Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Drag Racing
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Drag Racing Where ALL Racers are Welcome- From ET Bracket, all the way to ProStreet and Top Diesel!

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 12:50 PM   #1
JNewman92

Name: JNewman92
Title: Its Only $$$$$
Member`s Gallery
A 92's Journey "build thread"

Originally had this in another section of the forum but figured here would be a better place for it. A little history, the truck was purchased in 2012 right before my senior year of high school. Came out of Alabama where it lived it's entire life as a 100% stock, rust free truck, with only 112,000 miles. I picked it up for $6500 , back when diesels were still realistically priced lol. Throughout high school small things were done here an there while it was still a VE truck. Was taken to the track often, best time of 14.9s if I remember right, and was my daily driver. Time went on, off to college from Kentucky to Pennsylvania I went.

While in school I had decided It was time to remove the VE setup in favor of a P7100. I had acquired a 160 P7100 and all the necessary parts. I did the swap with the help of my friend "cummins12club" when I came home from school for a spring break. Within about three weeks a head gasket was blown and a stock transmissions life was ended when I went to take it down to track to get some updated times.

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Old 05-15-2017, 12:57 PM   #2
JNewman92

Member`s Gallery
Once I graduated college, was finally home an able to work on it. I pulled the head to assess the situation an prepare to just have the head resurfaced, new head gasket an focus on a new transmission.*

Well plans changed, now having more funds available from securing a good job an having more time I decided it was the perfect opportunity to do what I always wanted with it, some good bodywork an paint. From the beginning the paint had looked like the previous owner had repainted it in a barn along with the nice dings, scratches an hail damage that came with it. But hey I couldn't complain it was rust free an only 112k miles.*

So i decided to pull the engine along with the transmission an start disassembling the truck.*

Once everything was off an out of the truck, first starting point was the frame. Beings the truck had lived it's whole life prior in Alabama, the entire truck was virtually rust free. With direction from my good friend, I began wire wheeling the entire frame, prepping it to be painted.

Once it was all prepped an ready, with brush in hand I began rust prevention of the frame. Even though the quality would have been 10x better if it was sprayed instead of brushed I chose to brush it simply because I plan within the next 2 years after I enjoy it as a street truck to back halve it an go prostreet, but that's a story for later. It turned out pretty good I think for being brushed
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:02 PM   #3
JNewman92

Member`s Gallery
Once that was completed I began saving funds for the next big step which was bodywork an paint. When it was time the bed an all other body pieces were removed minus the cab an front fenders. The truck was taken to my good friends shop for body work an paint. There it was completely stripped down to bare metal, holes from the badges were welded up and any dents were repaired.*

Old 05-15-2017, 01:04 PM   #4
JNewman92

Member`s Gallery
A few small touches were done throughout the process as well. This being one of them, it's hard to tell if you don't know what your looking for. But the bottoms of the fenders on each end an both sides are actually cut back an rewelded for more tire clearance since I plan to lower the truck. Everything still looks factory an no more tires rubbing!

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:21 PM   #5
JNewman92

Member`s Gallery
Then finally came paint! No editing on any of the pictures by the way. The color actually in my opinion came out way better than it looks from the factory. Contains a lot of pearl, an color flops like crazy depending on the light. Here's some of it being out in the light for the first time*

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:29 PM   #6
JNewman92

Member`s Gallery
Ran out of time to keep posting. Will post more later today when I get free time

Old 05-15-2017, 02:05 PM   #7
SmokeShow

Name: SmokeShow
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Looks really good! I've enjoyed watching the progress on IG.

IG: @_mitch_ratliff_

'14 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew, w/ 3.5L EcoBoost, bone stock

83 GMC K30 CC SB 4WD awaiting D/A chassis swap

Old 05-15-2017, 08:07 PM   #8
Meyers Farms

Name: Meyers Farms
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
That is a sharp rig! Looking forward to more pics and the updated track times.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:45 AM   #9
59turbo

Name: 59turbo
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
That's beautiful man!!

