Results from BSTP spring meeting - PPL sneak attack on the Duramax

WI Huck

Where does the time go?
Yesterday was the spring meeting for the Badger State Tractor Pullers. PPL made a big deal of not allowing two piece cylinder heads for the Duramax engines. This was news to me! After talking with my engine builder I found out that my setup for this year does use the two piece design and we are now screwed. After trying to be competitive power wise and having problems year after year with failing heads, we looked for alternatives to what was available. We ran into problems again early last year at Freeport. Since that pull last July we started over again, and it took from then until recently to get a new motor put together and tested. I am optimistic with the results and was looking forward to finally having a full year of runs. Now just a few weeks before the season opener I find out about a new rule. That is BS! I just don't understand how this two piece rule can be enforced with the rules as written;

2015 Rule Changes
Pro Street Diesel Truck
Page 43 Add 3C. Head must be OEM for that brand engine. Outside of cylinder head must measure factory width and length. Head must retain OEM valve angle. Manifold bolt pattern dimensions must retain stock dimensions.

2015 PPL Rule Book
G-3.0 Diesel 4x4 Truck
3a. Maximum engine size will be 460 cubic inch. Engines must come from factory in one ton or smaller Diesel pickup truck. Engine must remain in stock location as intended by manufacturer. 3b. No aftermarket blocks permitted. 3c. Head must be OEM or OEM replica for that brand engine. Outside of cylinder head must measure factory width and length. Head must retain OEM valve angle.

2016 Rules Changes
Pro-Stock Diesel Trucks
ChangeTurbo- The turbocharger is smooth faced intake housing, limited to a 3.6" inlet, (no map ring) with all air entering through the 3.6" opening. Intake wheel must protrude 1/8th inch inside of opening.
Tires #13 add – 34-18.00-15. Bar & cut tires permitted. Maximum tire size to be 112 circumference, when inflated to 30psi.

2017 Rules Changes
Nothing for Pro-Stock Diesel Trucks​

I don't see anything in these rules that states anything about a two piece head. I spoke with the PPL representative at the meeting and he was basing his argument on "OEM Replica". That is pretty vague. How can you say a Cummins head with the whole intake side cut off for improved air flow be a replica but a Duramax head that is cut in half is not? How does having multiple pieces change anything? To me a replica is having the same vlave train design with the same intake and exhaust design. Something that is not a replica would be taking a Hemi engine head and adapting it to the diesel block. The rules only state that the outside of cylinder head must measure factory width and length, and the head must retain OEM valve angle.

Enjoy the Dodge after Dodge after Dodge show. That is fun. *bdh*

Pardon my high end Duramax ignorance, but are you talking about the steel inserts around the valve area that eliminates the seat dropping issue? It offers no competitive advantage

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Pardon my high end Duramax ignorance, but are you talking about the steel inserts around the valve area that eliminates the seat dropping issue? It offers no competitive advantage

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

No, that is a different head, but technically the steel inserts are a piece that is added to the aluminum casting making that design a two piece head. Those heads were not banned.

Sucks that you now have something that they don't want to allow. But why not just run a set of billet heads. Thanks to ppl billet heads are allowed in 3.6 and 3.0 at least for another year because they suck at rules and didn't do anything the wording.

But I do agree with you, what you have shouldn't be illegal. Just wagler crying because somebody has something out to compete with him. Wasn't this simular thing on kusliecs motor the last year he ran 3.0? Aluminium head with steel insert?

Sorry guess I posted to soon. Either way with the way ppl rules are written now. Anything should be legal with heads except for altering length and width, even though cummins guys have been allowed to do it for years.

Last edited:
Right out of the 2017 rule book

667a9c7a9f4d51c5980e873e51a54d83.jpg

Right out of the 2017 rule book

667a9c7a9f4d51c5980e873e51a54d83.jpg

That's how it should have been written 4 years ago. They we wrote the head rule 3 or so years ago and lots of guys had good input on it and they still chose to write it the way they did. Was a pretty good discussion on here few years ago about it.

