Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tractor Performance > General Tractor Performance > IH / Case
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

IH / Case Team Red

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 09:10 AM   #1
RockinRam96

Name: RockinRam96
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
J.I. Case 1175

Can someone school me on a J.I. Case 1175 with a 451 Turbo diesel engine? Looking for performance reliability. We are looking to buy this tractor strictly for pulling (will not be farming). Our local club has begun a 466 "Hot Farm" Class.

Rules are as follows:
-Engines will have a 466 +1% cubic inch limit
-3000 RPM Max—all vehicles are required to have the rpm sensor with plug at rear to tractor so tractor can be hooked to RPM box on pulling sled (There will be a one hook honor system for a new tractor wanting to compete) Rpm may be check at any time before or after hook.
- Tractors will weigh 10,500 lbs. Max, with driver
-Turbo Chargers are limited to a Factory 3LM with no larger than a 2.4 Inlet, No billet wheels allowed
- All manifolds must be OEM unaltered
- No Intercoolers
- "P" pumps are allowed--No billet or sigma pumps
- Diesel Fuel Only
- Water Injection is allowed--(Water with pump lube only)
- No nitrous, propane or other oxygen enhancers allowed
- 20.8-38 or 18.4x42 Max tire size
-20.8 Max tire width
-No cut tires
- Tractors must run a factory frame & fenders
- Tractors must run a factory wide front end
- Front wheels must track within rear wheels
- Front weights may not hang 24" past the furthest most point of the tractor
- Rear weights may not hang past the rearward most point of the rear tires
- All hitches will have a minimum of 3.75"x3" inches opening & rigid in all directions
- Minimum hitch length is 18" from center of rear axle
- Maximum hitch height is 20"
- Tractors must have adequate stopping brakes

My question is what are these motors capable of? I know it already has an A pump on it from the factory, but what about injectors? Are they a unit type injector or a pencil injector? What kind of performance can be gained with the injectors?

Also, school me on the 3LM turbo. Our rules state "Turbo Chargers are limited to a Factory 3LM with no larger than a 2.4 Inlet, No billet wheels allowed." What chargers fit this rule? I see charges that are air research that are 1970s technology that come on an IH 466 then I see a "3LM with Holset center section."

Any insight is appreciated.

Old 01-27-2017, 04:29 PM   #2
J-Pipes

Name: J-Pipes
Member`s Gallery
No useful information, little bit I read on that tractor is they're pretty solid. Rules sound fairly similar to the 3k Rpm classes around here, and I seems like the top guys have well north of $20k in them. Wife's cousin has a 1066, think they put about $10k or so in it last yr alone, did get consistent top 5 to 3 though. Keep us updated on the build!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Old 01-27-2017, 05:37 PM   #3
Signature600

Name: Signature600
Title: THA MAN!
Member`s Gallery
Only limit on the Case parts at normal levels is in the head gaskets. I'm not an authority on them, but they are pretty stout. Big rods in them.

I've sold enough parts for the 426 AC's over the years I know more how they fare...

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Jeff Mumau @ Mumau Diesel Service
Rip @ Source Automotive
Don Thuren @ ThurenFab Suspension
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 01-27-2017, 06:30 PM   #4
J-Pipes

Member`s Gallery
Oh, if you do pursue this tractor, even though it's not correct for the model, if you repaint it, please do a black Knight scheme. I really like those!

Old 01-27-2017, 11:22 PM   #5
mfsuper90

Name: mfsuper90
Title: 300ft is all I need
Member`s Gallery
A friend of mine runs a 504 case in farm stock and it does well, but he is fire ringing the head due to blowing gaskets 24/7
'14 Ram Anarchy EFI, G56

Old 01-28-2017, 06:09 AM   #6
1066smoker

Name: 1066smoker
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
The 3lm is just a larger turbo than the stock on all IH motors, it bolts right in. Nothing real fancy about it but it will make a tick more power than stock. I run one on my 1066.

The 1175 should do well in the class, the 451 is a pretty capable engine. Sounds like a fun class, but the IH 466s and JD 466s are gonna be tough to get around. I know cause I'm trying with something different colored as well in a similar class.

Old 01-28-2017, 08:23 AM   #7
RockinRam96

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Pipes View Post
No useful information, little bit I read on that tractor is they're pretty solid. Rules sound fairly similar to the 3k Rpm classes around here, and I seems like the top guys have well north of $20k in them. Wife's cousin has a 1066, think they put about $10k or so in it last yr alone, did get consistent top 5 to 3 though. Keep us updated on the build!

