Secrets of the Clay...

Amish Elegance

Schadenfreude
First off, I love this forum. I hope to learn some detail secrets that'll make it more rewarding for my aching arms. Help me gods of Glaze. :bow: But I digress....

Alright fellers, its time for some buggy waxin. Lookin close at the paint I can see all sorts of little crap stuck to the surface. Its been too long, clay Bar time. Right? I started workin on the tailgate and was less than impressed with the results.

The bar pooed all over everything! :doh: It took a microfiber towel and more detail spray just to get the clay poo off. I thought I shot the snot thick enough to keep the bar lubricated. (FYI, its a mothers kit) It picked up most of it, but after I polished the gate you could still see a few imperfections. Screw it! I threw a coat of wax on her, smacked her on the ass, and threw her in the garage. Help!

I have a ritual where every saturday morning weather allows I'm up early, and as soon as I start my second cup of joe I'm out washin the truck. Not so regular with the waxing, though. Shoot it with some detail spray and thats the usual. Waxin, not so mutch. I've only found one detail guy that does a good enough job for the money, now he's closed. :banghead:

Help me fellers, what should I use? I've found some Glaze, that does a pretty good job of pullin crap off, Wizards. My FIL took it. :huh:: I'm out.

Do I Clay, Glaze, Both, or just shut up and pay someone? I'd like to fire up the ole generator and use a buffer, but I'm smart enough to know that I'd muck that up like goat puke quick. Still like to learn though.

So, how do I get that crap off?:bang

LOL...Well, two things come to mind here with the clay:
1) not enough lubricant or 2) way too much pressure on the clay bar....or maybe both.
I have never tried mother's clay system before. You mention that you had wizard's polish in the past..Well, their clay works very well along with the mist n shine detail spray for lubricant....I have been using Martin-Senour's clay part number 7262 with the mist-n-shine lately with equally good results.
Make sure your surface is cool to the touch before you do any detailing work. If that gate was hot, that will make the clay stick to the surface.
also, don't apply a lot of pressure to the clay when you use it..The clay does the work and doesn't need 200 lbs of gorilla leaning on it..(this will also cause clay streaks)
Wizard polish works fine in my opinion. Not a long lasting polish by any stretch of the imagination, but it is better than nothing.
I prefer Meguiar's gold class in PASTE form...(the liquid is garbage) but that's just me..

-Scott

There is a fella here that sells paint (Andy).... he can help.:rockwoot: However, I doubt you'll not see him post until next week.

....a good compound will get the little imperfections out....dont rub too hard......and two coats of liqiud glass wax.....absolutly the best stuff ive found....shines like nothing else

Back