That's how it should have been written 4 years ago. They we wrote the head rule 3 or so years ago and lots of guys had good input on it and they still chose to write it the way they did. Was a pretty good discussion on here few years ago about it.

That is not how the rule was written as of 3/10/17, and to change something this big without having it in the rule changes for 2017 is wrong. The rule books pictured above are not even sent out yet. How are we supposed to follow rules we don't know about? The rule as written in the 2017 book should not be enforced until next year 2018.

For a cummins to be a "OEM Replica" they would have to have the shelf on them to be of true size and shape of OEM! The shelf is part of the head... so if you remove that and make it bolt on, it becomes a 2 piece head!...

That is not how the rule was written as of 3/10/17, and to change something this big without having it in the rule changes for 2017 is wrong. The rule books pictured above are not even sent out yet. How are we supposed to follow rules we don't know about? The rule as written in the 2017 book should not be enforced until next year 2018.

there are cummins heads available that are 7/8'' taller then oem, i believe one of them was on a truck that hooked a couple times with bstp last summer. as for your concern, if its not noticable from the exterior. fkn run them. IF you start beating everyone and get protested, then so be it. truck numbers dont sound to be an issue for that class this season.

Last edited:

Don't shoot the messenger. It was written in December.

It could of been written whenever. If it isn't published it is not in effect. This whole thing is stupid. If the goal is to make everything equal for all competitors then who cares what your head is. The cubic inches of the engine is limited and the turbo size is limited. That's it. The Cummins guys are allowed modifications to maximize airflow so should everyone else. This new head is designed to give the Duramax much needed reliability at the power level of the turbo size. Period.

About the only thing you can do is see if Badger State would allow you to run them. But I know they're not permitted at PPL pulls. The sad part is, the builder of the head knew they were not ppl legal as of about June of 2016.

The good thing is that the Badger State Tractor Pullers is an outstanding club and the other pullers in my class are fair and see my point. I will be able to run my heads for 2017 and we will bring it up for the next season. The Lucas Oil Pro Pulling League is supposed to be the national standard, which it is. Sometimes that is hard to remember and stupid stuff like this happens and it looks more like a local brush pulling club where politics gets in the way. Just because a rule is discussed in one place in the country doesn't mean others in a different part of the country are aware of that conversation. There were no changes in the 2017 rule changes for our class. Dropping a major change at the last minute is wrong. I just want to shine the light on the error and keep PPL what it should be.

The good thing is that the Badger State Tractor Pullers is an outstanding club and the other pullers in my class are fair and see my point. I will be able to run my heads for 2017 and we will bring it up for the next season. The Lucas Oil Pro Pulling League is supposed to be the national standard, which it is. Sometimes that is hard to remember and stupid stuff like this happens and it looks more like a local brush pulling club where politics gets in the way. Just because a rule is discussed in one place in the country doesn't mean others in a different part of the country are aware of that conversation. There were no changes in the 2017 rule changes for our class. Dropping a major change at the last minute is wrong. I just want to shine the light on the error and keep PPL what it should be.

Badger State Tractor Puller should be proud of what they did here! All pulling leagues should take note of this and follow suit.

About the only thing you can do is see if Badger State would allow you to run them. But I know they're not permitted at PPL pulls. The sad part is, the builder of the head knew they were not ppl legal as of about June of 2016.

Actually we did not know this. The problem is that this was supposed to be worked on over the fall with us involved. As well as other manufacturers. What happened was a very closed meeting. And if a decision was made in Dec. Then it should have been posted then, not in the spring.

Here are the facts:
Other heads that are 5-8 pieces are being used. (Wagler Aluminum Heads with steel or ductile iron inserts. And yes that is more than one.) They just eliminated those heads from competition. And if you come back with that is the seat, I have a patent that says other wise. And also in regards to that. Our valves ride on the bottom part of head too with out the traditional seat. So I guess ours would also be the seat too if you want to play that game.

Replica - Are any of the aftermarket heads perfect replicas of the original. No.

So here is why our heads meet the 2016 rule.