This class is currently in its infancy. I can see where big money can be spent on these tractors. I am hoping that it takes a couple years to get there so I don't have to spend that kind of money in one season. They ran this class last year and the tractors in the class were no more than a turned up rotoray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature600 View Post
Only limit on the Case parts at normal levels is in the head gaskets. I'm not an authority on them, but they are pretty stout. Big rods in them.

I've sold enough parts for the 426 AC's over the years I know more how they fare...

Chris
Good to know. Thanks! My biggest concern is with bottom end performance parts for a tractor like this. IH and JD stuff is a dime a dozen but are there any performance bottom end stuff for this motor? Knowing that the rods are stout is a relief.

Quote:
Oh, if you do pursue this tractor, even though it's not correct for the model, if you repaint it, please do a black Knight scheme. I really like those!

Pics please! My dad wants to paint it factory scheme. I was think something more along the lines of black and red. Just like my Freightliner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfsuper90 View Post
A friend of mine runs a 504 case in farm stock and it does well, but he is fire ringing the head due to blowing gaskets 24/7
Sounds like fire ringing the heads is the first step! What pump is he running? The factory A pump or a p pump. We would like to get what we can out of the A pump and when the time requires, jump to the p pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1066smoker View Post
The 3lm is just a larger turbo than the stock on all IH motors, it bolts right in. Nothing real fancy about it but it will make a tick more power than stock. I run one on my 1066.

The 1175 should do well in the class, the 451 is a pretty capable engine. Sounds like a fun class, but the IH 466s and JD 466s are gonna be tough to get around. I know cause I'm trying with something different colored as well in a similar class.
Thanks for the 3LM info. I need to get educated on this charge so I can tell what I am looking at/ wanting to buy. I want to push the rules with this tractor, not cheat but be in that gray area.

I know the red and green tractors are going to be hard to get around. but so be it. We cant keep up with the big cube Cummins, Mack or the electronic Cats with our semis but we make consistent, respectable pulls. Which is all we are asking out of this tractor.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:06 AM   #8
J-Pipes

Member`s Gallery
Click the image to open in full size.
Thinking it still look real nice if you did a caseIH red instead of the orange. This class has been around a long time here, another friend of mine had bought a 1066 in pieces with the intent of building for this class, but said that quickly changed when the shopping list past the $10k-$15k range, and that was a good 10 years ago!

Old 01-28-2017, 01:23 PM   #9
RockinRam96

Member`s Gallery
That'll match my Freightliner perfectly. Black and red!

Click the image to open in full size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-28-2017, 05:17 PM   #10
J-Pipes

Member`s Gallery
Yeah, only the "purists" will complain about the paint. I think it'd probably look pretty good matching the truck. Any chance you'd haul the tractor in with the truck, unload/unhook and pull both? That'd be cool to see.

Old 01-28-2017, 07:26 PM   #11
Meyers Farms

Name: Meyers Farms
Member`s Gallery
A tractor Zach?!? I'm surprised but excited at the same time! I have no doubt this tractor will be given great attention based on the progress you've made with your trucks. Unfortunately I don't have any info to offer on the Case powerplant, although a buddy of mine parts/sells/buys case tractors. He has 20 or more of them on his farm as well as countless weights and parts. Should you need anything just let me know. Here is a sample of the hot farm classes we have around here:

9,500LB HOT FARM TRACTORS PREBLE CONTY OHIO FAIR PULL AUGUST 4, 2016 - YouTube

HOT FARM TRACTORS LYNN, INDIANA LYONS CLUB PULL DCTPA SEPT 9, 2016 - YouTube

If you buy this tractor, get a thread posted and keep us updated!

Old 01-28-2017, 08:40 PM   #12
mfsuper90

Member`s Gallery
Rockinram,
He was and is running 9.5mm A-pump by Wimer.
Honestly, I wouldn't mess with the A-pump. I would move straight to a 12mm p-pump. In these turbo and rpm limited classes getting the fuel in the cylinder as quick as possible is crucial (I mean it's always crucial honestly lol)
A-pumps already suffer a shorter stroke than p-pumps and smaller internals. And you will want a pump built to pull 3k rpm so when it hits the end of the track the governor reacts quickly. Simpson water injection would be optimal, but is pretty pricey for the valve and stuff.
Eric brooks in southern Ohio has been running case for years and I'm sure could give you some great intel. I can probably dig up his number if you'd like it.
'14 Ram Anarchy EFI, G56

Old 01-29-2017, 08:19 AM   #13
RockinRam96

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, only the "purists" will complain about the paint. I think it'd probably look pretty good matching the truck. Any chance you'd haul the tractor in with the truck, unload/unhook and pull both? That'd be cool to see.

