Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- GM > GM Article
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GM Article Write your own GM Articles

Closed Article

Article Tools
Changing Differential & Transfer Case Fluids Changing Differential & Transfer Case Fluids
Noreaster
06-30-2007
Finally got around to changing the differentials & the transfer case to synthetic. So I figured Id write up a DIY for anybody interested.

Front differential
Whats needed
3/8" or 1/2" ratchet
13mm & 15mm sockets(if your changing the vent that is a 24mm deep socket)
drain pan
2 qts. 75w-90 gear oil
hand pump
white vent cap part #12479390(if you have a 01-02 & switching to synthetic)

Start off by removing the (front diff. skid plate if equipped, 4-15mm bolts)
fill plug(15mm) & then remove the drain plug(13mm) let the old fluid drain for a few minutes. Make sure to clean off the magnet on the drain plug. If your changing the vent plug nows a great time to do it, disconnect the vent hose & whatever way you can get in there with a socket(24mm) on it & turn the ratchet. Install new vent, reattach hose.
Put the drain plug back in & add the approx. 2 qts. into the fill hole with the hand pump, install fill plug (& bolt skidplate back up if equipped). Check every 5,000 miles.

Rear Differential
Whats needed
15mm socket
3/8" ratchet
drain pan
4 qts. 75w-90 gear oil
hand pump

Remove the fill plug(15mm) then the drain plug(3/8" ratchet) drain the fluid, Im not sure if the drain plug has a magnet or the metal dust just accumulates there, clean any debris off.
Reinstall drain plug, add 4qts.(roughly) gear oil into the fill hole with hand pump, fluid should be around 1/2" below fill hole, install fill plug. Check every 5,000 miles

Transfer Case
Whats needed
3/8" or 1/2" ratchet
18mm socket & 19mm deep socket
18mm standard or ratcheting wrench
2 qts. Dex3 or Transynd or Torquedrive ATF(standard way)
3 qts. 5w-30 oil(new method)
drain pan
hand pump
pipe sealant or teflon tape

Standard method
Remove fill plug(18mm) remove drain plug(18mm wrench) drain fluid
Apply pipe sealant or teflon tape to the drain plug & install,
add 2qts into fill hole with hand pump, apply sealant on fill plug & install

New method use standard method & then this
Unclip & disconnect the plug from the sensor on top of the case & removed the sensor(19mm deep) add 1 qt into sensor hole. Install sensor, connect the plug. Check every 5,000 miles & if using oil replace every 10,000 miles.

This a new way to do fluid changes on NV261(floor shift 4x4) & NV263(push button 4x4) from an article. Ill have to find the article again or maybe somebody could post it?

Cost
Amsoil 5w-30 3 qts. $21.75
Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90 $76.10
Hand pump $11.10
Total
$100.05
thats list price on the products  
Article Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Featured Articles

Test Article

Test Article
Noreaster on 06-30-2007, 12:12 AM
cover picscalloping 054.jpg
& more pics to follow once I add text to them
SmokeShow on 07-02-2007, 10:52 AM
So your saying you can use 5w-30 ENGINE oil in the transfer case; just have to use 3 qts of it vs. 2 qts of ATF???

Good write-up. I need to do this baaaadddd. 119K on stock everything as far as I know.
MrBaadBoy on 07-13-2007, 06:16 AM
Smile True friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster
cover picAttachment 3758
& more pics to follow once I add text to them
That there friend Sam sure is a good guy hes the first guy out to lend you hand on those hot muggy days wrenchin under the Truck on a piece of cardboard. I have one of those stand up friends His name is Mr Molsen Molsen Canadian funny accent though Been there when the other friends are out playing golf Boost's your morale To our wrenchin friends
coldLBZ on 10-14-2007, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the write up, I plan on doing mine pretty soon.
renodmax on 03-09-2008, 06:08 PM
5w-30 in the t-case is the way to go.
Closed Article

Article Tools