1.) Head is factory Length
2.) Head is factory Width
3.) Head is factory Height
4.) Uses stock valve cover
5.) Uses stock Injector Body
6.) Can bolt stock accessories on such as alternator, and steering pump
7.) Can be produced with water jackets and used on a stock truck.
8.) Utilizes stock intake, and exhaust manifold bolt patterns.
9.) Material is cast ductile iron
10.) The heads visually resembles the factory heads.
11.) Retains OEM valve angle.

Here the 2015 and 2016 rules state: 8A. Cylinder head must be OEM or OEM replica for that brand engine. Outside of cylinder head must measure factory width, and length. Head must retain OEM valve angle.

2017 rule: b. Head must be OEM or OEM one piece cast replica for that brand engine. No billet heads of any material. Outside dimensions of cylinder head must measure factory width and length. Head must retain OEM valve angle. Yes this rule is being made to eliminate our head from competition, but it just eliminated a lot more than ours too. If you want fair and consistent easy to understand rules, we can have that. This isn't it, and it not will keep cost down.

No where in the rules did it state you even have to have a cast head in 2015/2016, but we still did use a cast material. No where did it state it could not be made of more than 1 piece in 2015/2016. No where in any of the rules does it state the process to be used to make the cylinder head.

Yet there is one thing completely missing from leveling the playing field, and actually keeping things in check. Maximum Height.

Here are some more facts for everyone to consider.

At the end of 2015 customers of ours brought to our attention the problems they were having with the durability of their cylinder heads. This was causing them to miss a significant amount of pulls, and eat into their daily work schedules for repairs. We knew from our experience that the material and manufacturing process need to be changed to be able to take the heating and cooling that was causing the problems. So we looked over the application, and cost constraints. We also look over the rules in both PPL and NTPA organizations.

So next we looked at the current product offering in all of pulling. Stock filled heads were costing pullers $5500 - $8000, and not very durable. Current aftermarket Duramax heads ported, and ready for a pull truck were $8600.00. Aftermarket tractor heads that are cast are in a price range from $10,000.00 - $12,000.00. We felt that the $10,500.00 for Duramax and $8250 for Cummins would be an acceptable price if we produced a durable product. We knew we could do that based on the heads we had built for tractors using the same method. The tractor heads had 16 years of service on them at this time. So really a possible cost of $656.25 dollar per year, and maybe even better given that most of those head would continue to be used. The current cost of the current products offered at that time ranged anywhere from $4300 - $8600/ year. This didn't even count other damaged parts that could come from failed heads, as well as labor time to fix the engines. Quite a cost savings could be had with our design. This also meant we could keep trucks on the track too. A win for the pullers, and a win for the pulling leagues.

So why two pieces. Well in order to keep initial costs low we needed to use existing equipment, and that meant we needed to produce the cylinder heads on a 4 axis vertical machining center. Because the Duramax has a complex port that turn almost 90 degrees the port could not be finished machined on a 4th axis machine. It would require a 5th axis machine, at a cost of $350,000.00. So we proceeded to engineer the head so we had access to machine the ports with the current machine. Another value of the two piece design for the puller was that if the seat area or deck of the head was to ever become damaged, we could replace it with a new bottom for a very significant cost savings.

Besides the rules we also looked at other available products at that time that were currently being used.
1.) Wagler aluminum cast with ductile iron pieces (8) inserted into the cylinder head. The ductile iron pieces make the head more than one piece. The ductile piece replaces part of the port, the combustion face, and injector pocket. So not an identical replica, but none the less was legal, and currently being used. Now per 2017 rules this head would be illegal, and cause many pullers to spend more money converting CAST cylinder heads.
2.) Hamilton Original 12v Cummins cylinder head. This head was cast one piece and fit the rules. This is pretty close to a replica. A few visual features can be distinguished between stock, but to me looked legal, and was legal.
3.) Hamilton new War Head. Visually less like stock. The head is taller than stock. Not an identical replica. Legal to be used. So with all this information and precedent set by the league we feel our head conformed to the 2016 rules.
4.) There are also some Wagler heads that are taller as well. Currenty being tested.

So what where the results of using this cylinder head in 2016.

