Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- GM > GM Tech > Colorado/Canyon Diesel
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2014, 02:36 PM   #1
wideopen
 
wideopen's Avatar

Name: wideopen
Title: Slum Lord
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kowloon
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 20,815
Meet the 2.8L DuraMax

http://www.equipmentworld.com/durama...olet-colorado/



Duramax 2.8L: Meet the 4-cylinder diesel coming to the Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon

Bruce Smith| December 26, 2013

Click the image to open in full size.


If you want to see the future of U.S. diesel pickup engines, keep a close eye on what’s happening 8,500 miles west of Detroit. Or for that matter, anywhere else but on the North American continent.

We love our high-horsepower, V-8 gas and diesels and big pickups here in the U.S. But the rest of the world is quite happy driving V-6 and 4-cylinder diesels in mid-size trucks.

That’s why GM, among others, has invested a lot of time and money engineering some of the best little diesels on the planet and doing so on the other side of the world. Case in point: The 2nd generation 163-horsepower, 2.5L and 200-horsepower 2.8L Duramax (MY14) four-bangers recently introduced in Bangkok, Thailand.

GMs Thailand marketing numbers say that the first generation in a 4×4 Chevrolet Colorado provides fuel economy of 25.57 mpg—and the new version is 6 percent better. Both engines will be showing up in the Thailand and Southeast Asian Colorado pickup truck and Trailblazer SUV, two of Chevrolet’s most popular overseas models.

And in November, GM announced that the redesigned Chevrolet Colorado will be getting this Duramax diesel as an option starting in 2015.

“When we launched the first generation Duramax four-cylinder turbo-diesel engines two years ago, both the 2.5-liter and 2.8-liter variants delivered best in class power and torque outputs,” said Nicola Menarini, Global Chief Engineer, GM Powertrain.

“The new-generation, MY14 Duramax engines just raised that bar even further with unprecedented levels of output from a compact and highly-efficient construction. When we were developing the second-generation Duramax engine, outright power and torque outputs were not the main priorities,” Menarini said.

The 2.8L has several new parts, namely a new water-cooled variable-geometry turbocharger, a new high-pressure common-rail fuel delivery system, a new Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system, a new intake manifold, a new cylinder head, a new cylinder block, a new balancer shaft unit and a new Engine Control Module (ECM).

The 2nd Gen Duramax fours are also very clean: GM says both engines are Euro-4 compliant and can be upgraded to meet Euro-5, -6 and U.S. emission standards if necessary.

The new Duramax engines were engineered in Europe and the U.S., with global application as one of its developmental objectives. They are being built in the $200 million GM Powertrain Thailand plant, which is their most advanced diesel engine facility.


Click the image to open in full size.

Duramax 2.5L/2.8L Key Components

Commonrail system - The high pressure fuel pump of the second generation Duramax engine operates at pressures up to 2,000 bar, enabling increased engine efficiency. It provides a high pressure fuel in the common rail system and a fine vapor is sprayed into the engine based on input from the ECMto ensure efficient combustion and performance while reducing CO2 and fuel consumption.

Turbo (2.8L) - The improved variable-geometry turbo incorporates a water-cooling system in the turbine housing to reduce heat when operating at high speeds and full load. This feature extends the life of the turbo and the engine

EGR valve and EGR cooler - The new EGR system Decreases exhaust emissions (oxides of nitrogen / NOx) by reducing charge temperature and reducing excess levels of O2 in the combustion chamber. The new Duramax engine uses an Electric EGR valve for greater precision and a larger EGR cooler to further reduce recirculated exhaust gas temperature.

Intake manifold - The new engine uses an enhanced, lighter and higher efficiency intake manifold, which helps improve overall engine performance. The redesigned and improved intake manifold allows increased exhaust gas recirculation and increases air intake efficiency. In conjunction with the new EGR system emissions are reduced.

Cylinder Head - An improved and redesigned cylinder head has a larger exhaust port and water passage to enhance cooling efficiency. The new engine comes with an improved oil distribution channel to enhance lubricant supply in the cylinder head. The second generation cylinder head is lighter and increases overall engine efficiency.

Cylinder block - New water jacket and cooling circuit design in the new cylinder block helps improve heat exchange. The new cylinder block is also lighter, , which contributes to improved vehicle efficiency

Balance shaft unit - Reduces vibration and noise caused by crankshaft and reciprocating parts. Redesigned components inside the balancer shaft and an improved production process reduces engine vibration and noise.

