Shop Truck

I bought this turbocharger off PDD. Will and Todd helped me with the cost. This is a Garrett/Honeywell GTX5533 Super Core, 98mm Inducer, and the Stainless V-band exhaust housing.

This turbo is 2.2lbs lighter because of the exhaust housing.

Garrett_55.jpg

Garrett_55_3.jpg

Garrett_55_4.jpg

OK air experts. We need to push enough air volume to support 3000HP. PDD had two of these as atmospheric turbos on their UCC2017 truck. That Todd is slick when it comes to choosing turbos. I would like to add another one of these as well but I'm not sure it is necessary. Literature said it would support up to 2500HP on it's own.

I have about 3 Billet wheel S-480's now. Two are runnable and the third just needs a new compressor wheel. Would one of these work for the manifold charger?

Plans are to run this Garrett as a single on the street and MRA Transformation.

Please, give me your thoughts.

Why not hit the dyno and find out what it takes? You seem to be overthinking a lot of this

I'm listening. So the consensus is to make 1500HP and act responsibly?? How much fun is that?? lol

1500HP ain't gonna get it done this year. Yea Haw for all the guys that done well with that kinda power last year. Gonna need more this year. Bottom line.

Suppose I have to let the turbos go due to money, I have 480's and this garrett, what kinda power can I make??

Besides, this may be my only chance to do this. I want to make it count.

Why not hit the dyno and find out what it takes? You seem to be overthinking a lot of this

Probably right there. I am bad about that overthinking thing. I have had too much keyboard time and not enough shop time.

How many lbs/min does that turbo flow?

Those 98mm GTX's flow 230 lbs/min. Last year Armor Inc who finished top 5 by the way, ran one of those compounded with another slightly smaller Garrett ball bearing turbo.

Arch, I think you'd do fine using the GTX5533 in a compound setup pared with one of your S480's. The biggest issue is keeping the thrust bearing alive in the S480 and that's why many run a ball bearing high pressure charger when pushing the limits powerwise. That GTX5533 in a compound setup mixed with a few hundred HP worth of spray will 1600+ on the UCC dyno and could be sprayed to 2000HP if you get the gating and nitrous delivery tuned correctly to keep everything alive.

If you're considering triples, your S480's flow anywhere from 120 to 130 lbs per minute max so two of them feeding your GTX5533 on the manifold would be a mis-match. You want at least 1.5x the mass air flow from the low pressure charger(s) feeding the high pressure charger, otherwise the pumping losses and general inefficiency of the system negate the airflow gain and you'd be better off running as a single charger.

But seriously, watch all the performances from Armor Inc. last year using a large compound turbo setup with a GTX5533 and it might change your perspective on how big you need to go, especially if you come in at the 4500 lb weight limit vs 5500+ that Armor's truck weighs.

I hadn't looked at this for a while, but on the subject of independent front diff, proformance pros (spelling is correct there) sells a 11.5 independent diff for the front that they have run in super stock chassis'. It's a little pricey but really strong. Also, since "there's no rules!" I would build a 1500hp fuel only engine/turbo setup, that should be durable and go some rounds, then make up the extra ground on the strip with a few stages of gated nitrous. Milliken goes real fast on a single 88 gt55 and tuned nitrous. 2400hp is all the dyno will hold, and a 1300hp truck that hooks will win the sled pull.

Shazam

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replies from everyone. Keep them coming, I am learning.

Seemed to have resolved my transmission issues yesterday. This will give me the time to focus on other things. lol

Anyone in the hunt for B&J Transmission stuff. I have a whole truck load of parts and transmissions for sale. Probably set you up with a pretty cheap clutch as well.

Monster power takes monster airflow and, in this case, the Scheid dragster definitely doesn’t disappoint. The high-pressure (manifold) turbocharger is an 88mm Precision unit, while the larger charger is a Holset HX82 that houses a 114mm billet wheel from Precision Turbo. The two chargers combine to produce a whopping 140psi–kept in check by a 66mm Precision Turbo wastegate–all the way up to the engine’s 6,000rpm redline.

