launch question...1.83 60ft to soft?

06towrig

my dodge weighs 7280lbs and im leaving the line at 20psi. ive been looking at other people's time slips with roughly the same weight trucks and their 60ft times are in the 1.7X to 1.6X. should i be launching harder? i broke my first billet opie shaft and do not want to do the same to my new tcs aermet shaft. what do you guys think? should i bump up to a 25psi launch or is that shock loading it too hard?

here is a pic of my time sheet.
any advise would help. also i dont think im having traction issues, so im not counting that as a factor.

photo_zpsd4a96827.jpg

Last edited:
What size tires and what gearing? That trap speed seems low to me too. How much power are you putting to the ground?

I dont think you have to worry about breaking the TCS shaft. I talked to Phil Taylor this past weekend and he has almost 3 yrs on his aermet shaft. 1.36 60's

I'd bet at 25psi you will have traction issues.

little more info on the truck? tire setup? converter stall?

cutting a 1.6 at 7200lbs takes power, more power than 12.2 et's I'd guess.

What size tires and what gearing? That trap speed seems low to me too. How much power are you putting to the ground?

Trap speeds seem low???? I go low 11.60's with a trap speed of 116! I would say given what tire you are running leave as hard as you can until you spin and then either adjust air pressure/ suspension or dial back the boost on take off until you hook.

My 09 is 7140lbs and will cut low 1.7s pretty consistently and has cut a few 1.6s, it is stock except for tune, lift pump and DPF delete. Are you spinning off the line?

638384FE-DCFB-464A-B039-CBC28D3301C5_zpsq7bdtq2a.jpg

0F87ADA5-18E5-4B5A-83B4-08C1FAB276B1_zps3m0a2pzn.jpg

FC809081-5F2A-4B86-8EEA-55E65B90A835_zpsvckgfajr.jpg

Last edited:
Trap speeds seem low???? I go low 11.60's with a trap speed of 116! I would say given what tire you are running leave as hard as you can until you spin and then either adjust air pressure/ suspension or dial back the boost on take off until you hook.

Yeah i realized that! I was looking at the 1000ft mph on accident!! :bang

took it out again last night.... tires are 305's nitto terra grapplers. gears are 3.73 i believe, lowstall coverter cast borge stator. i dropped the tires down to 27psi and was launching between 20-25psi... 20 psi they dont spin and i get 1.8, 25 psi they spin but i still get a little bit faster timea... 1.79 is my best 60ft so far... here are the new times.

E6E5F4B0-E416-492C-8CDC-A567481F32CC_zps3wfjsbii.jpg

dont mind the reaction time... im trying to dial my setup in not bracket race.

Last edited:
With those heavy tires and the fact you havent done anything to your suspension (better shocks, traction bars/clamp springs), you should be very happy to be hitting 1.8s. Heck of an ET and mph. Congrats on that.

at that power level, 60ft should be 1.6 at minimum . something in your setup isn't jiving, possibly converter stall. I always figure out the limits by going lower in the tire pressure than I think I should, and continue launching harder and harder til it spins or hops. then I back it down a tiny bit. I certainly wouldn't choose those tires as a strip tire. I'd look for a nitto 420s and yank the leveling kit. congrats on a fast truck though !

Back