p-pump 24 in progress need some input

Man, I'd love to see a bigger picture of those lines. Glad you were able to make them work!!

Here's a somewhat better pic.

They still need to be coated or painted but for the $ they are what they are.

IMG_0077.jpg

Unfortunatlly the truck has 290k miles off wear and tear. Im going to transplant this motor into a 3rd gen. 1500 in the future.

Jamie that thing looks good. I like the idea of savin some green, i guess the lines are thick enough if you bend slow they wont kink. I'm new to the diesel stuff and i've been told that i'm crazy for doing this but i love this stuff.[Any help i can get is greatly appreciated!!! I hear talk about the cam gear backing off, what kind of hp were those guys making. The reason i ask is if i don't need a cam i'd rather not buy one[savin some green] for now anyway.

I have a Helix 2 out of my 02 its a year old about 5000 miles and 25 hooks with it has the bolt on gear and the lobe for the 12valve lift pump. It was a great cam im just going billet for the higher rpms (sled pulling) with my P pump swap. PM me if your interested

Jamie that thing looks good. I like the idea of savin some green, i guess the lines are thick enough if you bend slow they wont kink. I'm new to the diesel stuff and i've been told that i'm crazy for doing this but i love this stuff.[Any help i can get is greatly appreciated!!! I hear talk about the cam gear backing off, what kind of hp were those guys making. The reason i ask is if i don't need a cam i'd rather not buy one[savin some green] for now anyway.

Its not really a question of needing a cam to make more horses, although they do, they are mainly from my understanding to lower egt's to push more fuel. If I remember from your previous post you're looking to get 500 or 550, I would say that you don't need a cam to make that kind of power, and you can always upgrade later, on. Once you've done the conversion, you'll know how to take it apart and put it all back together anyways.

You 're prolly right about needing the cam now and pending on price i may not do it now. How long does it take to do a cam swap? Can you tell me about the [rods] that hold the tappets up in order to get the cam out? This is my daily driver and i'm thinking it will help me but, I do tow a bobcat and farm equipment 8-10 times a month will the cam help or hurt me. Thanks , Stephen

The rods that holds up the tappets are a dowel rod from Home Depot or Lowes. It is either 3/8" or 1/2". I think I went with the 1/2" and had to bevel the ends for a snug fit.

Cam install can be done in about a day. Depending how good you are with a wrench and how many beers are left.

Once the dowls are in place you need to use rubber bands or zip ties to hold the dowls up (pinch them) and prevent the dowls from dropping back down.

Truckp7100014.jpg

Thanks again Jamie, and pig that thing looks good !! What kind of mpg's am i lookin at with 500 hp with this pump? Thanks agian guys

Back