Would "regen" temps on an '08 light a hay bale?

4x4dually

A nieghbors truck decided to light 350 round bales of hay on fire this Sat morning. An '08 flatbed pulled in with two bales and stacked them. He pulled out and met the other truck, an 01 like my 02, 1/4 down the road coming with two more. By the time the 01 pulled in, 5 bales were on fire. By the time they got help and a tractor to save as many as possible, over 350 were flaming...and it was freakin' HOT.

Does the regen temps on the 6.7L cause fires like the 6.4L's did when they had their recall? They were stackin them the wrong direction, the exhaust was firing into the previous row insted of pointing it out away from the hay. I told him we need to put a stack on. :D

Opinions on this?

Well the 6.7's, to the best of my knowledge don't regen while idling. However the exhaust is still pretty hot especially if you have just been pulling pretty hard. So I imagine if he had towed the load in and pulled right up alongside the bales it could have been hot enough to ignite it.

Problem with the "two bale, Hydra-bed" is that once you drop the frist bale, you usually stay in one place while cycling the lift arm to get the next bale and set it down. I think they idle when doing this, meaning, I don't think there is a "high-idle" function while the hydraulics are in use. I do know that they moved seveal hundred bales and I'm sure the trucks were hot. The hydraulic pump is mounted to the motor and runs off the belt.

man that sucks. I think the 6.7's do actually regen at idle but they go into high idle mode as they do and yes it gets very hot. I drove one the other day for a 24 hour test drive and it did that to me.

I have heard of three of them burning to the ground here in my area, due to hay and tall grass fires, they all jumped and abandoned the truck, from what i heard. A dealer told me it was the taller dry grass touching the DPF, not the exh. coming out of the tail pipe?

That's a good chance too...they were stackin' in some weeds. Add to it....20 mph winds. The wind hasn't blown for weeks and that morning it kicked up like freakin' crazy. I should have took pictures.

This fire wasn't started by a truck in regen mode, however it did involve burning "hey"...

A barn full of hay and a nice north wind blowing thru from one open end to the other open end (feeding the fire) will get things extremely hot...

Check these out from back in '04...

All aluminum parts were puddles on the ground... The frame of the tractor got so hot it actually bent from the weight it was supporting all the way to the ground in the front...

DSC00453.jpg

DSC00466.jpg

DSC00473.jpg

DSC00467.jpg

DSC00475.jpg

Moral to this story is "don't take your 6.7 into the woods hunting". And wait for the parks department to ban them because of the exhaust heat.

Can't wait to buy another one!!!

A nieghbors truck decided to light 350 round bales of hay on fire this Sat morning. An '08 flatbed pulled in with two bales and stacked them. He pulled out and met the other truck, an 01 like my 02, 1/4 down the road coming with two more. By the time the 01 pulled in, 5 bales were on fire. By the time they got help and a tractor to save as many as possible, over 350 were flaming...and it was freakin' HOT.

Does the regen temps on the 6.7L cause fires like the 6.4L's did when they had their recall? They were stackin them the wrong direction, the exhaust was firing into the previous row insted of pointing it out away from the hay. I told him we need to put a stack on. :D

Opinions on this?

The fires on 6.4s were from broken injectors. And from crap getting into the fuel system and hanging the injector wide open.

The fires on 6.4s were from broken injectors. And from crap getting into the fuel system and hanging the injector wide open.

I thought Ford recalled a bunch of 6.4's and reflashed them to fix the problem? Shows how much I know about furds.

Man, that would suck ass to lose a Caterpillar tractor in a hEy fire! :bang

Back