Engine control module (ECM)- New software and hardware was developed by the GM engineering team for quicker response, improved accuracy and precision of overall engine control. The second generation engine offers better fuel economy, performance and lower emissions.
__________________

____________________________________________
COMPETITIONDIESEL.COM
Born on Date: April 3 2006
TS Performance ~ Diesel Performance Converters~ Fleece Performance ~ Suncoast ~ Fast Layne ~ Pro Street Diesel
Hellmann Performance ~ Keating Machine ~ Engineered Diesel ~ Mumau Diesel ~ GoGo Diesel ~ Hamilton Cams ~ Diesel Innovations ~ Grand Rock Exhaust ~ Smarty


"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."


Molon labe
#FTCS
 
Old 01-30-2014, 10:08 AM   #2
tatersalad
 
tatersalad's Avatar

Name: tatersalad
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jul 2009
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 506
that thing will be 40 grand all said n done..
__________________
TATER
Harden Family Farms/Trucking
Randall's Performance Inc.
 
Old 03-31-2014, 08:19 AM   #3
BgBlDodge
 
BgBlDodge's Avatar

Name: BgBlDodge
Title: Hates hippies
Status: Not Here
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Buda, Tx
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 16,647
That's a good looking little truck.
__________________
2003 Nissan 350z Touring 6mt
2000 4runner Limited

Tyler Williams

We have become educated beyond our intelligence. -Jerry Clower
 
Old 03-31-2014, 08:23 AM   #4
zfaylor
 
zfaylor's Avatar

Name: zfaylor
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: P-TOWN!, Indiana
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 5,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatersalad View Post
that thing will be 40 grand all said n done..
This^

The idea of a 4 banger or v6 diesel is great and I would buy one in a heartbeat but considering the price tag is near that of a couple year old 3/4 ton or 1 ton diesel I cannot justify it.
__________________
2015 half ton heavy chevy
81 Fairmont LS project
Many yard ornament projects...

North American Turbo
 
Old 03-31-2014, 09:41 AM   #5
4x4dually
 
4x4dually's Avatar

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Proxy Moder4tor
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Stillwater, OK
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 30,100
Well isn't that just a cute little thang......

Click the image to open in full size.
 
Old 03-31-2014, 08:32 PM   #6
1pieceatatime.
 
1pieceatatime.'s Avatar

Name: 1pieceatatime.
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Utica NY
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfaylor View Post
This^

The idea of a 4 banger or v6 diesel is great and I would buy one in a heartbeat but considering the price tag is near that of a couple year old 3/4 ton or 1 ton diesel I cannot justify it.
Yeah, why shell out 40 grand for a well equipped Colorado when a well equipped 2500hd Duramax is only 60K all said and done?

You guys that are bashing what this thing will cost have obviously not shopped "smaller" daily driver type vehicles that aren't shoeboxes.........
__________________
Need Axle and Driveline parts? Maybe a custom driveshaft? Hit me up for quote.
  • U-joints
  • Slip yokes
  • End Yokes
  • Axle Shafts
  • Axle and Diff Parts
  • Dana & AAM Ball joint kits
 
Old 03-31-2014, 10:01 PM   #7
oldestof11
 
oldestof11's Avatar

Name: oldestof11
Title: Drag racer
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dixon, IL
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 9,084
Guy at Chicago Auto Show was saying a fully decked out crew cab 4x4 diesel was going to be around $35k.


Sent via USPS 2 weeks ago
__________________
Jon
Click the image to open in full size.
 
Old 03-31-2014, 10:34 PM   #8
TheBac
 
TheBac's Avatar

Name: TheBac
Title: UPS guy
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mid Michigan
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 2,344
About damn time.
__________________
Tom
"BBT" -- 2003 GMC CC/SB 4x4 12.14@111.15
"KLESHAY" -- 2000 C5 Corvette -- the toy

2017 Buick Regal 2.0T -- the DD

 
Old 04-01-2014, 08:17 AM   #9
zfaylor
 
zfaylor's Avatar

Name: zfaylor
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: P-TOWN!, Indiana
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 5,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1pieceatatime. View Post
Yeah, why shell out 40 grand for a well equipped Colorado when a well equipped 2500hd Duramax is only 60K all said and done?

You guys that are bashing what this thing will cost have obviously not shopped "smaller" daily driver type vehicles that aren't shoeboxes.........
Yeah since that is what I said right? NO.