Old 05-16-2017, 11:26 AM   #10
JNewman92

Member`s Gallery
Shortly after the doors, hood, and various small pieces such as the cowl screen followed the same process.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:28 AM   #11
JNewman92

Member`s Gallery
Since there was too much hail damage on my original hood, I acquired this one off a parts truck I had at the time that was rust an dent free. Yes the hood stack is going back on.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:43 AM   #12
JNewman92

Member`s Gallery
After bringing the truck back home, work soon began on the engine. Decided to keep the bottom end all stock beings that it only had 130k miles and i wasn't planning on going too crazy just yet. I had previously installed a cast Hamilton 188-220 around the time I had swapped pumps. I was able to pick up another international casting head that had already had porting done to it back in the day. I had the head o ringed an fitted with Hamilton 165# springs and Hamilton extreme duty pushrods were purchased as well. I then had the head ceramic coated an picked up a scheid one piece valve cover and intake plate. Decided to leave the intake shelf on due to funds at the time an not being necessary for the current power goal.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:45 AM   #13
JNewman92

Member`s Gallery
Of course the engine wouldn't look right without some color matching as well Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:47 AM   #14
JNewman92

Member`s Gallery
Tailgate and inner fenders followed. The LE plate was also color matchedClick the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:58 AM   #15
JNewman92

Member`s Gallery
I was able to sell the old 160 pump and pick up a 215 pump from a friens. Pump was then sent to Seth Farrell where it was calibrated an benched. It has 5ks, full cuts an flowed 650cc at Seth's, pin timed to 28*. I also purchased a set of 5x18s from scheid , billet tappet cover, and a custom set of stainless .093 lines to go over my one piece cover since I'm still running a intake shelf.
Air wise, i purchased a mishimoto 2nd Gen intercooler, a borgwarner 75/87/1.0 , and also purchased a T4 steed speed as well. Head was then reinstalled with headstuds, everything reassembled and installed back in the truck. Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:04 PM   #16
JNewman92

Member`s Gallery
Decided to have the compressor housing polished and turbine housing ceramic coated. Then after the everything was set back in the truck, I was able to focus on the interior. I installed sound deadener, new carpet, and had the headliner redone, no more sagging headliner! I always liked the look of the factory gauge cluster but I wanted to be different and have my own taste added. So I picked up a set of white faces for the gauges an had the gauge needles all color matched the same color as the truck. Gives it more of a SRT look I think. Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:13 PM   #17
JNewman92

Member`s Gallery
The old boat anchor NP205 was ditched for a passenger drop NP241 I picked up out of a gas 1st gen for some weight savings. Some time after, I had acquired funds for the transmission, cores, and work could begin. Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:22 PM   #18
JNewman92

Member`s Gallery
An the end result on the transmission. If you can't tell I really like this color lol. 47re race/street transmission built by Logan Yelton and Tim wright color matched to the body color. Sports their manual valve body, billet input, billet output, 48 front pump, 48 direct drum, and all the billet 2nd gear goodies, servos, and accumulator. If you notice this transmission utilizes the RH tailshaft on a RE main case so I didn't have to alter driveshafts, crossmember and 4wd linkage. Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:30 PM   #19
JNewman92

Member`s Gallery
Had the adapter plate for the transmission polished by a local guy cause I didn't want to over do it on the color, turned out beautiful! Converter from DPC arrived just in time to install everything. Converter is a triple disc , 2600 stall. During install I found out that the 2nd gen adapter plate pushed everything back roughly an inch which caused my factory transmission mount bracket to not line up with the transmission. With help, all that was needed was cutting and extending the adjustment slots for the bracket on the crossmember back further an everything went right in. Also installed a goerend deep pan. Passenger side output 241 is installed. For transmission coolers, I chose to run two B&M supercoolers with fans.
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by JNewman92; 05-16-2017 at 12:31 PM.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:34 PM   #20
JNewman92

Member`s Gallery
Decision was made to also lower the truck, shortly after. 3 leaf springs removed on each side in the front, new 2" blocks installed in the rear, definetly big difference and I love it. New air shifter came in from precision performance, have to say very nice piece an good kit they offer with their top of the line shifter. Will be ordering a split shift control box from ACD to allow for shifting at different RPMs if desired between 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. The wheels shown are from Bogart racing wheels, went with a 15 due to the more tire options for that size available, these are 15x10 with a billet center section, so no worries going from track to driving on the street if I wanted an if I remember right they only weigh 18lbs a piece. They definetly did a fantastic job making these and i highly recommend them!Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Closed Thread