In 2016 the heads were were installed on the John Humpe's Trouble Maker Truck. We started out by rigorously testing the engine on the dyno. We made a total of 50 dyno runs on the engine. We then knew the head was going to be durable. John then competed on the Ohio State PPL circuit. He earned a second place points finish. Below are the placing for Josh Bowers first place points finish and Johns Humpe's Second Place Points finish.

Date John Humpe - Josh Bowers

6-11-16 7th - 2nd
7-2-16 1st - 2nd
7-3-16 16th - 5th
7-17-16 10th - 1st
7-22-16 7th - 1st
7-23-16 1st - DNR
7-30-16 10th - 3rd
7-31-16 9th - 4th
8-4-16 6th - 2nd
8-5-16 7th - 2nd
8-6-16 3rd - 2nd
8-9-16 4th - 2nd
8-17-16 2nd - 3rd
9-3-16 12th - 2nd
9-14-16 8th - 1st
10-4-16 2nd - 1st

So comparing final points without drops, Josh Bowers had total points of 485, and missed 1 pull. John in 2nd place had 468 points, and made all the pulls. John was one of three trucks to make all pulls, and I believe he was the only Duramax to make all pulls. 15 Total hooks. Reviewing the results one could say John Humpe was competitive, and by not missing any hooks, it helped him secure a 2nd place finish. But he was far from dominating the class. In fact Josh Bowers results show that he dominated the class.

John Humpe also competed at pulls other than PPL for a total of 50 hooks. This combined with the 50 dyno passes, this was like having 2 seasons on the engine. The heads required zero maintenance, and the engine also had no maintenance as well. That was a big improvement over previous years.

John Mears has told me this. PPL wants to keep trucks on the track at a reasonable cost. They also do not want to turn the heads into the next turbo problem. So I will address this.

1.) Keeping Trucks on the track. John Humpe had zero missed pulls, he had zero engine problems. Johns engine made 100 total runs. That is incredible. Also the head has been checked over, and is ready to go. Zero Maintenance.

2.) Cost. As referenced before, our yearly cost is very low, and if you consider John Humpe's engine made 100 passes the per hook cost to date is $105.00. Before that the per pass hook was $533.00 plus maintenance, and that was if the puller could make 15 hooks. We reduced the per hook by 5 times.

3.) Escalation of a head war. So what will allow a cylinder head to make more horse power. We all could agree that if a head makes a significant amount more CFM ( amount of air the head can flow) with enough fuel, and enough air from the turbo, then horse power will be gained. So what allows a cylinder head to have more CFM. Larger valves, Longer Head, and a Taller head. So once again here are the rules. 2015/2016 - 8A. Cylinder head must be OEM or OEM replica for that brand engine. Outside of cylinder head must measure factory width, and length. Head must retain OEM valve angle. 2017: b. Head must be OEM or OEM one piece cast replica for that brand engine. No billet heads of any material. Outside dimensions of cylinder head must measure factory width and length. Head must retain OEM valve angle.

How do these rules limit the class and promote what PPL wants?

1.) The rules do not limit valves size. But this is limited by the engine blocks bore, and the fact that the OEM engine block must be used. It also is limited by the cubic inch rule. The cubic rule thus limits the bore and stroke sizes that can be combined to make maximum cubic inch. This keeps the valve size within the constraints that are wanted.
2.) The rule limits the length of the head. This dimension helps, but this part of the head was already limited by having to use the OEM bolt patterns to mount to the OEM block. The location of the injector holes, and pushrod holes also limit the size and shape of the ports because we do not want to intersect them, and by design they can’t be moved.
3.) Cylinder Head Height: The rules do not limit cylinder head height. This is one of the dimensions of the cylinder head that can have the biggest impact on cylinder head CFM. As the head is taller the ports can be raised, allowing for a longer radius entering the valve seat area. Doing this can significantly improve CFM. Yet the rule doesn't address this. As the heads are made taller and taller we will see a race to obtain the most flow in an attempt to have the most horse power. This increases the cost through continuous purchasing of new better flowing heads. So far not many heads have pushed this , but it has started with the Hamilton War Head. The casting is taller, and the ports are noticeably raise up. This head is currently approved.

