Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Chassis, Suspension and Driveline
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 08:21 PM   #41
Lower

Name: Lower
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Those tires will always ride like ass.
Right. Just do like your momma did and fish em out of the toilet.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:49 PM   #42
crabbelle

Name: crabbelle
Title: Banned
Member`s Gallery
thats what i was afraid of. im just going to keep them until i can get 22's

Old 08-31-2010, 07:38 AM   #43
crabbelle

Member`s Gallery
well after some research on here and duallyscene.com. im getting a parallel 4 link, c-notch and pan hard bar from suicidedoors.com and ditching the leaf springs. i should have done this 2 years ago but i was dumb. for the mean time im going to pull the air bags trim some of the frame andjst deal with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cnotch2.jpg (23.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Panhard_Bar_Kit_0.jpg (18.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Parallel4-LinkKit_0.jpg (21.2 KB, 0 views)

Old 08-31-2010, 08:56 AM   #44
Johndeere9610

Name: Johndeere9610
Title: Ford guy
Member`s Gallery
Just some info on pressure. My semi on air ride unloaded has about 6psi in the bags and loaded it runs about 58 psi and that is no springs just sitting on air. So with your 5 or ten pounds with springs its going to ride like ass. I'm also thinking semi bags are tied together and they have a leveler valve that is tied to the frame and axle when the truck is loaded and the frame down the lever valve adds air to get back to the preset ride height. The trucks also have a dump valve so in case you have a low trailer you can dump the air to get under it.

Don't if this help but thought I would share

Old 08-31-2010, 09:14 AM   #45
toolmanoffroad

Name: toolmanoffroad
Title: Dont tread on me
Member`s Gallery
Thumbs up

Finding the sweet spot takes some time, but I would imagine that you are running to high of a pressure. I have no leaves and only run 20lbs max at ride height (9in bag) and 40lbs with a gooseneck. As far as the ride goes the bags being tied together have nothing to to with that, and will only effect leaning when cornering. It also looks like you are running 1/4in line and that bleeds side to side much slower than 3/8. If ya need help let me know.. hell I might even have an old valve block lying around.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
The chains are temporary, you dont want all that weight hanging on the rack with nothing to limit the travel

Old 08-31-2010, 10:01 AM   #46
Joesixpack

Name: Joesixpack
Title: Pull'n it.
Member`s Gallery
I'd say those bags are too big in diameter for a decent ride loaded light. A longer smaller diameter bag would ride way better.

Semi's have the bags tied together just like you have, that isn't the problem. A ride height valve would be nice.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:30 AM   #47
toolmanoffroad

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesixpack View Post
I'd say those bags are too big in diameter for a decent ride loaded light. A longer smaller diameter bag would ride way better.

Semi's have the bags tied together just like you have, that isn't the problem. A ride height valve would be nice.
Normal rule of thumb is run the biggest bag you can fit. A small diameter bag takes way too much pressure to lift. With a large bag you can make it ride like a Caddy... Well maybe a Buick... Bag position plays a big part also. If the bag is mounted too high or two low your pressure at "ride height" can be way soft or hard. For a custom setup its very hard to just mount it and be done with it.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:54 AM   #48
1lowdiesel

Name: 1lowdiesel
Member`s Gallery
Correct the bigger the better. If you were to switch to a sleeve bag it would make a world of difference. I didn't realize you were mono leafed and running bags, they are known for a ****ty ride. Doing the 4 link and panhard is going to be a world of difference over what you have now. Run some Slam RE8s back there either over axle or in a 6 Link set up like i'm running. as far as the bags being tied together, unless your valves are far away from the bags isolating them isn't going to make that big of a difference. I have my bags tied together but my valves are only like a foot from the T. i can take corners like a beast. The position of the shock in the link set up will also make a difference.

Running load helper bags with full leafs VS what you have are no comparison BTW.

Also you will want to call SSD before you order that stuff b/c they are usually back logged for a few weeks to a month before they can get stuff shipped out.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:02 PM   #49
dieselbeef

Name: dieselbeef
Title: dick doggin
Member`s Gallery
ummm..never noticed how they bounce on the lowriders rigs??

