Limit Straps/ Devices

Fireman450

Daring to be diffrent!!
I need to come up with some way to strap my front end down on my truck that dosnt affect upward travel of the suspention. This past weekend I threw two big ratchet straps over my motor mounts and under my front axel and it helped the hook alot. But when the front end came down at the end of my run it snapped one of my straps. So I need to come up with something better than straps or chains.
Anybody have any suggestions? I do have a solid front axel.

Lynn

why not but some actual limit straps. you can mount them on the outside of the frame.

Limiting Straps

Garrett

Might look into those, and @ 30 bucks a piece they aint to bad to try.
Gave them a call and they said they should handel 8 to 10k lbs easy.
Im just worried that if I bounce them to hard ill break em like I did my ratchet strap..lol

Lynn

The off road guys use limit straps and rarely break them... Just be sure that they will be mounted free of any obstructions that may cut or damage the strap as that will cause it to break...

If monster trucks and trophy trucks can run them off road at 100mph with tons of travel, i dont think you will break them pulling at 20-30mph with the front end bouncing even a few times.

Might look into those, and @ 30 bucks a piece they aint to bad to try.
Gave them a call and they said they should handel 8 to 10k lbs easy.
Im just worried that if I bounce them to hard ill break em like I did my ratchet strap..lol

Lynn

Did it break them, or cut them?

Chris

Did it break them, or cut them?

Chris

Ihad one that had a nick in it, so it may have just been enough of a shock to have finished it off. I dont think there would have been anything to have cut it, but I could be wrong, it was one of them hey lets try this real quick things... :doh:
So getting the proper length strap and getting a good mount to the frame seems like a good bet so far.

Lynn

why is that?

Well on a 2wd any time the front end comes up you loose hitch height and also on an unstrapped front end the truck dosnt have to work as hard to lift the front end until it reaches maximum travel, then it must work harder to lift the front end off the ground. By strapping the front you take out that first bit of slack and get a better weight transfer as well as not as much lost hitch height. Therefore more traction.

Lynn

Not sure on tha one I just know a 4x4 dosnt like to be tied down, Saw a truck once when he came off the line his left front wheel came about a foot off the ground and he shattered everything.... Bragg explain this ...lol

Lynn

Yes a small nick, cut or tear will cause the strap to fail... That's why it will be so important to properly locate the limit straps on the truck... In off road they typically install them on the same plane as the shocks so that they have good clearance. Just be sure to determine the length and mounting locations carefully or make room for adjustments...

Ihad one that had a nick in it, so it may have just been enough of a shock to have finished it off. I dont think there would have been anything to have cut it, but I could be wrong, it was one of them hey lets try this real quick things... :doh:
So getting the proper length strap and getting a good mount to the frame seems like a good bet so far.

Lynn

Yes a small nick, cut or tear will cause the strap to fail... That's why it will be so important to properly locate the limit straps on the truck... In off road they typically install them on the same plane as the shocks so that they have good clearance. Just be sure to determine the length and mounting locations carefully or make room for adjustments...

Thanks for the advice Chris.

Lynn

Axle tiedown straps work good also.I think we had talked about stapping the front axle last year didn't we.You are moving in the rite direction.way to go.Call me when you have a minute Lynn
Dale

not real sure on the exact theory of why its disaster on a 4wd, but every 4wd i've seen that has tried tighing the front end down solid has always instantly went into a bad bounce and shattered the front drive train.

not real sure on the exact theory of why its disaster on a 4wd, but every 4wd i've seen that has tried tighing the front end down solid has always instantly went into a bad bounce and shattered the front drive train.

both 2nd and 3rd gen dodges? also what did they use to tie the front end down?

I really can't see why it would bounce like that

both 2nd and 3rd gen dodges? also what did they use to tie the front end down?

I really can't see why it would bounce like that

did some more thinking about this, and I think the only way a solid front would work is with a rear that is blocked solid.

Back