Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Entrance Gate- Welcome to Competition Diesel > Competition Events and Get-Togethers > Full Pull Productions
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
rickFPP

Name: rickFPP
Title: Promoter USA-EAST
Member`s Gallery
If you have a Rockwell, do you have an OPEN driveline??

that is the question that has been posed to me.

lets say USA-EAST permitted a ROCKWELL rear-end in the Pro Stock Diesel class (in order to save breakage issues and additional cost issues).

is this possible without going to the open driveline.

your thoughts are important....

Old 10-06-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
DISTURBED

Name: DISTURBED
Title: YEA WE RIDE THE SHORT BUS
Member`s Gallery
I dont know if i would word it this way "in order to save breakage issues and additional cost issues". The reason being that the rears breaking is saving the transmissions from breaking, put a rear in it that wont break then there is going to another weak link. Once the rears stop breaking then you can add more power till the trans breaks and when that goes alot of time so does the motor. In my opinion your are just prolonging the Inevitable and that is open driveline at this point. Also in the eyes of every org. that put on pulls this would still be an open drive line truck because the rear didnt come in a 1 ton or smaller pickup.

I have no dog in this fight but if you open the drive line i will make some of the hooks if you dont i will run some place else so i am just putting in constructive criticism.

01 CTD Retired sled puller, dedicated "Twin Turbo" tow rig
96 CTD "TOO" Disturbed 3.0 - Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance
96 CTD "The Sickness" 2.6/2.8- Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance

Last edited by DISTURBED; 10-06-2009 at 03:24 PM.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:06 PM   #3
rawdog

Name: rawdog
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
i agree,all or nothing.and,there will be some pretty pissed off guys that run that class because of the $3000 or more in parts in those dana 80s.besides the fact,is wny profarm going to adopt these rules as well?

Old 10-06-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
rawdog

Member`s Gallery
i also would like to say how close some of the pro stock guys are with a stock drive against the open guys with no expence spared.i also believe if starting with a rolling chassis the cost is about the same if you find deals and do the work your self.but who am i?just some thoughts

Old 10-06-2009, 06:12 PM   #5
JOHNBOY

Name: JOHNBOY
Title: ZF6 Sled Puller
Member`s Gallery
Just adding a Rockwell F106 will not help me. The trouble is gear ratios. The most common 106 ratio's 5.80, 5.83, 6.20, 6.80, 7.20. Most Dodge pullers use the 6.20 setup because they can get 6.17 front gears. But I can not get a gear set that matches like that for the front of my GM. So in order to go Rockwell rear I would need to swap out the front end to. It can be done but there is still another issue. Final gear ratio. With the ratios available in a Rockwell I would need a dropbox. The Stock Transfer cases strong enough for our trucks all have 2.72 ratios. Combine that with 6.2 in the Rockwell you get a 16.86 final drive ratio. That is way to high for a Dmax. We need to be around 13. We need a transfercase reduction of 2.09 With a Dropbox we can easily do that and we can fine tune the ratio quickly and easily.

I dont have a problem with opening the the driveline rules. I will not be able to step up to open driveline to 2010. After all I spent on bringing the OEM driveline up to snuff I can not afford to go open this winter.

Even if I could it would be tough because of the added height of switching the front and rear axles means the truck would not fit in my garage anymore.
Originally Posted by Gale Banks
My answer to the guys with nitrous........Get a better job........make some more money so you can learn to turbocharge!

Old 10-06-2009, 06:17 PM   #6
JOHNBOY

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawdog View Post
i also would like to say how close some of the pro stock guys are with a stock drive against the open guys with no expence spared.i also believe if starting with a rolling chassis the cost is about the same if you find deals and do the work your self.but who am i?just some thoughts
I looked into it last winter before upgrading my stock stuff. Basicly the same money. I wish I only had $3000 in my rear axle that I just broke.
My answer to the guys with nitrous........Get a better job........make some more money so you can learn to turbocharge!

Old 10-06-2009, 06:44 PM   #7
timlb703

Name: timlb703
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
For myself transmission is the weak point. I don't feel as though the rear end is my week point.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #8
rawdog

Member`s Gallery
yea,i was just throwing that number out.christ,you can buy a military rear for call it $600.breakproof axles and spool for $3500.machine work on spindles $500.done and not ever touching it again.but even dodge guys would need to use a dropbox to stay on the low side of the t case

Old 10-06-2009, 07:32 PM   #9
MCummings

Name: MCummings
Title: It's my name ^
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY View Post
Most Dodge pullers use the 6.20 setup because they can get 6.17 front gears. But I can not get a gear set that matches like that for the front of my GM.
Why not just spin the fronts faster like the mud racers do?

Merrick

Old 10-06-2009, 07:36 PM   #10
DISTURBED

Name: DISTURBED
Title: YEA WE RIDE THE SHORT BUS
Member`s Gallery
Because a mud racers doesnt weigh 8000 pounds. It will break the teeth off the ring gear from dragging the rearend around. More then a couple points off and its hard on stuff

01 CTD Retired sled puller, dedicated "Twin Turbo" tow rig
96 CTD "TOO" Disturbed 3.0 - Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance
96 CTD "The Sickness" 2.6/2.8- Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance

Old 10-06-2009, 08:18 PM   #11
IKNOWEVERYTHING

Name: IKNOWEVERYTHING
Title: Know it all
Member`s Gallery
I would say all or nothing !!! Someone somewhere has to hold the line on rules and slow the progression down. The dang 2.6 class is way out of line and it gets worse the higher up you go. I would say stay with oem drive line to hold the class back or empty the deep pockets of the big shots till they detune and run a resonable hp that will keep there driveline living. If you give into driveline this year they will want to open up turbo rules next and then you have a two class's and the only difference is the tires....... Cut pullers or street tires because both trucks will have the same motor under the hood...