01 2500 4x4 quad cab all stock/drag comp

07.5 3500 4x4 dually 4 dr 6.7 d&j extreme, fleece cheetah, gorend triple, cat filters,

rip wrongway...

Old 08-31-2010, 04:24 PM   #50
toolmanoffroad

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselbeef View Post
ummm..never noticed how they bounce on the lowriders rigs??

Thats from a chitty setup, and most lowriders are running torched springs, no travel, chitty shocks if any... its just as bad as the lifted truck guys with huge stacked springs(Man I miss lowriders ). If done right airbags are awesome... done wrong and there a nightmare (im still chasing freekin leaks)

Old 08-31-2010, 04:35 PM   #51
crabbelle

Member`s Gallery
nightmare doesnt come close lol. i rode in a bagged/body dropped chevy today and it felt amazing. then i get in my truck and i get a headache lol

Old 08-31-2010, 05:09 PM   #52
1lowdiesel

Member`s Gallery
hey you can always buy a bagged and bd'd chevy with a cummins and be done.... all the hard work is already done

Old 08-31-2010, 05:11 PM   #53
Rods

Name: Rods
Title: Turbo Crasher
Member`s Gallery
I like to bag my 95 2wd 3500 is there a DIY site with some info and are the semi bags best to use also can u tow say 10K with just bags in the back?

Old 08-31-2010, 05:18 PM   #54
1lowdiesel

Member`s Gallery
You don't need semi bags but they do help to tow that kind of weight so you can keep the psi down. There are really no sites for a DIY but just do some searching on some sport truck sites and read and learn.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:20 PM   #55
crabbelle

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowdiesel View Post
hey you can always buy a bagged and bd'd chevy with a cummins and be done.... all the hard work is already done
i still might lol

Old 08-31-2010, 06:09 PM   #56
apocalypse1812

Name: apocalypse1812
Title: Nailed It!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolmanoffroad View Post
As far as the ride goes the bags being tied together have nothing to to with that, and will only effect leaning when cornering.
How so? when you hit a pothole one wheel dips down, that bag "inflates", and the other bag deflates...
when you hit lets say a log, that tire will go up, deflating the bag, causing the other bag to inflate...

If you have a chitty road, the ride will be noticeably different...

you really notice it in a corner, because youre in it longer than you are going over a rough patch/obstacle in the road.

Just my

Old 08-31-2010, 06:18 PM   #57
1lowdiesel

Member`s Gallery
wooooo

Old 08-31-2010, 06:23 PM   #58
1lowdiesel

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse1812 View Post
How so? when you hit a pothole one wheel dips down, that bag "inflates", and the other bag deflates...
when you hit lets say a log, that tire will go up, deflating the bag, causing the other bag to inflate...

If you have a chitty road, the ride will be noticeably different...

you really notice it in a corner, because youre in it longer than you are going over a rough patch/obstacle in the road.

Just my
That compression vs air transfer is so fast that you will never be able to notice a difference in ride either way. If you hit a pot hole or a log you're gonna feel it no matter which way you look at it. If you're just looking to reduce body roll run the bags seperate, if you're trying to make it ride better going straight that's not a point of interest.

jmho

Old 08-31-2010, 09:43 PM   #59
toolmanoffroad

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowdiesel View Post
That compression vs air transfer is so fast that you will never be able to notice a difference in ride either way. If you hit a pot hole or a log you're gonna feel it no matter which way you look at it. If you're just looking to reduce body roll run the bags seperate, if you're trying to make it ride better going straight that's not a point of interest.

jmho
Bingo.. I would say its best to have them separated, but it also sucks trying to level out the truck with them tied together. I can steer my truck down the road just by adding air left or right in the rear.... fun, but also a pain in the azz. When they were tied together it always set level, but would start to lean in a long corner.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:21 PM   #60
Lower

Name: Lower
Member`s Gallery
1997 Dodge Ram Air Suspension Kits
Bolt on kits.
Right. Just do like your momma did and fish em out of the toilet.

Closed Thread