Read again before you cock off. I said 'I' as in myself cannot justify it. When a COUPLE YEAR OLD 3/4 ton or 1 ton is near the same price.
__________________
2015 half ton heavy chevy
81 Fairmont LS project
Many yard ornament projects...

North American Turbo
 
Old 04-01-2014, 08:29 AM   #10
1pieceatatime.
 
1pieceatatime.'s Avatar

Name: 1pieceatatime.
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Utica NY
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfaylor View Post
Yeah since that is what I said right? NO.

Read again before you cock off. I said 'I' as in myself cannot justify it. When a COUPLE YEAR OLD 3/4 ton or 1 ton is near the same price.
Im not really sure how I "cocked off".

What do you guys want for a $40k in a new vehicle?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
__________________
Need Axle and Driveline parts? Maybe a custom driveshaft? Hit me up for quote.
  • U-joints
  • Slip yokes
  • End Yokes
  • Axle Shafts
  • Axle and Diff Parts
  • Dana & AAM Ball joint kits
 
Old 04-01-2014, 08:29 AM   #11
1pieceatatime.
 
1pieceatatime.'s Avatar

Name: 1pieceatatime.
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Utica NY
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1pieceatatime. View Post
Im not really sure how I "cocked off".

What do you guys want for a $40k in a new vehicle?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk


Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
__________________
Need Axle and Driveline parts? Maybe a custom driveshaft? Hit me up for quote.
  • U-joints
  • Slip yokes
  • End Yokes
  • Axle Shafts
  • Axle and Diff Parts
  • Dana & AAM Ball joint kits
 
Old 04-01-2014, 08:41 AM   #12
zfaylor
 
zfaylor's Avatar

Name: zfaylor
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: P-TOWN!, Indiana
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 5,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1pieceatatime. View Post
Im not really sure how I "cocked off".

What do you guys want for a $40k in a new vehicle?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Being a smartazz is cocking off. Mute point though.

Like I said, would love the idea of a small diesel. In fact I never said 40k was too much for what it was.

However, considering it is nothing more than a commuter that can haul the occasional 2x4 or two from Lowes I personally could never justify it when I can buy a more useful truck for myself and my needs for the same money slightly used. If you need something with great fuel mileage buy a Jetta. If you need a truck buy more than you think you'll need.

Again, when I use the word 'I' and 'personally' in a statement it reflects my personal opinion and very well could only apply to myself. If you don't agree then great.
__________________
2015 half ton heavy chevy
81 Fairmont LS project
Many yard ornament projects...

North American Turbo
 
Old 04-01-2014, 12:47 PM   #13
1pieceatatime.
 
1pieceatatime.'s Avatar

Name: 1pieceatatime.
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Utica NY
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfaylor View Post
Being a smartazz is cocking off. Mute point though.

Like I said, would love the idea of a small diesel. In fact I never said 40k was too much for what it was.

However, considering it is nothing more than a commuter that can haul the occasional 2x4 or two from Lowes I personally could never justify it when I can buy a more useful truck for myself and my needs for the same money slightly used. If you need something with great fuel mileage buy a Jetta. If you need a truck buy more than you think you'll need.

Again, when I use the word 'I' and 'personally' in a statement it reflects my personal opinion and very well could only apply to myself. If you don't agree then great.
I'm not being a smartass, it seemed as though you were balking at the price. I don't get why everyone wants to compare it to a fullsize truck. Its not, its a grocery getter/commuter for someone like myself that doesn't want to drive a ****box car.
__________________
Need Axle and Driveline parts? Maybe a custom driveshaft? Hit me up for quote.
  • U-joints
  • Slip yokes
  • End Yokes
  • Axle Shafts
  • Axle and Diff Parts
  • Dana & AAM Ball joint kits
 
Old 04-01-2014, 01:24 PM   #14
zfaylor
 
zfaylor's Avatar

Name: zfaylor
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: P-TOWN!, Indiana
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 5,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1pieceatatime. View Post
I'm not being a smartass, it seemed as though you were balking at the price. I don't get why everyone wants to compare it to a fullsize truck. Its not, its a grocery getter/commuter for someone like myself that doesn't want to drive a ****box car.
Agreed bud.

If someone wants a truck to get groceries with and maybe even make a toy (I mean look at what that drag truck from Thailand did) then this is it for them. If the fuel mileage is as great as it has the ability to be with a light chassis and small displacement diesel that is.

It is tough to beat a jetta for fuel mileage and tough to beat a full size truck those few times someone might need it is all I was saying.
__________________
2015 half ton heavy chevy
81 Fairmont LS project
Many yard ornament projects...