Taken from this: Worlds Quickest Diesel: The 6.31-second, 226mph, 2,500-Horsepower Scheid Dragster

Written by our own JQMiley.

Heck yea I'd rather go compounds. Less weight, plumbing, headaches, etc... Looks like Dan knows how to get it done.

Thanks for the info on the front end Pudge. I don't want that in there drag racing. That thing is huge. lol ...now pulling for sure.

Would any of you all know if the duramax front diff was special or the same diff all the 3/4 -1 ton trucks received?

Wanted to jump on hear and give an update. I've been working more and more. Changed out some Dayton 24.5's about four days ago. Definitely found my limits again and am resting. No major damage just some pain. Lol

Anyhow, Will Terry called a day or two ago and has sold my first "SRS Signature Series" 4" Shocker pass valve. Thanks Will. Also, probably just our internet provider, but, every time I try to get on the PDD web site, it locks up the 'ol desk top.

Will also guessed my ultimate callout challenge 'Secret Build'. Yep, only the wife and I had discussed this. ...kinda spooky. lol

We don't have the money to go through with it this year so the "Transformer Shop Truck" will still be our entry.

Anyhow, this is what I had planned. A 'Larry Larson' type Ram50 powered by the billet water block and Hamilton head. Dana 35 aluminum independent front, custom billet outers with struts, still want to sand/mud drag. My wife has agreed to do drag week with me one of these days.

Everyone will argue you wouldn't be able to pull with it "Tube-Frame" and all. Heck, Wagler has been doing it since the get go.

Anyhow, maybe someday and I have never been the real secretive type.

Hear are my plans for the "Transformer Shop Truck":

Will be lucky to go mid 8's with this brick. I have been studying coefficient of drag and the force it applies to an object. The fellas running the full size trucks now at these speeds are overcoming a tremendous force.

We need to be as low to the ground as possible. I have found and secured a 3/4 ton chevy aluminum diff. I have all the brakes and what not off the Toyota axle out from under Bodacious. So to save a little money, we will be using Toyota independent outers. This will give us the bonus to unlock the hubs just like a solid axle. A factory type front suspension will have to be mimicked to satisfy the MRA.

The 9" will also be used from Bodacious. It was a new Moser housing after the crash. Need to find the stubborn leak?? It is already set up and I believe it is strong enough. 40 spline gun drilled axles long enough to provide extra deflection, all aluminum through bolt moser center section. I will be bracing the housing as I install my first set of four link bars.

Just thinking out loud so I can get it down on something. LOL

Going to notch the rear frame rails for clearance. This will go against the MRA rule book. Gonna have to hope for forgiveness here. lol

Transmission will be a "Liberty Gears" something Craig Liberty is working on for me. He is saying something about paddle shifters and all. Not kidding here one bit. lol Five speed with an overdrive sixth. Remember we are nothing more than efficiency experts. This transmission in overdrive should be the $hit.

Going to do a one-off ultimate light weight "stock type" transfer case. If it will hold in the UCC, I can sell them.

Still thinking on a clutch. With the trans I have coming, I can shift while pulling. ...meaning I can start out in a much lower gear. Also need the clutch to survive the 1/4 mile blasts.

The pulling portion is easy. ...at least in my head.

We have the "Smok'n Addiction" Pulling Truck. Which, by the way is a first gen. This matches up frame widths and swapping rears and such. The truck came with a world of knowledge that we can simply slide right on to the "Transformer Shop Truck".

My simple plan so far. Please feel free to critic as you will. I am listening loud and clear on the engine part. I want my other thread to run a while before posting my engine plans.

Since nobody else has responded in the last 7 posts, with little information... I'm gonna suggest massive infusions of cold hard cash money. That ought to get you where you want to be.

Since nobody else has responded in the last 7 posts, with little information... I'm gonna suggest massive infusions of cold hard cash money. That ought to get you where you want to be.

Lol, already did that portion.

lowered.jpg

lowered_2.jpg

lowered_3.jpg

lowered_4.jpg

She still needs to go lower.

Back