Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 11:35 PM   #1
SCHMITTY

Name: SCHMITTY
Title: Not enough time
Member`s Gallery
I believe I just broke my pi billet shaft. Is aermet worth the money ?

Looking at a sonnax or tcs shaft but found a tcs 2 piece aermet for 825$

I have a tcs output. Just rolling into boost with the tc already locked and boom song with some other expensive noises The converter feels more difficult to turn with a screw driver, motor sounded fine.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:55 AM   #2
1stgensleeper

Name: 1stgensleeper
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Do you still have park or not? That’s quite something if it broke while just rolling into it. It’s been a few years since I’ve looked into this much but from what I remember aermet is “stronger” but more brittle and so they tend to break while a billet shaft has a little more give and will generally twist rather than snapping. I’m not sure if this theory still holds true though.

Old 06-01-2018, 03:22 AM   #3
SCHMITTY

Member`s Gallery
I still have park, but the output is fine. While in park I hear a lot of noise. I put a screw driver to my flex plate and it's harder to turn than any other converters/flexplates I've turned that way. May be it was a planetary, I sure hope it is. I have a steel front Planet and a bd flexplate.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:38 AM   #4
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
You may have broken the 2nd gear band, or something related to it. Reason I say this is you mentioned it was making noise in park, the broken pieces of the band were hitting the park rod.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:49 AM   #5
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
You may have broken the 2nd gear band, or something related to it. Reason I say this is you mentioned it was making noise in park, the broken pieces of the band were hitting the park rod.

If he can't move the truck, while in gear then I am betting he has more issues than a broken second gear band.

Any idea what gear you were in when things let go?
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 06-01-2018, 05:56 AM   #6
jasonc

Member`s Gallery
When my band let go shifting into 3rd it sure felt like it broke a shaft, I just shut it off. I've broken my share of inputs and stripped a hub. The racket it made when I put it in park is what reminds me, it sounded so bad I didn't even think of trying to put back in first to see of it would move.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:58 AM   #7
jasonc

Member`s Gallery
Schmitty, have you tried putting in 1st and see if the truck will move?

Old 06-01-2018, 06:49 AM   #8
SPEEDSHIFT

Name: SPEEDSHIFT
Member`s Gallery
I talked to Firepunk recently about the Aremet input shafts, and I was told they dont use them anymore. They use either a standard billet TCS or a fat input setup.

I would say it has probably been twisted and fatigued for a while then just finally let go. These shafts do have a lifespand at certain power levels.
2013 3500 4x4 Aisin Dually Tow Rig

Tenacity Tuning, Longs Machine Shop, BD Diesel Performance

Old 06-01-2018, 08:56 AM   #9
Cflanery88

Name: Cflanery88
Member`s Gallery
Aermet shafts wear into the clutch retainer over time. Upgrading to a Billet clutch retainer solves this issue which I did and experienced. Im guessing Firepunk went away from them due to that issue. Why sell a trans with an aermet shaft if it’s going to wear through a clutch retainer when the cost to sell it with a stronger fat shaft for the same cost as an aermet with a Billet clutch retainer. I was going to upgrade to a Fat shaft when I bought my quad disc and sell my aermet but Phil said to wait cause he said an aermet fat shaft is coming.
06 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L, Wagler +.080 rods, Hobbit tuned, Exergy150% injectors,Polished s475/87 1:0 A/R Engineered Turbo Billet Wheel,arp625s,14mm main studs,PPE dual fuelers,Hamilton 188/220,extreme pushrods,Fleece bypass/drains/distribution block,110#springs.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:58 AM   #10
SCHMITTY

Member`s Gallery
I was in 4th about 55 mph , converter was already locked. It went boom and then sounded like a fork in the garbage disposal. I lost power and it continued to make noise as I put it in neutral and coasted off the highway. When I was stoppped I put it back into gear and it was slipping bad and making noise. I thought it was the tcase at first.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:32 AM   #11
SCHMITTY

Member`s Gallery
Here is where it broke. I'd say it was a good spot. I have a spare pump, drum looked fine, my converter builder cutting and cleaning for 200$. Clutch packs looked good also.

Looking at a tcs Arizona shaft, swapping some gpz frictions , floor shifter and vb mod for manual 2nd, trading out the 5x.016s for some 18s. Also have a zex bottle , 3an lines and a cheater solenoid to try out.

Hopefully I can make it to the track this year and hit 11s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8868.jpg (297.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8874.jpg (260.7 KB, 0 views)

Closed Thread