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 2,704
great story, thanks for sharing.
__________________
http://smartypower.com
2001 Cummins
2009 Challenger SRT8 6speed
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:38 AM   #35
4x4dually
 
4x4dually's Avatar

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Proxy Moder4tor
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Stillwater, OK
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 28,677
Damned allergies.

That's awesome, Jeff, and I'm real proud to call you a friend. As I get older I realize more and more just how much the old folks in our lives sacrificed for us little kids back in the day. It's a great thing to serve them back when the times comes. You're a good man, Charlie Brown.
__________________
Jory .... basically a plumber for 1's and 0's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedge
There are people far less intelligent than you making a living doing this stuff.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:51 AM   #36
Snedge
 
Snedge's Avatar

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Western Pa.
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 16,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
Damned allergies.

That's awesome, Jeff, and I'm real proud to call you a friend. As I get older I realize more and more just how much the old folks in our lives sacrificed for us little kids back in the day. It's a great thing to serve them back when the times comes. You're a good man, Charlie Brown.
Thanks buddy.
I didn't even want this truck, but my gut said otherwise. I have no use for it.
I often miss the good old days of the diesel pickups when only old guys owned them, and asked all the right questions. It was a challenge in those days. Hot rodding them was experimental. We had no Diesel Power Magazine, no internet.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:12 AM   #37
dieselbeef
 
dieselbeef's Avatar

Name: dieselbeef
Title: dick doggin
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: myakka city florida
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 7,330
I know from my own experience ye a helluva guy jeff..hope some day to shake yer hand...saw the post on fbook....I applaud you sir
__________________
02 quad cab . aluminum flatbed, silver, 63/68/14..best move in along time, iis hrvp, INJ by weston, drag comp, 4.10, gorend/suncaost auto, got rid of the bastard oily stack...2nd best move ever, im back to liking my truck now that its a TOW PiG!


im the other gary dammit
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:27 PM   #38
RacinDuallie
 
RacinDuallie's Avatar

Name: RacinDuallie
Title: Black Sheep Racing
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Supporting Northeast Diesel Racing
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 16,346
How much?
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:20 AM   #39
Snedge
 
Snedge's Avatar

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Western Pa.
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 16,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinDuallie View Post
How much?

How much what?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:15 AM   #40
RacinDuallie
 
RacinDuallie's Avatar

Name: RacinDuallie
Title: Black Sheep Racing
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Supporting Northeast Diesel Racing
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 16,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedge View Post
How much what?
You selling it for?
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 PM.

 


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2006 - 2019, CompetitionDiesel.com
all information found on this site is property of www.competitiondiesel.com