Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 2013+ 6.7L 385
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2021, 07:33 AM   #1
JRRacing66

Name: JRRacing66
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
2018 CC injectors vs 2018 Pickup injectors with CC ECM

I bought a Cab Chassis with a toasted Engine. Took it to a machine shop and was told head is a chinese knockoff. Charlie Miller laughed at it. He said the valve seats were so random it looked like whack a mole. Great guy .021-.050 valve face to head surface gap. He said .023 should be min and they should be uniform or it changes compression ratio etc which makes sense.

In frustration I bought a complete 6.7 2018 pickup unit with 11k miles. It looks brand new and has a 90 day warranty so I felt-safe. CPL says 385 hp vs 305 or 325 in original cc engine.

Ordered 625 ARP kit for it and will install it before it goes in truck or may modify the the stud interference area with an air grinder so it is ready. Should get it running first.

I digress....

Q: do I have to pull out and swap the injectors to get this to run? Put the CC ones in? That means tubes and copper and blah blah. Or maybe someone out there knows a way around this. Thanks in advance.

I am using the original cab chassis ECM. I see on searches that the cab chassis ones are needed with a CC ECM. Just seems like a 2 wire solenoid what could cause an issue. Line pressure range Actuation speed?

The harness is different so I will use original harness. I put the pinouts from connector web page for both trucks and they are very similar but the plan is to stay with the original wiring harness just in case. By the way Weber Bros. auto parts in annville,pa does a great job pulling these engines. They zip tie the whole harness and put caps in all open fittings.

Any and all help with this is greatly appreciated.

Old 11-18-2021, 07:49 PM   #2
Runsideways3

Name: Runsideways3
Member`s Gallery
No you have to uses the cab and chassis injectors if you are using cc ecm. There a different size if I remember.

Old 11-19-2021, 06:09 AM   #3
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
The pistons might be different between CC and Dodge. I could tell you for sure if you have the engine numbers from both.

Old 11-30-2021, 06:29 PM   #4
JRRacing66

Member`s Gallery
Thanks I am using the pickup engine as a whole with a few changes in the egr plumbing. Rest is erased follow my drift. Am waiting on a city diesel actuator to complete it 2 weeks out. I have run it around the block a few times but that is it I will say it is a beast and that Aisin shifts like a dream unlike what I have heard on some forums. I hope to have this thing ready for a tow test in 2 weeks!

thanks Snedge for the piston lookup offer. I can do that myself , I have the Knowledgy just lack the tech hahaha thanks!

Old 12-24-2021, 09:54 PM   #5
JRRacing66

Member`s Gallery
I have been trying to research the difference between these engines and have been in contact with someone on the CF forum.

I used the complete PU engine to replace the CC unit.. I was worried that the piston shape and the spray pattern would be an issue if I used the CC injectors in the PU engine.

The only possible issue I see is a slight combustion knock at light throttle when engine is cold at normal delaware temps for december (approx 35 degrees F). It runs like a beast and mileage unloaded varies between ezlynk tunes. 10 to 12 MPG but I haven't really done any long distance. I am using the 0hp tunes but testing PU and CC. I will say GDP is great with the tech portion and testing tunes. I want to look at a PU piston vs a CC piston.

From reading the CC engine is made for low cost low power and longevity (based on low power) Mine was abused before I bought it and had a seat drop in cyl 5 and a piston hole in #6. I doubt this would happen in the 370hp PU motor due to it being more robust.

My next question would be

Should I be using the HE351VGT turbo vs the HE 300 ?? Can I go bigger on turbo as long as it is VGT?

Thanks for reading..

Last edited by JRRacing66; 12-24-2021 at 10:05 PM.

Old 12-25-2021, 07:46 AM   #6
pushlar84

Name: pushlar84
Title: pushlar84
Member`s Gallery
So the bowl and injector are different on a chassis cab as well as the compressor wheel is smaller
When we do these engines, we always use the pickup stuff- injectors and pistons
U don't have to run the pickup ecm
For what u are doing u can use that complete pickup engine without any issues

Old 12-25-2021, 07:48 AM   #7
pushlar84

Name: pushlar84
Title: pushlar84
Member`s Gallery
Seems like Cummins put the cheapest crap they could in those cylinders heads
Bought every chassis cab u see drops a valve seat sometime

Old 01-21-2022, 09:27 AM   #8
Mark Nixon

Name: Mark Nixon
Title: No Savior among the flesh
Member`s Gallery
Like anything else, more fuel, more heat, things expand and move.
Never understood WHY Cummins put cast seats in their heads and not a decent steel one.

If you think the 13-18 engines have issues, just wait until the 19+ age some.

IMO the CGI engines are a total mess in the making, as the lifter design has already proven fatal.

Mark.

Closed Thread