Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 06:05 PM   #21
SmokinRamMike

Name: SmokinRamMike
Title: GO NHRDA!
Member`s Gallery
What are you confused about Zstrokin?

Last edited by SmokinRamMike; 12-01-2008 at 06:12 PM.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:15 PM   #22
97' CTD

Name: 97' CTD
Title: FeFiFo-FoFeFeFi
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinRamMike View Post
I have to disagree, depending on the tolerence's, there has to be some differences in size.

What are you confused about Zstrokin?
How are u to ensure that the gasket thickness will be the same if u plan to balance the combustion chamber which the gasket is not a machined part and it will vary, he is confused cause me and him are curious how the 12V head is far superior to a 24V we just are wondering. I had a talk with a good friend and member on here earlier and we both agreed that some things can be over thought and over engineered............
Brandon

Old 12-01-2008, 06:53 PM   #23
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
The head is flat, there isn't an CC in the head, it is in the pistons.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 12-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #24
97' CTD

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
The head is flat, there isn't an CC in the head, it is in the pistons.
Bull Chit the valves are recessed that is CC Dan , Get With The Program!
Brandon

Old 12-01-2008, 07:06 PM   #25
Timebomb

Name: Timebomb
Title: Bootney Lee Fonsworth
Member`s Gallery
I will take a wild guess and say recessed valves on a 12v head are around 2 to 4 cc's.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:11 PM   #26
SmokinRamMike

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97' CTD View Post
How are u to ensure that the gasket thickness will be the same if u plan to balance the combustion chamber which the gasket is not a machined part and it will vary, he is confused cause me and him are curious how the 12V head is far superior to a 24V we just are wondering. I had a talk with a good friend and member on here earlier and we both agreed that some things can be over thought and over engineered............
Brandon
Okay, as you can see above I have retracted the statement about there being no CC's. I said something with out thinking so I apologize. The gasket thickness is somthing I did not take into consideration, seeing as I am asking an ass load of questions, you should be able to pick up that I am lost in the sauce here and I am trying to clear up what I dont know.

So how would you go about balancing the top end of these motors to the fullest extent? Given that you can not balance everything, I am sure you can get it as close as possible to make some difference. And if you think I am wasting my time then please tell me, I have nothing to base my questions off of, but some ideas I had.

BTW, I was saying the 12v head was far superior due to the fact that Mr. Fulmer had stuck his pecker out on the line to prove that it was, plus he has the information to back it. Again I dont know SH*T about this so teach me something so im not as ignorant in the future.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:31 PM   #27
97' CTD

Member`s Gallery
I had think think about it for a min then the gasket thing hit me also , I dont think I have EVER seen flow comparison charts between the 2 on here or in person....once my P&P 4 valve head hits the flow bench I will gladly show the flow numbers....

If you take the diameter of the single valve in a 12V head then take the 2 valves in a 4 valve head it would seem to me that the 2 would flow more due to if you did the math the 2 would crate a larger flow of air compared to a single valve..but then again I HAVE NO EVIDENCE to prove this.

I will be running a 4 valve head from last years 2 valve head which also means nothing.......
Brandon

Old 12-01-2008, 07:33 PM   #28
zstroken

Member`s Gallery
pi r^2 for diameter.
I have the spread sheet at work with the diameters, and calculations.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:38 PM   #29
97' CTD

Member`s Gallery
how would u combine the 2.......
Brandon

Old 12-01-2008, 07:54 PM   #30
zstroken

Member`s Gallery
12V pi*r^2-pi*r(valvestem)^2 8 mm stem
24V 2*pi*r^2-pi*r(valvestem)^2 7 mm stem

Old 12-01-2008, 08:45 PM   #31
SmokinRamMike

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97' CTD View Post
I had think think about it for a min then the gasket thing hit me also , I dont think I have EVER seen flow comparison charts between the 2 on here or in person....once my P&P 4 valve head hits the flow bench I will gladly show the flow numbers....

If you take the diameter of the single valve in a 12V head then take the 2 valves in a 4 valve head it would seem to me that the 2 would flow more due to if you did the math the 2 would crate a larger flow of air compared to a single valve..but then again I HAVE NO EVIDENCE to prove this.

I will be running a 4 valve head from last years 2 valve head which also means nothing.......
Brandon
I think what you are trying to explain is that pushing the air into two valves will almost "funnel" the air better then if you were to push the same CFM of air past the 4 valves. Again I think that what you are saying. I guess in a way the 24 valve head is able to flow more then it is capeable of producing?

Old 12-01-2008, 09:11 PM   #32
neilden

Name: neilden
Title: ready to kick some ass
Member`s Gallery
Im just watching.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:22 PM   #33
SmokinRamMike

Member`s Gallery
Thanks for the help Neilden, apparently we are going to just tear into it and see what happens. From top to bottom

Old 12-01-2008, 10:26 PM   #34
VMacKenzie

Name: VMacKenzie
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Interesting thread. . . a couple comments to throw out from stuff I've read on the boards, but as I understand it the durability of the valves on 24V head can be challenged in competition situations because of the thin stems (7mm) and the fact they are actuated by the triangulated bridges (which can flex and spread slightly and don't apply force in a perfectly vertical manner onto the valve stems). Getting upgraded bridges should be part of the package on a 24V head, plus upgraded springs, all big bucks compared to the minimal expense of a spring upgrade on a 12V head.

I remember some long 12V vs 24V discussions in the past and at that point the all-out p-pumped 24V motors fell short of the most powerful 12 valve engines, but that was several years ago. That would be the question to ask, hos strong are the most powerful p-pumped 24V and CR engines compared to their 12V cousins . . . something I can't answer since it's something I haven't been paying attention to.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:40 PM   #35
SmokinRamMike

Member`s Gallery
Well I think this got a little off topic, due to some random brain farts of mine. But really the #1 question was will the flow of a 12 valve out match the flow of a 24 valve. And I believe I have my answer.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:01 PM   #36
97' CTD

Member`s Gallery
A crude way to put what I was trying to explain is take a 2" hole flow it....
Take 2- 1.5" holes flow them seperatly add them together which one will flow more I still belive in stock form and in a mild P&P form the 4 valve head will out flow a 2 valve head but I HAVE NO PROOF Just a uneducated opinion.
Brandon

Old 12-01-2008, 11:19 PM   #37
fnschlaud4620

Name: fnschlaud4620
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
just a thought,

While the 24v ports may flow slightly better, it has significant restrictions on #1 and #6 the way I understand it.

The 12v head has less restriction to #1 and #6 so possibly the 12v head may flow a higher average with a port that flows a little less, making more power.

On an all out ported head the 24v would probably flow more air once restrictions in #1 and #6 are removed, most likely a bolt on intake too.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:39 PM   #38
FarmerJonCTD

Name: FarmerJonCTD
Title: let em smoke
Member`s Gallery
might as well go to a cr head.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:10 AM   #39
XLR8R

Name: XLR8R
Title: Crew Chief
Member`s Gallery
As far as flow potential, the valve diameter is only relevant insofar as it establishes one of the factors in the equation for actual gas flow.

The annular window presented at valve lift of .450" is far greater than the area comprised by the valve seat I.D.

Mathematically, curtain area will always trump face area as long as the cam still has lobes... that's one of the fundamental reasons why 4V engines have higher power densities than 2Vs.

Closed Thread