Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Turbo/Super Charger Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 11:12 AM   #41
dmigz57

Name: dmigz57
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESEL_POWER View Post

psi out of a -6 is definitely not the same as psi out of a -4. PSI IS PRESSURE PER SQUARE INCH. Bigger office let's more psi and volume out. Check with a Guage after the fitting before the turbo, you will be amazed
Now I don't have a Ph.D. In fluid dynamics or nothin but explain your theory here

Old 12-23-2016, 01:20 PM   #42
Thekid760

Name: Thekid760
Member`s Gallery
I'm not a propeller head in fluid dynamics either but the smaller the line that is post-regulator (which turbocharged oil line is) will have less pressure on the outlet (turbo inlet) than a larger line. This is due to friction loss. Now there's a fine line as you need to keep fluid velocity in a certain range.

And if the drain line is sized adequately (like smokem suggested) then that point is moot.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Old 12-23-2016, 05:19 PM   #43
lenahan05

Name: lenahan05
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
The s400sxe turbos compressor nut is not torqued anywhere close to tight from factory. They may as well be finger tight in my opinion. Anyone who builds turbos will tell you this. They spin on the shaft all the time. Red loctite is your friend! I wont sell one without addressing this issue.

As for your oil pressure argument, I now restrict my s400 and larger frames with a .100 orifice on the feed line. Its solved all of our oil piston ring/compressor oring blow outs that were causing oil to exit the centersection. I prefer -12 return line instead of the -10 return over 100psi also.

Also, What no one has mentioned here yet is crankcase pressure. From experience, it plays into effect a lot more than I would expect. There are a lot of people talking but this is really what you should be thinking about. Its as important as "line size" or "pressure" arguments....

Old 12-23-2016, 06:50 PM   #44
dmigz57

Name: dmigz57
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97rada View Post
Do you have any drain info on the 4094r? 12v block only having one drain hole kinda limits not running AN of some sort to the pan
Oil Water Lines | Turbobygarrett

Old 12-23-2016, 07:21 PM   #45
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenahan05 View Post
The s400sxe turbos compressor nut is not torqued anywhere close to tight from factory. They may as well be finger tight in my opinion. Anyone who builds turbos will tell you this. They spin on the shaft all the time. Red loctite is your friend! I wont sell one without addressing this issue.

As for your oil pressure argument, I now restrict my s400 and larger frames with a .100 orifice on the feed line. Its solved all of our oil piston ring/compressor oring blow outs that were causing oil to exit the centersection. I prefer -12 return line instead of the -10 return over 100psi also.

Also, What no one has mentioned here yet is crankcase pressure. From experience, it plays into effect a lot more than I would expect. There are a lot of people talking but this is really what you should be thinking about. Its as important as "line size" or "pressure" arguments....
That makes perfect sense and I have seen the same thing, add adequate vent to your setup if your pushing it hard.

Old 12-26-2016, 03:45 PM   #46
tall boy

Name: tall boy
Member`s Gallery
We run the S472SX-E on both rally trucks running the 12.7L CR engines close to 1130Hp @ 40PSI max 36/31PSI most of the time depending on engine RPM and altitude.

So far we had two failures in over 2500 miles of testing. Both related to oil starvation or low oil pressure.
One fail running for several minutes below 23PSI oil pressure and manage to repair/recover this one by changing the journal bearing as the trust was fine.
The other one did not survive well due to oil starvation (to small hole in the oil feed plumbing) in combination with multiply times the V clamp coming off the air charge system damaging the trust bearing due to hi turbine pressure in relation to boost pressure and failure on the journal bearing on the turbine side due to overheating and as oil is the only thing that cools the bearing structure………... also EMP plays a part in this as well in general on the S400 family while running no wastegate on them you need the replace and fix them with new bearing more often as the ones running under active boost control using a wastegate keeping the exhaust side under control.
We have seen S400 fail while using a smoke trap or particle filter to reduce smoke on circuit race applications only adding 3PSI to the exhaust side of things and no extreme EGT so yes there must be a pressure balance thing going on in the cartridge as it overheats the journal on the turbine side a lot faster this way.

S472SX-E In all not a bad turbocharger outperforming the 179167. We do not run this turbo as hi in pressure but as for RPM/airmass we run these off the chard for hours on end.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:08 AM   #47
ramthiscummins

Name: ramthiscummins
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenahan05 View Post

Not starting an argument, just asking a few questions:

So tighten the nut and you will be good to go?

If the only issue were the two mentioned above, how come the bw "sx" line don't fail as often? Or we just don't hear about them?

If one was running an s400 series charger, for example, on a common rail 5.9 stock head truck with less than 200% overs, you would assume there should be no issue with over spinning the turbo?

Old 04-07-2017, 02:43 PM   #48
allan5oh

Name: allan5oh
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tall boy View Post
We run the S472SX-E on both rally trucks running the 12.7L CR engines close to 1130Hp @ 40PSI max 36/31PSI most of the time depending on engine RPM and altitude.

So far we had two failures in over 2500 miles of testing. Both related to oil starvation or low oil pressure.
One fail running for several minutes below 23PSI oil pressure and manage to repair/recover this one by changing the journal bearing as the trust was fine.
The other one did not survive well due to oil starvation (to small hole in the oil feed plumbing) in combination with multiply times the V clamp coming off the air charge system damaging the trust bearing due to hi turbine pressure in relation to boost pressure and failure on the journal bearing on the turbine side due to overheating and as oil is the only thing that cools the bearing structure………... also EMP plays a part in this as well in general on the S400 family while running no wastegate on them you need the replace and fix them with new bearing more often as the ones running under active boost control using a wastegate keeping the exhaust side under control.
We have seen S400 fail while using a smoke trap or particle filter to reduce smoke on circuit race applications only adding 3PSI to the exhaust side of things and no extreme EGT so yes there must be a pressure balance thing going on in the cartridge as it overheats the journal on the turbine side a lot faster this way.

S472SX-E In all not a bad turbocharger outperforming the 179167. We do not run this turbo as hi in pressure but as for RPM/airmass we run these off the chard for hours on end.
What engine is this? I'm thinking of putting one of these on my 12.7 detroit. What size turbine housing are you using? Gated?

I don't plan on making more than 50 with it.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:43 AM   #49
YOUNG GUNS15

Name: YOUNG GUNS15
Title: Im AWESOME!!!!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESEL_POWER View Post
Pressure has everything to do with it, too high boost or drive psi ruins thrust bearings in short order, too high oil psi over loads the drain capability along with pushing oil past the sealing rings..

psi out of a -6 is definitely not the same as psi out of a -4. PSI IS PRESSURE PER SQUARE INCH. Bigger office let's more psi and volume out. Check with a Guage after the fitting before the turbo, you will be amazed

This is not correct basic hydraulic theory. Grab a hydraulics book and get back to us.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:10 PM   #50
fosterriley

Name: fosterriley
Title: Just wanna go fast
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramthiscummins View Post
Not starting an argument, just asking a few questions:

So tighten the nut and you will be good to go?

If the only issue were the two mentioned above, how come the bw "sx" line don't fail as often? Or we just don't hear about them?

If one was running an s400 series charger, for example, on a common rail 5.9 stock head truck with less than 200% overs, you would assume there should be no issue with over spinning the turbo?
Currently been running a 72sxe for 2k miles with 100% overs. No issues and very fun turbo on the street.

Closed Thread