North American Turbo
 
Old 04-01-2014, 01:36 PM   #15
1pieceatatime.
 
1pieceatatime.'s Avatar

Name: 1pieceatatime.
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Utica NY
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfaylor View Post
Agreed bud.

If someone wants a truck to get groceries with and maybe even make a toy (I mean look at what that drag truck from Thailand did) then this is it for them. If the fuel mileage is as great as it has the ability to be with a light chassis and small displacement diesel that is.

It is tough to beat a jetta for fuel mileage and tough to beat a full size truck those few times someone might need it is all I was saying.
I'll be honest, I'm kind of excited when I look at this thing and I'm probably making that obvious.

I have a 24 mile a day round trip commute, I run out during the day for shop errands, am constantly lugging greasy parts home and back. I probably don't NEED the diesel version, but I'm definitely interested.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
__________________
Need Axle and Driveline parts? Maybe a custom driveshaft? Hit me up for quote.
  • U-joints
  • Slip yokes
  • End Yokes
  • Axle Shafts
  • Axle and Diff Parts
  • Dana & AAM Ball joint kits
 
Old 04-01-2014, 01:37 PM   #16
zfaylor
 
zfaylor's Avatar

Name: zfaylor
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: P-TOWN!, Indiana
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 5,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1pieceatatime. View Post
I'll be honest, I'm kind of excited when I look at this thing and I'm probably making that obvious.

I have a 24 mile a day round trip commute, I run out during the day for shop errands, am constantly lugging greasy parts home and back. I probably don't NEED the diesel version, but I'm definitely interested.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
I could definitely see someone like yourself using a small pickup. The ability to throw greasy parts somewhere other than in the cab is worth it's weight in gold.
__________________
2015 half ton heavy chevy
81 Fairmont LS project
Many yard ornament projects...

North American Turbo
 
Old 04-01-2014, 01:50 PM   #17
CHEMMINS

Name: CHEMMINS
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Apr 2010
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 345
I can't wait till people smash em up and we can steal the engines for some tube frame buggies.
__________________
2007 SRW 3500 Mega - 35" Bald Toyo MT's, Levelling Kit, Bilstein 5100's, Flo-Pro 5" SS TBE to 4" duals with 6" tips 18" long, AFE intake tube with amsoil filter, Airdog II 165, II 120% cp3.

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Ben Franklin
 
Old 04-01-2014, 02:38 PM   #18
1pieceatatime.
 
1pieceatatime.'s Avatar

Name: 1pieceatatime.
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Utica NY
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfaylor View Post
I could definitely see someone like yourself using a small pickup. The ability to throw greasy parts somewhere other than in the cab is worth it's weight in gold.
You should see the inside of my buddies Jetta TDI. Its downright tragic.

"Just set that transfer case on the back seat, the trunk is full”

"Uhh. I'm gonna out the seat belt on it in case you have to stop fast"

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
__________________
Need Axle and Driveline parts? Maybe a custom driveshaft? Hit me up for quote.
  • U-joints
  • Slip yokes
  • End Yokes
  • Axle Shafts
  • Axle and Diff Parts
  • Dana & AAM Ball joint kits
 
Old 04-01-2014, 02:52 PM   #19
zfaylor
 
zfaylor's Avatar

Name: zfaylor
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: P-TOWN!, Indiana
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 5,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1pieceatatime. View Post
You should see the inside of my buddies Jetta TDI. Its downright tragic.

"Just set that transfer case on the back seat, the trunk is full”

"Uhh. I'm gonna out the seat belt on it in case you have to stop fast"

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
I can only imagine. The place I manage sells used concrete trucks and parts. The messes the employees manage to make and the places they can get grease and oil never cease to amaze me.
__________________
2015 half ton heavy chevy
81 Fairmont LS project
Many yard ornament projects...

North American Turbo
 
Old 11-19-2014, 07:25 PM   #20
RascalMafia
 
RascalMafia's Avatar

Name: RascalMafia
Title: heyyyyyyy girrrrrrrl
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Middle GA
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 5,150
Phucking solid. Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
'18 Chevy 2500
'14 Cruze Diesel - EFILive by Oz Tuner
'08 Corvette Z06 - Vengeance Racing H/C/I, 583 rwhp
'07 Kawasaki ZX10R - 175 rwhp


 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 PM.

 


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2006 - 2022, CompetitionDiesel.com
all information found on this site is property of www.competitiondiesel.com