Absolutely. My dad has a nice hydraulic dove tail trailer that we'd use to haul the tractor with, or I'd like to get a gooseneck. Think a 35' goose neck would be a little easier to get around than his trailer. His trailer is flat black, too...

We like black paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyers Farms View Post
A tractor Zach?!? I'm surprised but excited at the same time! I have no doubt this tractor will be given great attention based on the progress you've made with your trucks. Unfortunately I don't have any info to offer on the Case powerplant, although a buddy of mine parts/sells/buys case tractors. He has 20 or more of them on his farm as well as countless weights and parts. Should you need anything just let me know. Here is a sample of the hot farm classes we have around here:

If you buy this tractor, get a thread posted and keep us updated!

My dad has always wanted a tractor, since he'd go to BG as a little kid. We've talked about it for years, and since our trucks are at a point where we have to spend big money to go any further, why not waste money on a tractor! Ha ha

What you guys have as a hot farm is what our Pro Farm used to be. They let the rules get out of hand and let 640 ci guys come in. Everyone was supposed to be running a box stock GT42. Well you know how that goes without any teching and small class sizes, so the class died out.

Now our club has worked with some of the farm stock pullers to work out a "Hot Farm" class. I think hoping to get it back to the true form of a Pro Farm class (466 ci max, box stock turbo, limited rpm...).

If we get into this class I am going to be stickler about keeping rules simple to keep power down. This can be a great class on a "budget."

Quote:
Rockinram,
He was and is running 9.5mm A-pump by Wimer.
Honestly, I wouldn't mess with the A-pump. I would move straight to a 12mm p-pump. In these turbo and rpm limited classes getting the fuel in the cylinder as quick as possible is crucial (I mean it's always crucial honestly lol)
A-pumps already suffer a shorter stroke than p-pumps and smaller internals. And you will want a pump built to pull 3k rpm so when it hits the end of the track the governor reacts quickly. Simpson water injection would be optimal, but is pretty pricey for the valve and stuff.
Eric brooks in southern Ohio has been running case for years and I'm sure could give you some great intel. I can probably dig up his number if you'd like it.
Thanks for the info on the A pump and P pumps. We would love to go to a p pump but this is really a budget build as much as our semis are. We don't intend or plan on spending a bunch of money at one time. We won't have a class even close to what Myers showed for a couple of years.

When will I need water? I'm thinking with a maxed A and big nozzles I won't need water will I?

These are some of the things I know nothing about...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-29-2017, 09:00 AM   #14
J-Pipes

Member`s Gallery
Here's a video of my wife's cousin, not a good video, but gives a small indication of the class around here. Believe they call it the checked farm class. Our hot farm is pretty much the same as ntpa light pro stock, in fact one of our former hot farm guys took the region 2 ntpa title 2 yrs in a row! Resurrected Harvester 1066 - YouTube

Last edited by J-Pipes; 01-29-2017 at 09:02 AM.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:13 AM   #15
mfsuper90

Member`s Gallery
Find a p7100 off a Cummins and slap on there! That will be light years ahead of a A-pump.

And in my opinion, water is a must. It is a great power adder, but even more important than that, it saves melting pistons. You can run a water setup for much less than $1k. And I truly think it's worth the extra money. Melting pistons gets expensive, fast. With no intercooler there's no way to keep EGTs in check besides drowning it with fuel or injecting water, or both
'14 Ram Anarchy EFI, G56

Old 01-30-2017, 05:50 AM   #16
hotfarm1066

Name: hotfarm1066
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Find a p7100 off a Cummins and slap on there! That will be light years ahead of a A-pump.

And in my opinion, water is a must. It is a great power adder, but even more important than that, it saves melting pistons. You can run a water setup for much less than $1k. And I truly think it's worth the extra money. Melting pistons gets expensive, fast. With no intercooler there's no way to keep EGTs in check besides drowning it with fuel or injecting water, or both
Agreed water is a must, and if you can run a p pump don't waste money on an A pump. You can make them run with P's but get unreliable. Injectors and head gaskets are going to be your biggest problems. Btw in the videos posted above my b tractor got 4th in the first (bent rocker shaft) and won in the second video.

Closed Thread