Old 10-06-2009, 08:23 PM   #12
JOHNBOY

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IKNOWEVERYTHING View Post
Cut pullers or street tires because both trucks will have the same motor under the hood...
Both classes have the basicly the same engine rules now. PS can run more tire.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:42 PM   #13
wanabsledpuller

Name: wanabsledpuller
Member`s Gallery
well you see,the Ntpa is adding a prostock class,running the 3.0 turbo,open driveline,if you,fullpull would have open driveline,you could, an can build a truck an run all across the country with the same truck with out changing a lot of stuff,to me that would make more sence,because you would get more pullers,and no you don't havto change the turbo rules,leave it unlimitted single an 3.2 twins,just like NADMs....it would work great,trust me,
06CHEVY 2500HD DMAX,05 3500 DODGE CUMMINS 6WHEELER,09 5500 DAULLY,CUMMINS POWERED,98 FRIEGHTSHAKER,an of course 02 3500 'RUNNIN IN THE RED'..ENGINE BUILT BY WOODRUFF DIESEL,DRIVE TRAIN DONE BY BURTON CHASSIS,PUMP BY COLUMBUS DIESEL

Last edited by wanabsledpuller; 10-06-2009 at 09:47 PM. Reason: turbos

Old 10-06-2009, 11:05 PM   #14
nwpadmax

Name: nwpadmax
Title: Turbo Geek
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickFPP View Post
that is the question that has been posed to me.

lets say USA-EAST permitted a ROCKWELL rear-end in the Pro Stock Diesel class (in order to save breakage issues and additional cost issues).

is this possible without going to the open driveline.

your thoughts are important....

Rick, I was talking to Gene a while back and he said that one concept that has been suggested before is to make a several year progression toward open driveline by first allowing the non-OEM axles first and then a year later allow the drop boxes and the rest.

This would allow some folks to work into it instead of just jumping off a cliff. For example it would allow Scott Blair back in the class (unless he changes his current setup over the winter).

John mentions the gearing issues and really that extends to both Dodge and GM. If you go Rockwell F106 then you'll really be wanting the drop box to get a decent set of ratios. For the Dmax this would necessitate taking out the whole front suspension and driveline and putting a solid axle up there. This is fairly popular with the offroad guys but it is a big project and is fairly expensive. A lot of Dmax guys would see that as a "point of no return" because you're cutting some stuff off the chassis to do it.

IMO PSD needs to head to open driveline IF you are going to keep it unlimited single turbos.

If you were going to go the other way and start limiting the charger to 3" or whatever, then stock driveline with expensive guts will probably work as it has been.

IF PSD goes open driveline then I'm out of it for a couple years minimum for cost reasons.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:53 PM   #15
wanabsledpuller

Member`s Gallery
cooper,have you ever watched a true 3.0 truck,they prolly would put a hurt'n on me,they are extremly tough trucks,look at the indiana an IL,trucks,there as tough as the mods,no you will not have a dana80 hold up there buddy,make it just as the rest of the world an noone gets hurt,come an play with your chevy,if you can't keep up,put a cummins in it,then lookout,your gona havto learn how to drive,.....you won't know how to handle all that POWER,GRRRR
06CHEVY 2500HD DMAX,05 3500 DODGE CUMMINS 6WHEELER,09 5500 DAULLY,CUMMINS POWERED,98 FRIEGHTSHAKER,an of course 02 3500 'RUNNIN IN THE RED'..ENGINE BUILT BY WOODRUFF DIESEL,DRIVE TRAIN DONE BY BURTON CHASSIS,PUMP BY COLUMBUS DIESEL

Old 10-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #16
Turbo Performance

Name: Turbo Performance
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanabsledpuller View Post
cooper,have you ever watched a true 3.0 truck,they prolly would put a hurt'n on me,they are extremly tough trucks,look at the indiana an IL,trucks,there as tough as the mods,no you will not have a dana80 hold up there buddy,make it just as the rest of the world an noone gets hurt,come an play with your chevy,if you can't keep up,put a cummins in it,then lookout,your gona havto learn how to drive,.....you won't know how to handle all that POWER,GRRRR
How does putting a Cummins in a GM solve front end issues?
Turbo/Manifold/Hotpipe Blankets

Old 10-07-2009, 07:50 PM   #17
rawdog

Member`s Gallery
better question was that english?lol

Old 10-07-2009, 09:19 PM   #18
wanabsledpuller

Member`s Gallery
okay,since when do IDAHO BOYS COME PULL WITH USAEAST............,THATS WHAT I THOT,.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:20 AM   #19
Turbo Performance

Name: Turbo Performance
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
okay,since when do IDAHO BOYS COME PULL WITH USAEAST............,THATS WHAT I THOT,.
I was just asking a simple question, or what I thought was simple. Don't get a headache trying to work it out.
Turbo/Manifold/Hotpipe Blankets

Old 10-08-2009, 10:58 AM   #20
LReiff

Name: LReiff
Title: The Antistock
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Apparently you never met Levi! You need to ease up a little...he builds some very good turbo blankets...you my need one to stay ahead of them duramaxxxesxxxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually
If anyone thinks the internet is serious they should seriously log off and burn their laptop.

Closed Thread