Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 12:13 PM   #1
J-Pipes

Name: J-Pipes
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Best battery charger?

With Jory's battery thread, I'm thinking I should take better care of my batteries in everything. Currently have a old 6v/12v 6a charger that's been on the farm as long as i can remember, and a little 12v 1.5a charger. Have to put an ear to both of them to see if they're working or not! With my old tractor hobby, something 6v capable would be nice, as well as something that can function as a jump box, all the way to a trickle charger.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Old 02-24-2021, 05:26 AM   #2
SmokinCAT

Name: SmokinCAT
Title: Cheap and Easy.
Member`s Gallery
Not much response on this, but the best one we have had in a while on the farm is an analog one, I like it because there is no electronics to fail, and some times the microprocessor controlled ones will not charge if the battery is low enough it cant read the voltage.

Old 02-24-2021, 05:32 AM   #3
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinCAT View Post
Not much response on this, but the best one we have had in a while on the farm is an analog one, I like it because there is no electronics to fail, and some times the microprocessor controlled ones will not charge if the battery is low enough it cant read the voltage.

I won't say the best one is an analog, however sometimes the smarts ones aren't very smart, and the analog one will charge a really dead battery that a smart one wont. So hard to go without the good old analog ones.

I have multiple ones from harbor freight that I use as a maintainer, I have a couple battery tender juniors and then a few off brands that I have picked up from northern, amazaon, ebay etc.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 02-24-2021, 06:30 AM   #4
BigPapa

Name: BigPapa
Title: Truckless
Member`s Gallery
Most "Smart Chargers" won't charge a battery that's at less than 9V. All you have to do is hook the dead battery up, then connect a good battery to the dead one with jumper cables just long enough to make the charger kick on, then disconnect it.

I've had a Battery Tender Plus for over 20 years that still works great. Only puts out 1.25amp so if you want more you'll need something else. I'm with Jory on the slow charging. I've seen MANY powersport batteries that have been cooked on a 10amp charger. My father's been through more Schumacher's than I can count on both hands over the past 50 years.

2003 Avalanche Z71

Common sense is like deodorant. The people that need it most never use it.

Last edited by BigPapa; 02-24-2021 at 06:33 AM.

Old 02-24-2021, 07:23 AM   #5
J-Pipes

Member`s Gallery
Would this, or one like this be along the lines of what you guys are recommending?
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...MaAuqdEALw_wcB

Old 02-24-2021, 07:37 AM   #6
JWhite

Name: JWhite
Title: Trained monkey
Member`s Gallery
I've got a Schumacher from TSC as well, but it's an older analog type. Seems to work great, only has one amp setting for 6v though. I have a Deltran battery tender also for slow stuff

Old 02-24-2021, 09:20 AM   #7
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Member`s Gallery
Battery Chargers - Clore Automotive

Digital with manual override on the one I have.

Looks like The PL3750 is what I have.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250

Last edited by biggy238; 02-24-2021 at 09:23 AM.

Old 02-24-2021, 10:39 AM   #8
mhuggler

Name: mhuggler
Title: One piece at a time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Pipes View Post
With Jory's battery thread, I'm thinking I should take better care of my batteries in everything. Currently have a old 6v/12v 6a charger that's been on the farm as long as i can remember, and a little 12v 1.5a charger. Have to put an ear to both of them to see if they're working or not! With my old tractor hobby, something 6v capable would be nice, as well as something that can function as a jump box, all the way to a trickle charger.

It's not any help for fast charging or jump starting, but for keeping batteries fresh you can't beat a good desulphator. The good ones send a digital signal to the battery to keep the sulphur where it belongs and the charge correct. I use a dual bank desulphator from Pulsetech. It's paid for itself many times over.
2002 2500 4x4 ETH/DEE-F1 Mach 5's/62/65/12/Smarty/ATS Ex.manifold/AFE intake/TST Comp./.020 marine gasket/o-ringed/ARP studs/5"stacks/Airdog 150/Isspro guages/Southbend 3600 DD/3.54 gears/leveling kit/Bilstein 5100frt,5150rr/37" BFG A/T's on 18" Eagle 114's/Borgeson SS/DSS

Old 02-24-2021, 10:58 AM   #9
J-Pipes

Member`s Gallery
Ok, the link biggy posted looks really nice. I'll look into the Sulphur thing more. Realistically, my car and the wife's should be fine, both get driven a lot. My truck sits more than I'd prefer, weeks at a time on occasion. It's the 4 tractors and mower that I'd rather not have to continually replace batteries in. I'll try to get pictures of what I've got now for comparison.

