Head gasket question

blackcloudCTD95

We're doing the head on my brothers truck, the machine shop took .8 off the head so obviously you get a .10 thicker gasket. But dodge or Cummins can find them they say it's either a .25 or .50 witch to be that would be if you bored the block. It's a 98 12v

Can someone please give me a part number thank you :bow:

Thank you guys. When I did my truck years ago everyone was in the .020 kick. Come to find out they use the same gaskets thank you again

If only .008" was removed from the head and you are running an otherwise stock motor with stock cam, you most likely don't need the extra valve to piston clearance provided by a thicker head gasket and therefore you should get a standard gasket. This isn't a gasser motor with a combustion pocket built in the head that has decreased from milling the head, because the head is flat, all you've changed is the valve depth or distance from the valve faces to the pistons and usually there is plenty of valve to piston clearance on stock trucks to where losing .008" will not hurt anything. As far as compression, you'll lose around 0.40 cc's from the valve pockets if the valves are not reworked and set back deeper into the head, this will raise the stock compression from 17.5:1 to 17.6:1 or not enough to worry about.

However, if you decide to go with a .010" oversized head gasket, you'll drop the compression from 17.5:1 to 16.89:1. If you don't adjust the valve depth and factor in the decreased volume, you'd end up near 16.99:1.

Either scenario will we just fine for a stock truck; I'd personally go with the stock gasket and slightly higher compression if it's a daily driver 400 HP or less type truck because higher compression will net better fuel economy, faster turbo spoolup, and easier cold weather starting.

Either scenario will we just fine for a stock truck; I'd personally go with the stock gasket and slightly higher compression if it's a daily driver 400 HP or less type truck because higher compression will net better fuel economy, faster turbo spoolup, and easier cold weather starting.

This right here.

It's mostly stock 4k gsk, 62/71/12 phatshaft. 19* of timing and 5x12 injectors. No other plans for cams etc. Down the road a possible second turbo. Oh and 60# bd springs with oem valves (intake valves were replaced)

Out of curiosity where did you get the compression numbers?

It's mostly stock 4k gsk, 62/71/12 phatshaft. 19* of timing and 5x12 injectors. No other plans for cams etc. Down the road a possible second turbo. Oh and 60# bd springs with oem valves (intake valves were replaced)

Out of curiosity where did you get the compression numbers?

5900 cc's in a stock motor.

983 cc's in a single cylinder.

983/stock 17.5 compression ratio = 56.2 cc's of dead space

5.1 cm average valve pocket diameter

0.020 cm removed from head (0.008")

etc, etc. it's all math.

Back