Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- GM > GM Tech > Colorado/Canyon Diesel
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 04:31 PM   #1
Chris Tobin

Name: Chris Tobin
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Chevy Colorado with the 2.8L Duramax...

I just finished driving a Colorado Z71 Diesel CCLB for a week to review. The review will be out in the April/May 2016 issue of Ultimate Diesel Builder's Guide magazine on the newsstand in about two months.

I won't give away any major details here, but put simply it is an impressive lil' truck and the 2.8L diesel engine is very stout. I towed a skid steer on a tandem axle trailer and it did as good as what I would expect from a 1/2-ton gasser towing a heavy load like that. We also did some serious off roading and the small truck impressed in the dirt, water and mud too!! It was also comfortable for regular city driving with the family.

Price is high, but what new vehicles are not these days? If you want/need a truck and like to tow up to 7600/7700 pounds this could be a great truck that will give near 30 MPG on the highway unloaded and upper 20s in the city with a combined MPG around 24 even with heavy towing/off roading and dyno testing mixed in! This could be a great tow rig for a race team with a light weight race car or truck or someone with a smallish RV and probably perfect for someone with a boat less than 25' or so...

BTW it did 152 HP and 330 lbs-ft of torque on the Dynocom Chassis Dyno at Beans Diesel Performance...

Is anyone looking at getting one of these??? I suspect the aftermarket performance support will be extensive for the little 2.8L Duramax shortly!!! There already is support for the Colorado in general.

Freelance Editor and Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com
I might be able to help get you in a mag.
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.

Old 02-23-2016, 05:11 PM   #2
DDually

Name: DDually
Title: Still spooling..
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Tobin View Post
I just finished driving a Colorado Z71 Diesel CCLB for a week to review. The review will be out in the April/May 2016 issue of Ultimate Diesel Builder's Guide magazine on the newsstand in about two months.

I won't give away any major details here, but put simply it is an impressive lil' truck and the 2.8L diesel engine is very stout. I towed a skid steer on a tandem axle trailer and it did as good as what I would expect from a 1/2-ton gasser towing a heavy load like that. We also did some serious off roading and the small truck impressed in the dirt, water and mud too!! It was also comfortable for regular city driving with the family.

Price is high, but what new vehicles are not these days? If you want/need a truck and like to tow up to 7600/7700 pounds this could be a great truck that will give near 30 MPG on the highway unloaded and upper 20s in the city with a combined MPG around 24 even with heavy towing/off roading and dyno testing mixed in! This could be a great tow rig for a race team with a light weight race car or truck or someone with a smallish RV and probably perfect for someone with a boat less than 25' or so...

BTW it did 152 HP and 330 lbs-ft of torque on the Dynocom Chassis Dyno at Beans Diesel Performance...

Is anyone looking at getting one of these??? I suspect the aftermarket performance support will be extensive for the little 2.8L Duramax shortly!!! There already is support for the Colorado in general.
Id love to get one of these. I think it was Supreme Diesel Performance that already has a compound kit available for them. I rarely tow so the only reason i have my truck is for a toy. A smaller toy would be a better decision lol.

2001 VW TDI South bend, tune, nozzys, custom stuff that's rusting, one custom thing that's not rusting

Old 02-23-2016, 05:14 PM   #3
TheBac

Name: TheBac
Title: UPS guy
Member`s Gallery
....and IIRC, EFILive will work with the 2.8s ECM.

BTW, how is a Colorado a "1/2 ton" truck? More like "3/8 ton".

2017 Buick Regal 2.0T -- the DD

Old 02-23-2016, 05:21 PM   #4
Chris Tobin

Name: Chris Tobin
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac View Post
....and IIRC, EFILive will work with the 2.8s ECM.

BTW, how is a Colorado a "1/2 ton" truck? More like "3/8 ton".
I didn't call it a 1/2 ton, I compared it to a 1/2 ton gasser, meaning a 1500 or 150 with a V8...

But I am not sure technically how they come about with the 1/2, 3/4 and 1-ton categories as payload and towing capacity have greatly increased over the years but we still call them 1/2, 3/4 and 1-ton trucks???

Freelance Editor and Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com
I might be able to help get you in a mag.
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:12 AM   #5
boss760

Name: boss760
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
My brother Picked up his Colorado Diesel Saturday. I am picking up a Gmc Canyon today. We put our order in last October. They are finally starting to make them. Brother has been happy with his for the few days he has had it.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:16 AM   #6
DirtyMaxx03

Name: DirtyMaxx03
Member`s Gallery
I think its Scott at Screamin Diesel Performance that has already fab'd a compound turbo kit for the 2.8. Its also Efi tuned. Cool stuff

Old 02-24-2016, 07:20 AM   #7
jesnic7

Name: jesnic7
Member`s Gallery
How did it compare to the new Dodge 1/2 ton eco diesel or the f150 ecoboost?

