Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 03-07 3rd Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 08:55 PM   #1
CowboyEdition

Name: CowboyEdition
Title: Because Diesel
Member`s Gallery
2005 Rail Pressure Codea

Hey guys, I'm working on a 2005 CR right now. Just finished overhauling the engine and having some computer problems.

History: Truck came to me not running (injectors removed, etc.) and was programmed with Smarty Jr. Programming g was returned to stock before it came to me. Initially it began eating coolant and suddenly started running rough, hard starting, loping badly when idling cold, white smoke on startup, etc. I compression tested it and #1 had 20lbs so I pulled the engine and tore it down to find the head gasket was blown at number one as well as number 1 compression ring was broken. Injectors were sent in and tested and sure enough number one injector is over fueling and has a high return rate. These are American Eagle stainless body injectors with about 180,000kms on them. Head was gone through at the machine shop and planed. The block was bored .020" over and planed to clean it up as well. Installed Mahle pistons, oem gaskets, ARP 425's, new connector tubes and reinstslled the old injectors for now. New injector is coming to replace #1 but I was hoping to at least get it running, get some heat cycles on it and head retorqued. Every bolt on this engine is torqued to factory spec as per Cummins FSM. This is not my first rebuild.

The engine is currently back in the truck and running. It takes a lot of cranking to get it started and it runs rough when it is idling. It also only runs for 10 minutes before it shuts off for no apparent reason.

Brake and ABS lights are on but no codes for them.

I'm sure the #1 injector is to blame for rough idle and hard starting, no surprise there. But I have P0193 and P0532 codes. I have not charged A/C yet. I'm reading codes with the installed Edge CTS. The CTS shows constant 27,000psi rail pressure reading whether the engine is running or not. If ignition is off, then it shows zero.

Also noticed after driving for 1/2 mile, the rail pressure relief valve is so hot you can't touch it.

P0193 is for high rail pressure voltage. According to my wiring diagrams this is the pinout for the Rail pressure sensor:
PIN 1 - Return
PIN 2 - Signal
PIN 3 - +5V Supply

Checking the pins, I have +5v on both pins 2 and 3 with ignition on and sensor unplugged. Pin 1 has 34 ohms resistance to ground with ignition on and zero ohms with ignition off. I've pulled the plugs on the ECU and checked:
-continuity between pins 3 and 2
-continuity between pin 3 and every other pin in both ECU plugs
-continuity between pin 2 and every other pin in both ECU plugs

Neither have any continuity to anything other than the opposite end of the wire and that's 0.01ohms on both.

Continuity between pins 3 and 2 with the ECU plugged in, ignition off, is 26.14k ohms.

Is this computer shot or am I missing something?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
DFI 5X0.014's, Standard Pump Mods
S300 VNT Turbo, Mechanically Actuated
Home-built trans with goodies
Borgeson, DOR, Bilstein and Carli Upgrades

Old 05-23-2017, 08:41 PM   #2
Red Sleeper

Name: Red Sleeper
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Have you tried any other troubleshooting or come to any conclusion with the symptom?

I have nothing to add but am curious of the fix.
'91 Cummins w350 5spd

Old 05-23-2017, 11:05 PM   #3
CowboyEdition

Name: CowboyEdition
Title: Because Diesel
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sleeper View Post
Have you tried any other troubleshooting or come to any conclusion with the symptom?

I have nothing to add but am curious of the fix.
Well, tonight I unplugged the rail pressure sensor and cut the signal wire about 3" from the ECM plug. Turned the ignition on and checked voltage on the harness side of the cut (with Rail Pressure sensor unplugged) and got 0v. Then checked voltage at the ECM plug side of the cut - got 5v. So the ECU is definitely sending 5v to the Rail Pressure sensor through both the supply and signal wires. It has to be shorted inside somehow. Looks like I need to source another rebuilt ECM from allcomputerresources.com.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
DFI 5X0.014's, Standard Pump Mods
S300 VNT Turbo, Mechanically Actuated
Home-built trans with goodies
Borgeson, DOR, Bilstein and Carli Upgrades

Closed Thread