Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Audio, Video, Lighting
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 11:02 PM   #1
russcone

Name: russcone
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
tuning/wiring my setup

okay i sold my 03 a couple of weeks ago and finally had the chance to wire up my system. my old truck i built a non divided, ported console box from the floor up the back seat. this new 06 i ended up building a box under the seat for the same subs. i raised the seats 3/4" and fiber glassed a mold of the rear pockets. the box is undivided just to see what it would sound like.
Click the image to open in full size.
the subs are 2-12" pioneer premier champion series. powering everything i have a 4g power wire going to a stinger battery.
Click the image to open in full size.
from the stinger i have a 4g wire going to a kenwood (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...KAC-X811D.html) to push the subs.
then i have a 8g power wire from the stinger battery to a lightning audio (http://www.lightningaudio.com/produc...s=discontinued) running my door speakers. i have them wired from the main harness behind my double din to the amp.
i am no audio expert by no means and have done everything 100% myself. im not good with the ohms and whatnot, just messing with things till its sounds good (to me at least).my questions are how should i wire the subs from the amp to the subs? also any tips for tuning them? and should i do anything to the box, port it, divide it, divide it and port it?

Old 08-11-2014, 01:51 PM   #2
murphy41

Name: murphy41
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Divided and ported. Find out what the cubic airspace those subs were designed to be in. And replicate.
Manning Motorsports
Outlaw Diesel Performance (Utah)
AT Performance Diesel

Old 08-11-2014, 02:38 PM   #3
russcone

Member`s Gallery
I ended up wiring them since they are both dual 2ohm sub's to 2ohm impedance (I think that's how you say it)
Also on the sub's recommended air space and go from there.
Also is that any advantage running the stinger battery vs a 500k compacitor?

Old 08-11-2014, 02:47 PM   #4
murphy41

Name: murphy41
Member`s Gallery
Even with good batteries I usually run a cap anyway. Just helps keep consistant power at the amp. Specially while driving.
Manning Motorsports
Outlaw Diesel Performance (Utah)
AT Performance Diesel

Old 08-11-2014, 02:50 PM   #5
russcone

Member`s Gallery
Well i actually have a cap hooked up now but the screw in piece is almost stripped so I went by our stereo place in town and they sold me this stinger battery. They told me that they stopped using caps and started using these that its better...?

Old 08-11-2014, 02:51 PM   #6
russcone

Member`s Gallery
I've just always used caps

Old 08-11-2014, 05:14 PM   #7
CHEMMINS

Name: CHEMMINS
Member`s Gallery
Well if you have dual 2 subs you can wire them in multiple different configurations depending on the amp that is driving them.

The batt is a nice add on if put inline with the others. Cap is only good for smoothing out any ripples as it discharges instantly and recharges as well so it is still a draw on the electrical. A HO alt and a pair of good AGM batts is always best.

Make sure you have good grounds as well. I like to go back to the batts from the amp.

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Ben Franklin

Old 11-03-2014, 12:29 AM   #8
Fummins 6.0

Name: Fummins 6.0
Member`s Gallery
make sure your low pass filter or (LPF) on the sup amp is on, its a class D amp so it might not even have a on off switch.... set the Hz to 100. adjust 10 Hz at a time + or - until you get what you like ... go to amp running door speakers make sure youre running a HPF or (high pass filter) set it at 120 and adjust + or - 10 hertz until you like it. make sure before tuning.... you set the head unit EQ to whatever you like..... but the bass (+3 or +6 ) and treble (+2 or +6) or whatever they are always left on turn them to 0. those are fine tuning adjustments. ALWAYS separate subs in the same box...... they should never share air space.... ported makes subs sound louder and deeper than they really are, but make the sound "sluggish" or "muddy" in some cases. sealed gives a very quick kick and response time. but doesn't always give you that extra "umph" people are looking for .
rules of thumb.....
don't port 15" inch subs unless they are designed.
ported boxes work good with rap, techno, pop, and any digital drums/ bass
ported boxes typically do not perform as well with Jazz, classic rock, rock, country.

are you sure they are not " dual voice coil 4 ohm speakers........ making them 2 ohms total?

Closed Thread