Billet Rods

Scott,why are you getting away from what has already lasted 4 years?The engine that was in your truck has proven to be bullet proof in the world of mod. engines.I dont think anyone has had that many hooks on an engine that makes the power yours does.It looked to me Chris had his chit together when he built that engine and for that matter wouldnt a billet rod have the same fait under the same isseues?

Dave, I guess I was looking at it from the stand point that if we are going in, or building new, why not freshen or upgrade the internals. I agree the marine rods have been great at this level, but who’s to say I don’t step it up a notch next year and slap a sigma on it, add more rpm’s, and bigger chargers in a year, I might not necessarily have to go back in the block then. I know the woodruff billet rods are performing in Cory’s motor, but would the marine rods? I don’t know? I consider the Woodruff billet rods an upgrade. I have always been an overkill kind of guy.

BBD

Dave, I guess I was looking at it from the stand point that if we are going in, or building new, why not freshen or upgrade the internals. I agree the marine rods have been great at this level, but who’s to say I don’t step it up a notch next year and slap a sigma on it, add more rpm’s, and bigger chargers in a year, I might not necessarily have to go back in the block then. I know the woodruff billet rods are performing in Cory’s motor, but would the marine rods? I don’t know? I consider the Woodruff billet rods an upgrade. I have always been an overkill kind of guy.

BBD

Makes sense to me to do it right. If you are going in, might as well use the best parts available.

What was done to the rods that were in it? Stock marine?

If I understand you correctly, you are directly refuting the information posted on Cunningham's site?

Yep, you are correct. there is no advantage to a I beam or H beam when properly constructed and if you look at Scott's quote it says "we do not feel" and that is far from a fact. H beam rods have been used for many years in many blowen motors without issue so there is more hype in that statement then most would like to believe. Everyone can make up there own mind but look at the facts and not the hype. Our rods are running at well over 1200 Hp without issue in the Cummins applications with no failures. Since the Cummins splits the cap the way they do it introduces more stress in certain areas that we felt the H would be better for in this application. Take a good hard look at how the blind bolt enters the beam of the rod and how it is stressed around and through this bolt hole and bolt as the rod head toward bottom dead center. We make rods in both I beam and H beam but use the one that best fits the application for strength and size. In this case that was an H design.

Steve, I know you guy's have rods in some of the top cummins race motors do you have rods in any of the cummins modified pulling trucks? I ask because I know the "I" type design rods are proven in several cummins modified trucks, have the H type (no matter the vendor) been proven in a cummins modified sled pulling truck yet? I ask only because I don't like to be the first testing stuff. And we are talking at around, if not slightly over 6k rpm's.

BBD

Yep, you are correct. there is no advantage to a I beam or H beam when properly constructed and if you look at Scott's quote it says "we do not feel" and that is far from a fact. H beam rods have been used for many years in many blowen motors without issue so there is more hype in that statement then most would like to believe. Everyone can make up there own mind but look at the facts and not the hype. Our rods are running at well over 1200 Hp without issue in the Cummins applications with no failures. Since the Cummins splits the cap the way they do it introduces more stress in certain areas that we felt the H would be better for in this application. Take a good hard look at how the blind bolt enters the beam of the rod and how it is stressed around and through this bolt hole and bolt as the rod head toward bottom dead center. We make rods in both I beam and H beam but use the one that best fits the application for strength and size. In this case that was an H design.
And to make sure I'm still following, here's what I gather from your post.

Cummins' offset rod cap design places extra load on the short side of the cap in the rod itself. Since the H beam splits the load to either side of the fastener hole instead of inline with the fastener hole, it is stronger. Hopefully I got that right.

BBD
Point well taken,but in my eyes you need to be consistantly beat before you worry about more power and that hasnt happend yet and You should be inside that engine every 2 years anyway (at least).Besides I still dont think you fixed the weak link---hence step up the power the block is gonna fail faster than the marine rods.Start looking at a billet block,then look at rods.I would bet you will lose a block before you lose rods,the more expensive rods in a stock block that cracks= the more $ to replace when it happens.

Billet block with sleeves, tear into it every two years, resleeve it and it should be a lifetime investment!

I won't have this truck for a lifetime, most likley not long enough to see a return on my investment when it comes to sled pulling :)

I know what you guy's are saying, I just can't afford at this point.

BBD

Well I didnt realy mean to go billet block,yet.What I was saying was as long as your running a stock style block I dont think you would gain by running billet rods because I am pretty sure the stock style block will give up before the stock style rods.So what good would the billet rods do other than cost you more money when you have major carnage?

Back