Old 02-24-2016, 07:30 AM   #8
budderbean

Name: budderbean
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Scott at Screamin Diesel Performance

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...0750503&type=3

Old 02-24-2016, 08:00 AM   #9
jlbayes

Name: jlbayes
Member`s Gallery
that vm motori diesel is a tough little cookie.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:17 AM   #10
Micheal Tomac

Name: Micheal Tomac
Title: been pulling forever
Member`s Gallery
I test drove a Colorado diesel last Saturday. Having never driven a new Colorado or Canyon before I was not surprised that it was light years ahead of the previous generation in ride, handling, interior quality and styling. The Colorado diesel I drove was a red CCLB 4x4 Z71 with 3.42 axle ratio. It was well equipped, but not loaded and had a price tag of $41,260 including $3905 for the 2.8L Duramax. The engine had good power and worked well with the 6 speed auto transmission but it will not wow you if you're running it like a gasser in the upper rpm range. The little 2.8L Duramax is more impressive in the low and mid rpm range where a diesel engine is suppose to work.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:09 AM   #11
DDually

Name: DDually
Title: Still spooling..
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyMaxx03 View Post
I think its Scott at Screamin Diesel Performance that has already fab'd a compound turbo kit for the 2.8. Its also Efi tuned. Cool stuff
Thats the one. I knew it was SDP just not what each letter stood for lol

2001 VW TDI South bend, tune, nozzys, custom stuff that's rusting, one custom thing that's not rusting

Old 02-24-2016, 11:32 AM   #12
lorendiesel5.9

Name: lorendiesel5.9
Title: OG Hunnybadger
Member`s Gallery
Fleece has theirs with a BDS lift on it and bigger tires already. Don't think they've messed with power much yet.

97 #12vqclbmafia slipping auto

00 Pete 378 12.7 Detroit 10spd

03 Pete 379 6NZ Caterpillar 18spd

Old 02-24-2016, 11:38 AM   #13
Subman631

Name: Subman631
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheal Tomac View Post
I test drove a Colorado diesel last Saturday. Having never driven a new Colorado or Canyon before I was not surprised that it was light years ahead of the previous generation in ride, handling, interior quality and styling. The Colorado diesel I drove was a red CCLB 4x4 Z71 with 3.42 axle ratio. It was well equipped, but not loaded and had a price tag of $41,260 including $3905 for the 2.8L Duramax. The engine had good power and worked well with the 6 speed auto transmission but it will not wow you if you're running it like a gasser in the upper rpm range. The little 2.8L Duramax is more impressive in the low and mid rpm range where a diesel engine is suppose to work.
Damn Michael haven't seen you on here in years, hope all is well. That seems really pricey for a little truck, just can't get my head around paying 11K more for a little truck than I did for my first house.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:47 AM   #14
unfinished business

Name: unfinished business
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subman631 View Post
Damn Michael haven't seen you on here in years, hope all is well. That seems really pricey for a little truck, just can't get my head around paying 11K more for a little truck than I did for my first house.
How long ago did you buy your first house

Old 02-24-2016, 11:48 AM   #15
Micheal Tomac

Member`s Gallery
I've been around, just don't post as much.

I priced out a Ram 1500 Trademan quad cab 4x4 with 3.0 Diesel and the sticker was under $42K. That seems like a good deal compared to the Colorado diesel but not if you consider my 2007 crew cab 4x4 LBZ Duramax had a sticker of 42K,

Old 02-24-2016, 12:25 PM   #16
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
It was well equipped, but not loaded and had a price tag of $41,260 including $3905 for the 2.8L Duramax.
HO.....LY........

$41K+ for a 3/8 ton truck? What the hell is the world coming too.

"There are people far less intelligent than you making a living doing this stuff." - Jeff Mumau

Old 02-24-2016, 12:32 PM   #17
Timbeaux

Name: Timbeaux
Title: Administrator and Head Thread Derailer
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

Hey Mike! Glad to see you back around.

Was that $41260 on the sticker? I wonder how far a dealer may be willing to negotiate down? Last year they were coming 10k off sticker on new 3/4 ton trucks, but demand for a 65k+ truck is not as great as it was before the energy downturn.
NO LIMIT FAB, DIESEL SOUTH, DC CUSTOMS
Quote:
"I just love everything about racing. I wanna race every single day. Its nothing for me to be cutting grass and the neighbor hoss the gas on his mower, and there we are, lined up in the the middle of the street." - Stevie KillinTime Jackson
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves fight unvictorious."

Old 02-24-2016, 01:00 PM   #18
oldestof11

Name: oldestof11
Title: Drag racer
Member`s Gallery
Calibrate Performance I think has already slapped compounds on one.

Old 02-24-2016, 02:18 PM   #19
boss760

Name: boss760
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Just drove diesel Canyon home. I think I will like it. The main thing I noticed was little lag taking off. It said I got 32 mpg on the short trip. I didn't go more than 65 mph.

Old 02-24-2016, 02:39 PM   #20
Micheal Tomac

Member`s Gallery
Yes, that was sticker price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbeaux38 View Post
Hey Mike! Glad to see you back around.

Was that $41260 on the sticker? I wonder how far a dealer may be willing to negotiate down? Last year they were coming 10k off sticker on new 3/4 ton trucks, but demand for a 65k+ truck is not as great as it was before the energy downturn.

Closed Thread