Old 02-24-2021, 02:37 PM   #10
MAXX IT OUT

Name: MAXX IT OUT
Title: RUNS AGAIN
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuggler View Post
It's not any help for fast charging or jump starting, but for keeping batteries fresh you can't beat a good desulphator. The good ones send a digital signal to the battery to keep the sulphur where it belongs and the charge correct. I use a dual bank desulphator from Pulsetech. It's paid for itself many times over.
This isn't a fast charger, but it kicks butt for jump starting. I have used it with no battery in the vehicle on cars and light equipment, I haven't had any issues with it and hasn't let me down.

NOCO - 3000A Lithium Jump Starter - GB150

Old 02-25-2021, 07:02 AM   #11
J-Pipes

Member`s Gallery
Here's what I've got. Really like to have one of the bigger ones on wheels that can be used to jump start with as well. Considering just trying to get a few more little ones along the lines of the one amp one to use on the tractors. Not real crazy about leaving a big one out where it could be walked off.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Old 02-25-2021, 07:19 AM   #12
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
I need to buy a charger with at least 4 ports or so. I have too many batteries to maintain over the winter now and just moving one around doesn't keep up.

I here for multi-battery maintainer info. ;D

This is a great single battery charger/maintainer. I think it even recovered both of my Optima Redtops; however, it will not charge a really low one. I have to put the old roll around on them to get them up to 10-11 volts then swap to the smart charger.

Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1249[1].jpg (434.1 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by 4x4dually; 02-25-2021 at 07:23 AM.

Old 02-25-2021, 07:51 AM   #13
SmokinCAT

Name: SmokinCAT
Title: Cheap and Easy.
Member`s Gallery
Another brand I saw popping up was associated, they still have quite a few manual chargers they sell as well as processor controlled options.

Associated Equipment

Old 02-25-2021, 08:09 AM   #14
JWhite

Name: JWhite
Title: Trained monkey
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhite View Post
I've got a Schumacher from TSC as well, but it's an older analog type. Seems to work great, only has one amp setting for 6v though. I have a Deltran battery tender also for slow stuff
I went out to look, mines model #SE 4022. I'm assuming they don't make it anymore

Old 02-25-2021, 09:33 AM   #15
BigPapa

Name: BigPapa
Title: Truckless
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
However, it will not charge a really low one. I have to put the old roll around on them to get them up to 10-11 volts then swap to the smart charger.
Didn't read my post, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapa View Post
Most "Smart Chargers" won't charge a battery that's at less than 9V. All you have to do is hook the dead battery up, then connect a good battery to the dead one with jumper cables just long enough to make the charger kick on, then disconnect it.

2003 Avalanche Z71

Common sense is like deodorant. The people that need it most never use it.

Old 02-25-2021, 10:03 AM   #16
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Pipes View Post
Here's what I've got. Really like to have one of the bigger ones on wheels that can be used to jump start with as well. Considering just trying to get a few more little ones along the lines of the one amp one to use on the tractors. Not real crazy about leaving a big one out where it could be walked off.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

We had a older Matco charger on wheels at the shop.
One of the guys accidentally backed his truck over it and crushed it.

The charger itself inside the big metal box was maybe 4" by 4"'s. Then a small fan and the rest was empty space.

Old 02-25-2021, 10:13 AM   #17
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
We had a older Matco charger on wheels at the shop.
One of the guys accidentally backed his truck over it and crushed it.

The charger itself inside the big metal box was maybe 4" by 4"'s. Then a small fan and the rest was empty space.

Lol I watched a farmer jump his tractor with a charger/starter, roll it behind the tractor and immediately back over it with the same tractor.

Ahh the things that make your day interesting

Old 02-25-2021, 06:06 PM   #18
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
Lol I watched a farmer jump his tractor with a charger/starter, roll it behind the tractor and immediately back over it with the same tractor.

Ahh the things that make your day interesting
I ended up with mine because someone left it on the tracks of a bulldozer.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250

Closed Thread