So how else does the rules though written word and interpretation try to control performance, and cost. It tries by dictating material, and manufacturing process. Neither of which are easy to enforce, and neither of these things help improve horse power levels, and control costs. In fact this part of the rule is costing pullers money. The materials manufacturers are held to, such as castings specifically from core boxes (even though not required in the written rules, but interpreted by some this way) are inherently weaker, and eventually will crack regardless of the grade, and material. The material has no specific link to head performance. It only is linked to durability. But materials are linked to costs. Most materials are significantly similar in cost with the exception of exotic alloys like titanium. With titanium as an example, this material would be expensive even for the weight savings being weight is not an issue, and that titanium would not be great for heat that the cylinder head will be subject to. So it is a poor choice. It virtually eliminated itself. Most material that work great for cylinder heads are low cost. So as you can see material really doesn't matter when it comes to controlling cost and performance. Only durability.

Process: Process of manufacturing also has zero effect on performance. A cylinder head cast from a core box can be as tall, wide, and long as needed or wanted to be. It also can have simple to very complex port designs. On the opposite end of the spectrum for example, big bad scary billet, can have only the same level of design as a casting. Especially if we put constraints on dimensions. It can't do anything more than the casting in performance. This is determined by head length, and height. Both processes culminate at the same performance level, and have zero advantage over each other. Performance is only tied to physical dimensions. Process however is tied to durability. Core box castings are inherently weak, where as forgings are stronger. Also casting a solid piece, then machining that piece is also much stronger.

So to address PPL concerns I have drafted a rule proposal that will help the league and pullers. It also will make the enforcement much easier.

Head Rule: Cylinder head can be OEM or Aftermarket. Cylinder Head must measure factory length +.0625, and factory width +.0625. Cylinder Head must have a maximum height of 4.250 +.0625 inches. Head must retain OEM valve angle. Head must use all stock head bolt hole locations.

The rule is much simpler and clear. It restrains the heads so they can not get out of control, and will make tech and enforcement easier. Obviously open for discussion.

I also have pictures of the different heads including ours.

Attachments

• IMG_2988.jpg
    IMG_2988.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 17202681_1808733412677681_5678219720159529599_n.jpg
    17202681_1808733412677681_5678219720159529599_n.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20170313_135203.jpg
    20170313_135203.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 13988295_1275775445796350_1149433805345383687_o (1).jpg
    13988295_1275775445796350_1149433805345383687_o (1).jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 0
So you're saying after Humpe wasn't permitted to run PPL in 2016, you didn't know your wasn't legal at that time??? I'm not against your head. I almost bought a set of them. I pushed to let Humpe be allowed to run them in Ohio State. But, the 2017 rules state

"Head must be OEM or OEM one piece cast replica for that brand engine. No billet heads of any material. Outside dimensions of cylinder head must measure factory width and length. Head must retain OEM valve angle."

That's PPL rules. Love them or hate them. That's the rules.

They let them run in the first pull at TS, and teched that truck. Only after they went to the competitions pull was it an issue. Ohio state did look at the head and didn't find it a problem according to the 2016 rules, and I know you don't have a problem with it. The fact is it needs to be addressed with everyone involved, and it wasn't. The fact that the rule wasn't changed up until now was also a vote of confidence that the head would meet those rules, and in fact we have proven that. Now that the rule was changed, shows they knew the head met the 2016 rules. Deliberately trying to eliminated it with no real cause, and at the same time they eliminated a good portion of other pullers who use a Wagler aluminum head. So yes this needs to be addressed. I'm not trying push out other vendors, I'm trying to offer a very good product for a reasonable cost. And we can do that for all brands of engines.

Last edited:
I know you don't have an issue with the heads, but being ok with rules that are not bennifiting you is not ok. ( Ones that cost you money to stay competiting.)
Yes that is the rule for 2017 as of March. I get that, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be discussing what can be done better. This isn't just about my company or any single person, it is about fair easy to understand impartial rules, and not pulling the rug out from under people. But working with them to improve. That is it.

Last edited:
Back