Ford 9600

We had a 7000 a long time ago, it had dual power,
Weaker? am i wrong in thinking that the 5000on up to the 9600 had the same tranny? Just had to put a clutch in the 9700 and it sure looked like the same.

Smokin binder, what all do you have?

Sweet! I had the same idea when i was looking to replace the 6.o leaker. But the availability of parts made the cummins look better.

Ford 5000 through 7710-7740 had the same transmissions and rear axles with different gearing avail. 8000 through 9600 had the same trans and rear axle, with different gearing avail. A ford 401 will bolt up to anything with a BSD engine in it. 3000 all the way up to a 9600. will even bolt up to the newer 8670-8970 genesis tractors(needs to be drilled for top mounting bolts. Find a 8210 Hood, they had a 6cyl hood holes will line up and everything!!

Dual-power transmissions are weaker, cause you one more planetary to go through, that is the week link in the dual power trans

Kind of like the T/A in the internationals. I've seen the Torque Amplifier in the internationals, but i've never seen the dual power in the fords. It will probably take as much power as i can afford!

Not to many people around here that pull them, Which one do you pull? As said earlier, the 9600 is a real heavy beast when it pulls on the scale. That is why I'm thinking of swapping the 401 in a 5 or 7000.
I bet that thing will be a hause in the field and on the track

I built a prostock tractor, using a 456 genesis engine, bored to 480ci. I used a ford 5000 trans and rear axle, had to make a billet input shaft, 3disc clutch, custom roll cage and a 8970 genesis hood. Starting to build a new 3 charger alky tractor this spring. The 9600 can get alot lighter, need to get rid of the cast wheel centers in the rear, loose the top cover and 3point. A friend of mine is building an 8000, he is trying to get it down to 8000lb class. He is using a 474 truck engine, pro farm cam and a columbus p-pump, he is just waiting to see what turbo options he has.

When you say "Top cover" you mean top of the tranny? The 8000's ive seen look a heck of a lot lighter than my 96. I've got the factory duals, i guess i could put the dual clamp in place of the hub, or would it be better to fab one up?

Does the 474 truck motor come with a p-pump? I tried to buy a forestry truck that had been used as a tree cushion, but it brought too much $$$$.

Got any pics of your tractor?

I mean the rockshaft housing, it weighs 350-400lbs. its located on top of the rear axle. Take the duals off and use the clamp on hubs with pressed steel wheels, should lose quite a bit there. If it has a cab, lose it.

The 474 has a p-pump.

I will get some pics posted up in a few days

Will the mack inj. tips work on a 7710? How much of a hp increase will be seen? I can't go too wild with it because of funding and they have a hp limit in these classes (100 and 110) otherwise, i would sell it for a 8210 and put a charger on it. Also, without changing out the rear wheels draining fluid, where can some pounds be shed on this tractor? The three point is off and running it bone dry on fuel. Need to keep in farmable. Need to get in the lower classes where i might stand a chance.

The castings should be the same for the 456 and 474, Right?

Slick, I can't help you. Wish I could but i'm still learning myself.

BTW.......Have any of you thought of coming down to Smokin' 2010?

I'm a committee member and we plan to have a great pull for tractors and trucks..... We will pull them all!!!!! I need some FORDS down here!!!!

No. They weren't genesis engines until the Middle 90's. It has a 268 ci with a small AR turbo, minimec pump, but its gonna get a hy35 before pulling season.

Back